Another Arab person who uses arms!

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

05 January 2007 23:37

Hey everybody!

While searching for more info on Arab use of arms, I found these arms belonging to:

http://www.abdulhakeem.com/photos/family/flag/tweel_shield.jpg

according to the owner of the site, the arms of Abdul Hakeem Amer al Taweel of Libya. They are self assumed.

On his site http://www.abdulhakeem.com/fmly_flag.htm, although in Arabic, he has also designed a flag, as well as a Qilada (collar, though unfortunately the image is no longer working:()

This may be of interest to Hassan and Arman!

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

06 January 2007 08:02

Very nice, but how would that border be blazoned?  It doesn’t appear to have any particular number of mullets.

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

06 January 2007 14:59

Andrew,

Maybe "semy of mullets," or whatever type of stars they are.

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

06 January 2007 18:08

I’d consider it just a sparkly form of diapering.

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

06 January 2007 19:15

Are those 8 stars in the sinister pale a particular constellation?

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

06 January 2007 22:14

Trent wrote:

Are those 8 stars in the sinister pale a particular constellation?

I don’t think so. Unfortunately the Google translator doesn’t do a great job and so alot is "lost in translation" rolleyes , but from what I could understand he simply took the flag design and changed the field partition from per fess to per pale. See flag below:

http://www.abdulhakeem.com/photos/family/flag/tweel_flag.jpg

That being said, I think the stars in the field are simply a form of diapering as Darren said. I also wonder if the border is intended to be part of the arms or if it is also an artistic touch?

All in all, I think it’s a very nice design, although I would alter the tinctures or specify a light green and blue in the blazon to retain it’s contrast.

Take care,

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

06 January 2007 22:39

PBlanton wrote:

All in all, I think it’s a very nice design, although I would alter the tinctures or specify a light green and blue in the blazon to retain it’s contrast.

I’d change the charges to Argent.  Or, if the Sable decrescent and palm are the desired color, then change the field to per fess Argent and Or .... but that might be too "Papal".  LOL

—Guy

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

06 January 2007 23:49
MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

06 January 2007 23:51

According to his site, he said he chose the black color because his Turkish ancestors were from the "Kologhlia" family, and Kol meaning black in Turkish. He chose the palm to signify his surname "Taweel" or as he spells it, "Tweel" meaning "tall".

He also said that the blue is significant of the area of Libya where they originate (I’m guessing its a shore, he doesn’t explain too well). He also specifically said "Azraq samaoui" azraq=blue. sama=sky, so Azraq samaoui is basically like sky blue. He further explains that the green is representative of his family’s Islamic religion, as well as a nod towards the Libyan (monochrome) green flag.

Hope that helps any!

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

07 January 2007 00:07
Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

08 January 2007 15:54

Given the "sky blue" derivation of the Azure in this case, perhaps "bleu celeste" would be a better way to blazon it—it would certainly lessen the "color rule" concerns.

The crescent can certainly be fimbriated, which would also help with the color contrast.  I’m a bit uncertain re: fimriating something as complox as a palm tree, but can’t say that its actually improper.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

11 January 2007 13:28

Trent wrote:

Andrew,

Maybe "semy of mullets," or whatever type of stars they are.

Perhaps, but though this is not "against the rules," the conventional method of showing bordures semy of anything (as opposed to the field or any other charge) is to show the bordure as if it were charged with a very large number of whatever it’s semy of.  The idea is that you give up, and don’t count after a certain point.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

11 January 2007 14:26

Just a guess .... but is he from South Carolina???  :D

—Guy