enjoyed new 130th Engineer Battalion design

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

07 April 2007 11:19

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil//Graphics/130EngineerBnCOA.jpg

I very much enjoyed this dynamic design, which strongly says "Puerto Rico" (actually "San Juan," but that’s another story).

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

07 April 2007 13:45

It says San Juan because all National Guard units from the same state (or, in this case, commonwealth) have the same crest.  In the case of Puerto Rico, it is the lamb of St. John the Baptist lying on the closed book, as in the arms of the commonwealth itself.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

07 April 2007 16:33

Joseph McMillan;43311 wrote:

It says San Juan because all National Guard units from the same state (or, in this case, commonwealth) have the same crest.  In the case of Puerto Rico, it is the lamb of St. John the Baptist lying on the closed book, as in the arms of the commonwealth itself.

I also think Daniel means the Bastion which clearly reminds one of the fortifications in San Juan.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

09 April 2007 10:22

Joseph McMillan;43311 wrote:

Nope.  I’m aluding to the fact that the island is really called "San Juan" and the city "Puerto Rico" (the name should give one a hint of this) and then, for some inexplicable reason, they got confused and "switched".  I shouldn’t have been so obscure in my allusion.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

09 April 2007 11:39

Daniel C. Boyer;43434 wrote:

Nope.  I’m aluding to the fact that the island is really called "San Juan" and the city "Puerto Rico" (the name should give one a hint of this) and then, for some inexplicable reason, they got confused and "switched".  I shouldn’t have been so obscure in my allusion.

I seem to recall that the confusion was caused by a map maker whose work was copied and eventually became accepted by all.