interesting what would usually be motto scroll

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

13 February 2007 15:29

The motto scroll serves an unusual function, bearing an artistic design rather than words, here.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

13 February 2007 15:40

That’s very interesting and lovely as well!

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

14 February 2007 00:45

Patrick Williams wrote:

That’s very interesting and lovely as well!

I agree.  Very nice.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

14 February 2007 11:48

Could this be viewed as a compartment?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

14 February 2007 12:15

The ribbon is a piece of folk embroidery common to Belarus, Poland and the Baltic states. This folk embroidery appeared in the hoist of the flag of the Belorussian SSR and in the present day flag. I do not think that an embroidered ribbon is substantial enough to qualify as an heraldic compartment.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

14 February 2007 12:24

I really love polar bears (in real life as well as heraldry) so I really like these arms. The heraldry of the Russian Federation’s sub-units are very interesting.

Polar bears are to me, the "lion" of the North!

Cheers,

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

14 February 2007 12:40

David Pritchard wrote:

I do not think that an embroidered ribbon is substantial enough to qualify as an heraldic compartment.

It’s no worse than a "gas-bracket".

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Joined  16-03-2005

14 February 2007 14:19

Madalch wrote:

It’s no worse than a "gas-bracket".

But the "gas bracket" is a detail done by the artist—you can count on far fewer than the fingers of one hand when something of the like is the official compartment, so it may be that we’re comparing apples and oranges, as it would seem more probable that this is more official than the generic "gas bracket."

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

14 February 2007 14:30

Daniel C. Boyer wrote:

But the "gas bracket" is a detail done by the artist—you can count on far fewer than the fingers of one hand when something of the like is the official compartment, so it may be that we’re comparing apples and oranges, as it would seem more probable that this is more official than the generic "gas bracket."

The compartment was also usually up to the artist, until quite recently at least.

To quote Fox-Davies, "The style of the compartment is practically always a matter of artistic taste and design.  With a few exceptions it is always entirely disregarded in the blazon of the patent…" (Art of Heraldry, Chapter XXXI, p. 324)

Modern Canadian grants always include the blazon of the compartment; I’m not sure about modern Scottish or English ones.  I do know that the College of Arms grant to Stoney Creek, Ontario did not blazon the compartment (despite it being a perfect cant)- this would have been in the 1960s or 1970s.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Joined  16-03-2005

14 February 2007 14:32

Madalch wrote:

The compartment was also usually up to the artist, until quite recently at least.

I’m aware of this, but is it correct to say that usually the artist would just have a grassy mount rather than the more elaborate designs of today?  (The compartments of clan chiefs are the exception here.)

Quote:

Modern Canadian grants always include the blazon of the compartment

And it’s interesting to see the creativity and high degree of elaboration in these.