Video Game-Vanguard Saga of Heroes

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

25 February 2007 03:22

So I play a video game which is a MMO, which stands for massively multiplayer online (RPG-Role playing game). It is fantasy based with a midieval setting. Obviously this lends itself well to heraldry. Well since I am an officer (near leader) of thieguild I play in (group of like-minded people), I have taken it upon myself to be the "Cheif Herald" and award people within the guild who get special acheivments or normal acheivments a coat of arms for their accomplishments.

To be honest I don’t know how people on this board feel about this. I don’t know if they feel I am marginilizing Heraldry or contribting to its understanding and increasing a minimal interest,( I really hope it’s the latter cause that’s how I feel), in it but I think it fits the game, and is a lot of fun for me. So anyways I am if nothing else trying to bring good heraldry to my guild and present my guildmates with CoA’s that are correct and kinda honorable. I hope in turn they lead to a basic understanding and possibly an interest in the subject.

The first one I presented looks like: http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jurancoa2tx0.png

I would like it if someone would check my blazon: Pean, a Bezant Or charged with a "stan-st" Sable within the chief of an Ankh Or

So the character being honored is a Dwarf Cleric. The ankh is supposed to be a semi-generic religous symbol, which is meant to represent a cleric without specifically covering any of the world’s major religions, even though I am sure the Ankh can be claimed by someone (lik ancient egypt for example). The "stan-st" is an Anglo-Saxon Futhorc symbol that means "stone." Since Tolien Dwarves originated from Scandinavian mythology, (which used the elder ruines as an alphabet) I tried to come up with an Elder futhark symbol that could represent a Dwarf (which were miners and their typical weapon was an axe…neither of which were condusive to any elder futhark symbols) . so since I couldn’t come up with anything from the older Futhark I used the "stan-st" from the Angelo-Saxon Futhark as a good symbol of a Dwarf.

Don’t know if all this info was necessary, but I want to make sure even though I am having fun coming up with video game toon’s coats of arms, I am staying as true to Heraldry as I can without marginilizing or diminishing it at all. In fact I am trying to come up with a fun modern use of heraldry…

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

25 February 2007 08:01

Hi, Colin.

That’s an interesting use of arms. Believe me, you are not the only person who does ‘fantasy arms’, the SCA being the biggest example of another group that uses them. I see nothing wrong with that, in fact I, too, believe that it helps keep an interest in heraldry alive.

I suppose your blazon is adequate. The Coptic Cross, or Ankh, however, is a little inappropriate if you’re using it for some religious connotation, even if it is a fantasy one. It is an ancient Egyptian symbol, yes, but is also a symbol of the Coptic Christians. It’s not a big deal, but you asked for opinions and that’s mine. You certainly would not be the first to use that symbol outside of those particular meanings.

Also, be careful of names, symbols and associations drawn from Tolkien. His estate has license on everything that came from those books, including the dwarvish and elvish scripts he developed. I have read that there was quite a legal battle about just this that almost tanked the recent production of the Lord of the Rings movies until they allowed the Tolkien estate to co-produce the movies. And I’m told that the estate is actively protecting its licenses and trademarks.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

25 February 2007 11:55

Thanks Patrick for the opinions.

I think I will continue using the ankh. I did realize that there was a sect of christians that used it, however, I think overall it would be more likely to be seen as a symbol of ancient egypt rather than a symbol of christianity. Like I said it’s kind of difficult to find a generic religous symbol.

Thanks for the tip regarding Tolkien. I am pretty sure I am okay, because the symbol I used is actually from the ancient scandanavian alphabet. Tolkien was heavily influenced by Norweigan mythology and pulled much of his lore (dwarves, elves etc) from there. the Futhark, which is where I pulled the symbol from, is from this, not Tolkien.

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

25 February 2007 13:01

What the general opinion about the SCA’s heraldry and its promotion of heraldry?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

25 February 2007 15:14

*edited by member*

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

25 February 2007 16:06

Trent wrote:

What the general opinion about the SCA’s heraldry and its promotion of heraldry?

I tried to stir that pot on the old forum… the general mood might be described as indifferent.  Their arms are generally a lot simpler than "mundane", as they call it, heraldry… and the artwork is often rather shoddy for what ever reason… If you’re interested here’s the An Tir Roll of Arms (western Canada), the Lochac Roll of Arms (Australia and New Zealand) and the Territorial Arms of the Knowne World (regional organizations).

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

25 February 2007 17:45

Everett,

I just asked because their website about how to blazon is so detailed.  It is what helpled me understand the art, and a vexiology? website helped me understand the value of simplicity in designing arms.

I found the SCA website materials very helpful.  Are there any SCA heralds here?

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

25 February 2007 19:30

I love the ankh design, for the obvious reasons!

As to the ankh being used by Copts, they use almost all ancient Egyptian symbols as their own nowadays, especcially as jewlery. They also use a purely Coptic symbol which I have heard describe as a looped cross, consisting of four "loops" (as in the ‘handle’ of the ankh) in the shape of the cross, they also have a particulary common cross design (not sure if it is used in heraldry) consisting of four diamonds/lozenges, with some space between them, and a "vertix"/circle in the middle to "hold" it.

Regards,

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

25 February 2007 19:38

Trent wrote:

I found the SCA website materials very helpful.  Are there any SCA heralds here?

David Appleton, a regular on this forum, was the chief SCA herald.

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

25 February 2007 21:16

In my opinion, many of the shields are excellent designs with interesting heraldry.

Many easily could find their way into the records of the Lord Lyon and the College of Arms.

It is a pity that most of the users only consider heraldry to be part of the make believe world of the SCA.

Iain Boyd

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

26 February 2007 00:33

I think it’s a good idea.  At least better than Diablo, where a "heraldic shield" looks like this:

http://www.battle.net/images/battle/diablo2exp/images/items/classspecific/heraldicshield.gif

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

26 February 2007 12:15

So my next design is one for a carpenter… anyone know any traditional carpenter tools that are used in arms? I know a hammer and nails are a good idea, but I was wondering if there was anything a little more traditional. An axe maybe?

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

26 February 2007 12:21

Hmm, is it "allowed" in heraldry for a certain background or pattern to be used, like ermine, like for example for your carpenter idea, how about:

Mahogany, two hammers fess wise or.

And the background would be mahogany "pattern" like this:

http://www.fincaleola.com/images/mahogany.jpg

So it would be metals, colors, furs, and woods, eh?

Cheers,

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

26 February 2007 12:49

hmm not sure about that mohamed, but you gave me an idea. I could always use a type of leaf as the designing principle…

Thanks

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

26 February 2007 12:55

*edited by member*

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

26 February 2007 12:59

Do you mean carpenter’s square as in the lower tool shown on the symbol of the freemasons:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/2/21/200px-Square_compasses.svg.png???

Regards,