Sout African Heraldic Authority

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

27 January 2007 07:17

Can anyone who has had their arms registered with this heraldic authority speak to the process that they went thru and possibly the costs associated?  Any website link that I’ve come across for them is a dead link and before I’d make an official enquiry by letter with them I’d like to have a little background information.  Once you register with them, what all is included?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

27 January 2007 07:23

The link given in our page on foreign armorial registrations works fine.  See http://www.heraldrysociety.us/ForeignRegistration/index.php?page=register4&#saf.  The Bureau’s page has a contact link, which gives you an automatic email connection.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

01 February 2007 16:29

The CoA of The S.A. Bureau of Heraldry:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4098/skanna0003eg6.jpg

The field shows the Lion from the Crest of the former S.A. national CoA ( a rather more heraldic than the new pictogram), three shields symbolising heraldry. The crest is a Protea the national flower of RSA.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

01 February 2007 19:35

I am curious if the Bureau of Heraldry still seals the registration certificates with these arms or if they have devised a more multi-cultural seal for this purpose? By the way what are the exact official names for the Bureau of Heraldry, the State Herald and Assistant State Herald, some or all of which have been changed by Mr. Brownell’s successor?

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

01 February 2007 19:44

I know for one Mr. Hassan Kelisli had his arms registered there (see an emblazonement by them in his member’s arms page). I would defenitely suggest PM’ing him.

Regards,

davidappleton

davidappleton
Total Posts:  194
Joined  30-04-2004

02 February 2007 09:59

David Pritchard wrote:

I am curious if the Bureau of Heraldry still seals the registration certificates with these arms or if they have devised a more multi-cultural seal for this purpose?

If my memory serves me correctly (and at my age, it’s always possible that it _doesn’t_), the Bureau has always used the national arms on its certificates, and not the arms of the Bureau.

David

Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn
Total Posts:  229
Joined  15-06-2005

02 February 2007 12:49

David Pritchard wrote:

I am curious if the Bureau of Heraldry still seals the registration certificates with these arms or if they have devised a more multi-cultural seal for this purpose? By the way what are the exact official names for the Bureau of Heraldry, the State Herald and Assistant State Herald, some or all of which have been changed by Mr. Brownell’s successor?

A photo of a certificate issued in November 2005 - the most recent that I’ve seen - shows the Bureau arms on the seal at the bottom, between the two signatures.

The national arms (2000 version) are at the top of the certificate.  Early certificates, issued in the 1960s, had the national arms, the Bureau arms, and the State Archives arms at the top, perhaps in imitation of the College of Arms’ Letters Patent, which have the royal, Earl Marshal’s, and College arms at the top.

As for the State Herald’s title, there seems to be some confusion.  The Heraldry Act established the office under the title "State Herald", and as this section of the Act hasn’t been amended, this must still legally be the official title, and it’s also the title used in the Government Notices (the most recent being three weeks ago).

However, for the past 3-4 years, the registration certificates have evidently carried the title "National Herald".  And I’ve seen Mr Mabaso referred to as the "Director of the Bureau of Heraldry", which would seem to be a description rather than a title (he ranks as a director, which is a civil service grade equivalent to brigadier-general).

I believe registration costs went up quite steeply a while ago, but I don’t have a copy of the current tariff.  Still, exchange rates are in your favour right now.

Brian

Brian
Total Posts:  145
Joined  07-12-2004

02 February 2007 13:04

Andrew J Vidal wrote:

Can anyone who has had their arms registered with this heraldic authority speak to the process that they went thru and possibly the costs associated?  Any website link that I’ve come across for them is a dead link and before I’d make an official enquiry by letter with them I’d like to have a little background information.  Once you register with them, what all is included?

The Price I paid in 2002 was about $200 US.  Recently they raised the price and I think it’s around $800 US.  Overall the experience was great, mine took about a year to get.  I would think with the price increase the requests for registration may have dropped, but that’s speculation on my part.  Email them and ask the questions, they are very helpful people.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

02 February 2007 15:19

Brian wrote:

The Price I paid in 2002 was about $200 US.

Brian, you ought to include a copy of your South African emblazon on your Member’s Arms page.

—Guy

Brian

Brian
Joined  07-12-2004

02 February 2007 15:59

Guy Power wrote:

Brian, you ought to include a copy of your South African emblazon on your Member’s Arms page.

—Guy

Here is a scan of the arms from my SA certificate.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

02 February 2007 17:03

Below is a link to a full scan of my badge registration certificate from the Bureau of Heraldry issued in 2001, still using the old national arms and the title of State Herald.

http://img467.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rsabadgeregistrationnq4.gif

Could someone please post a full scan of a more recently issued certificate showing the new national arms and the title variations?

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

02 February 2007 17:44

Brian wrote:

Here is a scan of the arms from my SA certificate.

Masterfully executed!  Who was the artist?

—Guy

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

02 February 2007 18:17

Guy Power wrote:

I too would like to know the artist. It has been a standard practice of the Bureau of Heraldry to face the helm affronty or totally to the dexter in their renderings. This is the first South African registration that I have seen with the helm partially to the dexter. Could it be that a new heraldic artist has joined their staff?

davidappleton

davidappleton
Total Posts:  194
Joined  30-04-2004

02 February 2007 20:46

Arthur Radburn wrote:

As for the State Herald’s title, there seems to be some confusion.  The Heraldry Act established the office under the title "State Herald", and as this section of the Act hasn’t been amended, this must still legally be the official title, and it’s also the title used in the Government Notices (the most recent being three weeks ago).

However, for the past 3-4 years, the registration certificates have evidently carried the title "National Herald".  And I’ve seen Mr Mabaso referred to as the "Director of the Bureau of Heraldry", which would seem to be a description rather than a title (he ranks as a director, which is a civil service grade equivalent to brigadier-general).

According to their business cards, at least as of last August, Mr. Mabaso is "Director, Bureau of Heraldry", and Mr. van Rossum is "Deputy Director, Bureau of Heraldry".

David

Brian

Brian
Joined  07-12-2004

05 February 2007 11:54

Guy Power wrote:

—Guy

I think I can read BERGSTROM on the certificate.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

05 February 2007 15:35

David Pritchard wrote:

Below is a link to a full scan of my badge registration certificate from the Bureau of Heraldry issued in 2001, still using the old national arms and the title of State Herald.

http://img467.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rsabadgeregistrationnq4.gif

Could someone please post a full scan of a more recently issued certificate showing the new national arms and the title variations?

The treatment of the roots (both artistically and in terms of the blazon) is truly elegant and beautiful.