Members’ arms pages

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

29 July 2006 21:24

Joseph McMillan wrote:

They already are…see http://www.heraldrysociety.us/MemberArmPages/membersarms.php?page=Angel

I’m looking at Gunny’s blazon. The crest issues from a "torse of the colours" but is azure doubled argent. The main colour of the shield is or. The bends are azure, argent, and gules. If the torse is "of the colours", how did it end up azure doubled argent?

Not trying to be picky, just trying to learn! smile

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

07 August 2006 13:17
Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

07 August 2006 22:15

These additions are very nice. My compliments to them and failte (welcome).

GJKS

GJKS
Total Posts:  375
Joined  07-08-2004

08 August 2006 09:07

Patrick Williams wrote:

I’m looking at Gunny’s blazon. The crest issues from a "torse of the colours" but is azure doubled argent. The main colour of the shield is or. The bends are azure, argent, and gules. If the torse is "of the colours", how did it end up azure doubled argent?

Because the Mantling is quoted as being Azure doubled Argent.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

08 August 2006 09:44

But as we know from the practice of the Chief Herald of Ireland and the former practice of Lyon Court (as discussed on this forum in the past), a "wreath of the colors" does not necessarily match the mantling, it matches the principal color and metal of the arms.  There are numerous examples in Ireland, and formerly in Scotland, of a wreath in one pair of tinctures and mantling in another, especially gules doubled argent.  In fact, there are even a couple of College of Arms grants depicted in The Heraldry Society’s members arms gallery:

http://www.theheraldrysociety.com/resources/andrewlavis.htm

and

http://www.theheraldrysociety.com/resources/tonyryan.htm

which show the wreath blue and white and the mantling red and white, although there’s no indication that these are official emblazonments (in fact, the laying of the gold in the chief on the first example seems to sloppy to be College of Arms work) and the blazons given don’t mention tinctures of either the wreath or the mantling.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

08 August 2006 09:58

GJKS wrote:

Ah. Yet, at least here on the members’ arms pages, no mention of mantling is made in the blazon.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

08 August 2006 11:04

So, Michael, when I have my blazon nailed down and have renderings (and after I register them) do I send that information to you to have it included on the members arms page?

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

08 August 2006 11:20
Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

08 August 2006 11:23

Patrick Williams wrote:

So, Michael, when I have my blazon nailed down and have renderings (and after I register them) do I send that information to you to have it included on the members arms page?

That will work.  Take some time and make sure you are done tweaking the design before sending them in, i.e., prepare yourself for living with the arms for the rest of your life.  :o

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

08 August 2006 11:27

Michael Swanson wrote:

That will work.  Take some time and make sure you are done tweaking the design before sending them in, i.e., prepare yourself for living with the arms for the rest of your life.  :o

Oh, most definately. I’m working with Donnchadh on them, and I’m sure there’ll be tweaking and moaning and groaning and a few other ings before I get to the registering and then posting! Should be, oh, at least an hour or two. wink

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

08 August 2006 11:35

GJKS wrote:

Here is another link to the blazon.

http://www.amateurheralds.org/armorial/angel.html

If there is something missing, I’ll be glad to add it to the AHS site, but I posted what was sent to me in an email by the armiger.

GJKS

GJKS
Joined  07-08-2004

08 August 2006 21:10

Those web-pages are in the process of being gradually up-dated.  Gunny’s page should actually mention the mantling as well as it is not ‘of the colours’ of the shield.

GJKS

GJKS
Joined  07-08-2004

08 August 2006 21:21

Michael Swanson wrote:

Here is another link to the blazon.

http://www.amateurheralds.org/armorial/angel.html

That URL refers to web-pages that are in the process of being up-dated.  That blazon should include a reference to the mantling being Azure doubled Argent.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

24 August 2006 13:52
Scotus

Scotus
Total Posts:  322
Joined  13-05-2005

24 August 2006 15:00

Either the "on" or the "charged with" needs to be taken out of the blazon of the shield.  They both cannot remain.  The eye is either ON the hand or the hand is CHARGED WITH the eye.