Wondering if he’ll apply for a coat of arms now that he’ll be knighted:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16336879/

How about: Vert, a joshua tree Proper?

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

04 January 2007 21:15

If Bono is able [and willing] to obtain a UK passport, he could then receive the accolade and be styled Sir Paul Hewson.

Hmmmmmmm…..... isn’t it easier for citizens of Eire to get UK passports—or is that not done anymore?

—Guy

Edward Wenzl

Edward Wenzl
Total Posts:  158
Joined  18-04-2006

04 January 2007 21:24

http://www.macca-central.com/macca-news/MoreNews.cfm?ID=964

This reminded me that Sir Paul of the Beatles was granted a CoA.  Click above.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

04 January 2007 21:44

I think Elton John has a coat of arms as well, but I’ve never seen it. Don’t know about Cliff Richard, Tom Jones, Mick Jagger and Bob Geldoff—I think that covers all the Knights of Rock.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

04 January 2007 23:40

i’m not sure Guy. i’m not sure how i feel about this whole thing. kuddos to the newest knight of rock-n-roll anyway.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

05 January 2007 02:25

Guy Power wrote:

If Bono is able [and willing] to obtain a UK passport, he could then receive the accolade and be styled Sir Paul Hewson

I like Sir Bono better

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

05 January 2007 03:40

arriano wrote:

I think Elton John has a coat of arms as well, but I’ve never seen it. Don’t know about Cliff Richard, Tom Jones, Mick Jagger and Bob Geldoff—I think that covers all the Knights of Rock.

I have seen the arms of Elton John once in a tv show and as I recall the arms were something like per saltire or and gules with in the or parts discs sable and in the gules part discs argent (to symbolize the colours of Watford fc and records and cd´s) and in chief a sort of keyboard argent and sable.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

05 January 2007 06:21

As for Elton John I found this on heraldica.org:

"Roger Forder writes:

According to the December 1988 issue of The Heraldry Gazette,

Elton John’s shield is blazoned as follows:

Per saltire gules and or, in fess two pellets pierced and

in pale as many plates also pierced, on a chief argent

issuant in chief seven pallets retrait two three and two

sable.

The arms were granted in 1986.  The chief indeed represents part

of a piano keyboard;  the pierced roundels no doubt represent

discs (i.e. records -  vinyl and silver/platinum?);  red and

gold are apparently the colours of Watford Football Club of which

EJ is/was Chairman."

emrys

emrys
Joined  08-04-2006

05 January 2007 07:42

Well it is nice to know that my memory is not fading yet wink

and I found this on Cliff Richards arms not a blason but:

The impressive gated entrance to his property sports his coat of arms, which was approved by heraldic authorities, which depicts a little bird right on the top, (being the singer, of course) pictured on a rock – which Cliff says denotes rock ’n roll - and which is surrounded (most appropriately) by gold discs: then there are four flames (which represent The Shadows), and a netting design which represents his love of the game of tennis. Religious elements include the Cross of Christ, the helmet of salvation and a quote from the Bible, Sing a New Song. Beneath the crest hangs his OBE.

http://www.artsmart.co.za/music/3972.html

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

05 January 2007 08:13

I guess I’ll throw my 2 cents into the ring, I have some issues with a knighthood being bestoed on rock ‘n rollers.  I’m a hopeless romantic, and I really think that a military order should be left for military personnel.  I realize that this has been going on for far longer than recent years but it seems to have escalated recently.  I’m certainly in no position to tell Her Majesty whom she can grant an honor to or what that honor should be, but I have a hard time recognizing these individuals as ‘knights of the realm’.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 January 2007 08:34

Knighthoods aren’t and haven’t for a long time—like ever since the Middle Ages—been limited to rewarding military service.  And of course Bono isn’t receiving his knighthood for being a rock and roller but for his very considerable and important humanitarian contributions.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

05 January 2007 10:18

then what was the reason for the other "knights of rock" Joe? were they all as outspoken and active in humanitarian endeavors as Bono? i rather doubt it.

i can understand the knighthood as an honor given to a ‘captain of industry’ sort of thing even if that industry is rock-n-roll. but, let’s be realistic Joe and call a spade a spade; there are countless thousands of people who do more for humanitarian endeavors than any of these people and they aren’t knighted at all while these celebs are knighted en masse. so, in truth they are being knighted for the role as musicians with the charitable work merely being an icing on the cake.

and to me, and we all know how republican i am and even though i am a republic kinda guy, this totally undermines what knighthood should really be about and therefore ruins it all.

what it has turned into is a nice little social-status award for the ‘celeb fame’ and that is as lame as a 30 year old mule frankly.

give me a grunt who helped a buddy out in a war situation or any man-jack-one-of-them who was permanently injured serving their queen and nation (Shakespeare’s Henry V is coming to mind now) in her armed forces for knighthood any day, or a man who saved a kid from a burning building, and their like over these celebs any day. to me those are the people truly deserving of such honors … not these celeb fame people … their honor is the fistful of millions of dollars they rake in because we love their music.

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

05 January 2007 10:30

That’s pretty much what I was trying to say, except that Denny said it much better (in my defense, I hadn’t had my coffee yet:D )

I certainly don’t want to cheapen the charitable humanitarian things most of these individuals have done, but like I said I really think this should be a military honor or given to those that have made a great sacrifice or show of bravery in defense/service to the Crown or the people of Great Britain.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

05 January 2007 10:42

i agree Andrew. isn’t there an award of merit of some kind in the UK? i thought i read there was one in either Fox-Davies or somewhere. if so why aren’t they given this award and leave the knighthoods for heroic sacrifice of some kind?

of course i’m not British and certainly not in a place to tell the queen what she should or should not do ... besides why would the queen listen to a simple Colorado Cowboy anyway? i wouldn’t even know how to dress in her presence to be respectful so ... but i still think it cheapens the knighthoods.

emrys

emrys
Joined  08-04-2006

05 January 2007 10:56

The order of merit excists but that one is very exalted read here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_merit

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

05 January 2007 11:38

Hmm, why don’t they just do what we do in Egypt? We have a Order for Culture, Order for Athletics, Order for Business, Commerece, yada yada yada.

And like Donnchadh and Vidal said, leave Knighthood for the Knights.