New Campus…time to assume first CoA?

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

08 November 2006 21:33

charlesj68 wrote:

To my eyes at least this is better, but still too busy.

Maybe, use the swords to divide the field per saltire, place one tower each in the dexter and sinister divisions, a lamp in the base and the book in chief?  This image shows what I mean, but it’s bad because of proper-on-color.  But, I would also suggest making all the charges gold, simplifiying the color scheme even further.

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/90d80342b2.jpg

I like this, but i don’t like the Or swords for some reason… maybe proper still. Or even Grey hilted or

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

08 November 2006 23:06

Colin,

The only reason I included swords in my blazon attempt was to maintain the allusion to the MacGregor chiefly Arms.  If no other charges from the MacGregor Arms are used, I see little need to keep the swords.

What are your thoughts?

—Guy

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

09 November 2006 14:24

Hey, everyone! I’ve been a little under the weather, but I’m back & I’ll chime in, too. All that follows are my opinions:

1. Just because somebody was named MacGregor is no reason to pillage the chiefly arms. Certainly he could have been a member of the clan had he wished it, but has no right to the arms or charges from the arms.

2. The College in question is having a debate about their symbolic identity. Some want the A within the circle & square and towers, some don’t. Let’s give them both!

3. I love the idea of fountains in Or and Azure to pun on the name of Yellow Creek.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/PaddyW_photos/antichicollege.jpg

Now, granted, I’m not an artist and am stuck with Paint & one other program, but howzabout someting like this?

Azure an Open Book Proper on a Chief dovetailed Or a Lamp of Knowledge Sable flamed Gules between two Fountains Or and Azure. Set for a crest: issuant from a torse Or and Azure, between two towers of Antioch College proper the Antioch "A within a circle and square" Gules.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

09 November 2006 14:46

Cont’d:

This gives the ‘old school’ their towers and A and gives the new school something of its very own (including a handy pun on their name). I don’t like writing on arms (even in books), so I omitted it, but think "Antioch" is way too obvious. They’re a Liberal Arts College, so how about ex ars veritas-From art, truth.

And, should they want it, it gives Antioch a way to brand all colleges in their university system: a crest for Antioch. And, to go further, if they think some more identification would be nice, how about the word "MacGregor" on a scroll beneath. Not everyone needs a motto, the school name would go there nicely.