Putting supporters into my CoA

irishkid8

irishkid8
Total Posts:  67
Joined  18-08-2005

04 March 2007 15:52

I was thinking that just for asthetic purposes, I would like to add supporters to my arms. (I’ve made my decision, yes I want to use them. I know some of you don’t agree, but…) Can I get someone to do a full rendering of the achievement for me? I don’t have the means to do so…

Here’s the blazon:

Arms: Gules in chief a Celtic High Cross Or in base a phoenix Argent arising from flames Or between a pair of flaunches Sable each charged with a sword palewise Argent.

Crest: Issuant from a torse Or and Gules a demi-Raven Sable grasping in its beak a sword bendwise point to base Argent.

Motto: Christus Vincit.

I haven’t decided what two animals I want in to support it yet. Any suggestions?!

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

04 March 2007 16:20

Tom (if I may),

There are quite a few artists here that would be willing to assist you in your rendering.  May I suggest contacting Donchadh or Loren Chapulin?  Depending on what type of rendering you’re looking for will determine what artist you will commission (by this I mean hand drawn and painted or a digital rendering).  There are other artists here that will be happy to assist as well, I would search thur the Heraldic Arts threads to see what each artist here is capable of and then contact the ones that speak to you privately to hammer out the detail.

May I also suggest that you become a member?  You’ll find additional resources in the ‘Members Area’ as well.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

04 March 2007 16:21

The first thing that I noticed about your arms was that the cross (the instrument of execution) was above the phoenix rising (the symbol of resurrection) should the phoenix not be placed over the cross, thus indicating death followed by resurrection rather than resurrection and death?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

04 March 2007 16:59

Tom, are you out of high school yet? I was just wondering what Colorado college/university you were going to because while I can’t recall what you might want to do with your life I do recall an interest in art. So, if you do have an interest in art I would be happy to recommend some schools in the Colorado area.

Anyway, supporters are a difficult issue here in the States. I hope you are prepared to take some heat by posting this…as you may recall from a year or so ago when we were all helping you with your questions on designing the arms, that can get heated. Try to stay focused and patient.

I hope everyone remembers Tom is a kid, well not a kid really, but a teenager, in high school, or at least he was, and take it easy so to speak when you confront him about either his design of arms or the supporters issue. For the record, and for those who don’t know, Tom already designed his arms with the advice of countless people here some time ago. He was open to most everything everyone threw at him. So, the final product is the brainchild of everyone’s opinions here reflecting Tom’s desires. It makes no sense to question it now that he has that part of it finalized and is looking for ideas on supporters and not the arms. The nuns in parochial school are coming to mind now, “focus, focus, focus Mr. MacGoff!!...” good idea though. wink

As to who would render your arms, there are a lot of great artists here Tom. I am. So is Chap. So is Louis. So is Brian. So is Nenad. So is Alex. So is Ton. Etc. I agree with Andrew and see the heraldic art section and view everyone’s work (though Ton’s isn’t there I think…I can give you a pic of his work if you’d like) and then contacting everyone and see what they will or will not do and for how much and what sort of services they offer in general. I have communicated with each of these people from one degree to another and they are all good guys and I don’t think any of them will steer you wrong. I have trusted a few of them to do my own arms and as an artist myself I am rather picky about who I would ask to do my arms. I would ask all of them, but I only have so much money so my commissions are staggered over a little time.

Feel free to PM me Tom and I will talk with you. I am in Colorado as well, so I would have no problem giving you my phone number in a PM so we can talk on the phone about what you are looking for in your arms and what you are able to pay and so on. Just PM me when you are ready, but also look at the other artists work to see what you like.

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

04 March 2007 18:56

How about we all agree that Tom will use his supporters in a private display of his arms rather than beating that poor dead horse all over again?

I think it’s a great thing to have another young person interested in heraldry and already taking steps to secure his arms, I also think it would be a great idea to become a full fledged member!

Perhaps we could all help in providing ideas as to what type of animals would be good supporters for Tom, maybe an animal(s) you’ve owned of perhaps animals prominent in your ancestry?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

04 March 2007 20:39

Andrew J Vidal wrote:

Perhaps we could all help in providing ideas as to what type of animals would be good supporters for Tom, maybe an animal(s) you’ve owned

This could work very well with some pet animals but with others the results could be quite amusing such as a pair of hamsters rampant guardant, rabbits saliant and parakeets passant the wings raised and addorsed (which would work very well if you were from Belize).

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

04 March 2007 21:49

How about the huge and majestic Irish Elk? (I believe that is what it’s called, extinct, though, methinks)...

It would commemorate your Irish heritage as well as symbolize….? (Hope you like animals!)

Cheers,

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

04 March 2007 22:43

*edited by member*

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

04 March 2007 23:03

*edited by member*

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

05 March 2007 00:32

I like the Irish Elk that Dennis has recommended as it is a very traditional sort of heraldic supporter.

The question really ought to be now is how much does having Irish ancestry impact you present day life and since you already have included a Celtic Cross into your arms, presumably to represent this ancestry, do you need a second Irish reference?

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

05 March 2007 01:26

ACtually, I am the one who recommended it…..

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

05 March 2007 02:23

Yes, you were the first one to recommend them. But Dennis posted such wonderful pictures of the Irish Elk that your post was over shadowed. Is there a lesson here? Posting colourful pictures is the path to heraldic forum success! wink

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

05 March 2007 11:59

LOL!

I’ll keep that in mind David, thanks for the heads up! :cool:

I think that for supporters you could use either two Irish Elks, or perhaps an Irish elk (for Ireland) and for America, how about a bald eagle griffin? i.e, a regular griffin, except in the colors/shadings/feathering (that word?) of a bald eagle???

Cheers,

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

05 March 2007 12:07

*edited by member*

Hall/Perdue

Hall/Perdue
Total Posts:  179
Joined  16-12-2006

07 March 2007 20:53

Quote:

How about we all agree that Tom will use his supporters in a private display of his arms rather than beating that poor dead horse all over again?

Dead horse?  That wouldn’t make a very attractive supporter:confused:

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

08 March 2007 01:12

*edited by member*