Joined  13-07-2005

26 February 2007 13:05

*edited by member*

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

26 February 2007 13:09

Is there a certain way to describe it’s position in heraldry? Like say instead of having it point down as in the Freemasonry symbol, to have it "right side up", i.e as in a 90 degree angle???

I think a good design for a carpentry coat of arms would be: Per bend sinister or and vert, two carpenter’s squares (90 degree position) in (the opposite corner. Chief and base??) countercharged. Or perhaps, just one in the top.

Or perhaps making the partition line "dancetty", (that is "zigzag", correct?) to symbolize a saw, for enhanced carpentry symbolism!

Cheers,

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

26 February 2007 14:16

MohamedHossam wrote:

Hmm, is it "allowed" in heraldry for a certain background or pattern to be used, like ermine, like for example for your carpenter idea, how about:

Mahogany, two hammers fess wise or.

And the background would be mahogany "pattern" like this:

So it would be metals, colors, furs, and woods, eh?

Cheers,

I don’t know about wood grains but there is president for the addition of new types of fields.  The South African Bureau of Heraldry often approves the use of a cow hide pattern blazoned "Pied at random" in black and white, or brown or white… I found one example here ([red]click to enlarge[/red])

http://www.geocities.com/heraldrysa/pix/l-nquth.gif

More info HERE.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

26 February 2007 14:28

I think I was going to go more along the lines:

Gulles, on a chevron inbetween 2 oak leaves argent and an axe and staff in saltire proper, a stan-st azure inbetween 2 hurt.

Chevron argent-Carpenters tool

2 leaves       -More carpentry reference

stan-st       -Dwarf character

staff           -sorcerer as well

axe           -dwarf and woodcutting

hurts           -character’s last name is "ThornBerry"so i think 2 hurt berries is good

I wanted to find a way to make the hurts on something engrailed to kind of represent thornberries, but the only thing I can think of is an engrailed chief, which I think would start to become too busy.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

26 February 2007 14:58

*edited by member*

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

26 February 2007 15:48

MohamedHossam wrote:

Do you mean carpenter’s square as in the lower tool shown on the symbol of the freemasons:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/2/21/200px-Square_compasses.svg.png???

Regards,

Well, yes, except this is a stone mason’s square. A carpenter’s square has one ‘arm’ shorter than the other.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

02 March 2007 02:23

Here’s what I made for that guy…

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/416/vgcoabramblecopygt5.png

Blazon: Gulles, on a chevron between 2 hazel leaves argent and 2 staffs proper jeweled azure, a "stan-st" between two hurts.

The Leaves are for his carpentry/woodwork. the 2 hurts for his last name (thornberry), the stan-st because he is a dwarf and the 2 staff’s because he’s a woodworker and sorcerer. I plan on getting them crests later (both him and the original guy), and the chevron is symbolic of a carpentry square.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

13 March 2007 14:49

Here’s the one for the entire guild crest and all

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5815/shadowfire4ls5.png

Please check the blazon for me:

Arms: Sable, A phoenix displayed Or, on a chief dovetailed Gulles fimbriated Or three bezants

Crest: Rising from flames Gulles between two wings displayed a longsword Or hilted Gulles point to base

also i wanted people to check the dimensions on it.. i think the helm and crest might be a touch small… I wanted to see what everyone else thought about that too

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

13 March 2007 14:58

Another one for a guy in the guild:

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/8028/shadowfirekaladrcoaba3.png

Blazon: Sable a Raki’s face Argent eyed Gulles, On a cheif Argent a dagger Gulles hilted Sable point to dexter.

Raki = Fox race in the game. (in particular i don’t know if the red eyes are kosher, and if they are did I blazon that correctly?)

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

13 March 2007 16:12

Linusboarder wrote:

Arms: Sable, A phoenix displayed Or, on a chief dovetailed Gulles fimbriated Or three bezants in fess

I don’t think you need the "in fess" bit… unless I am mistaken, which has been known to happen, when there are several charges on a fess they are assumed to be in fess.

Also, the chief looks a bit small, which is fine, but you might consider the implications of a blazon that includes language like "... on a chief inhanced dovetailed…".  Although I’m not sure where artistic liscence stops and specificity in charges starts.

You might also add a line about the longsword in the crest being "point to base"

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

15 March 2007 19:00

ESmith wrote:

I don’t think you need the "in fess" bit… unless I am mistaken, which has been known to happen, when there are several charges on a fess they are assumed to be in fess.

Also, the chief looks a bit small, which is fine, but you might consider the implications of a blazon that includes language like "... on a chief inhanced dovetailed…".  Although I’m not sure where artistic liscence stops and specificity in charges starts.

You might also add a line about the longsword in the crest being "point to base"

Thanks Everett

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

01 April 2007 12:24

Ok For this i am designing one for a tailor.. I was going to use the needle and thread for a tailor, but I was wondering if there was any other kind of symbol that has been used to signify one?

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

26 July 2007 20:49

As most of you know, as I continued playing this video game, i kept designing arms for the characters in game. Well i put together a guild armorial and i guess i’ll go ahead and share with you guys. Some of them are good, and some I would do differently if i could redesign, but overall this is a fun little side project that adds to my enjoyment of both heraldry and the game, so well worth my time.

I have also altered different charges for different characteristics of some characters, such as the snake wrapped around the Scythe for "Gambrus" or the Blacksmith hammer through the winged bezant for "Holodin", so in addition to the heraldry and video games, it’s also helping me refine my photoshop skills as well.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/295/shadowfirearmorial72507ix1.png

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

26 July 2007 22:06

Colin,

Great designs! :D

The only designs I don’t care for too much are Duroth and Tulani simply because you cannot see the spears that well. If the tinctures were different I’d like them much better.  That’s my only complaint about any of them.

Take care,