The lowly pomegranate

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

26 April 2007 00:25

In his book, The Art of Heraldry, Peter Gwynn-Jones states:  "Fruits are largely confined to punning use, with a few exceptions.  One such is the pomegranate, where its numerous seeds made allusion to the seeds of learning."

Every other source I have investigated so far (nothing exhaustive, mind you) speaks of the pomegranate as representing sanctity, fertility, and marriage.  Mention is made concerning the Jewish tradition that a pomegranate contains 613 seeds, representing the 613 mitvot…but that concerns God’s Law, not wisdom per se.  My wife is an elementary school teacher (with a Masters in Special Education).  I was thinking about using the pomegranate as a charge for her shield, but now I am not sure.  I don’t want the "tired old song" of an open book and torch.  Have also considered the hazlenut.

Anyone give me clarfication on the pomegranate or, perhaps, another charge to consider?

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

26 April 2007 00:32

An Owl…the symbol of Athena?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

26 April 2007 00:33

I think that Gwynn-Jones was working from his limited English perspective. In Portugal, Spain, Armenia, Arab countries, Turkic countires, et alli the fruit is highly esteemed symbolically.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

26 April 2007 00:34

Jonathan R. Baker;44005 wrote:

An Owl…the symbol of Athena?

A very tired heraldic symbol for academics.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

26 April 2007 00:36

Could you suggest something more "unique" for a teacher?  As I said, I have also considered the hazlenut, but I’m not sure how much it has been used.  (I believe the hazlenut tree has also been overused.)

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

26 April 2007 00:37

WBHenry;44008 wrote:

Could you suggest something more "unique" for a teacher?  As I said, I have also considered the hazlenut, but I’m not sure how much it has been used.  (I believe the hazlenut tree has also been overused.)

http://www.presentationresources.net/images/teachers_bell.jpg

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

26 April 2007 02:40

That’s a good one Mike.

Why not an apple?

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

26 April 2007 05:53

Dear William,

When working at The College of Arms some years ago, I handled the grant for the University of the West of England, Bristol (UWE).  As the university was a new foundation formed from the old Bristol Polytechnic and other local institutions of learning, I, therefore, in consultation with the university devised the armorial bearings that were eventually granted to the UWE.  I am afraid that they do not make much use of them upon their website - using instead - a logo.  I believe they use the arms on official documentation, ie: degree certificates and the like.  Hopefully they are also used buildings and elsewhere within the various sites of the university.  The point of this long preamble is that I devised a new scheme for the heraldic fountain (generally, a roundel barry wavy argent and azure) to be ‘barry wavy or and murrey’ to denote a fount of knowledge and learning which is after all the raison d’etre of any university or place of learning.  Or (gold) to represent the richness of the process of learning and murrey (being an heraldic stain of a mulberry-red hue) to denote education.  This ‘fount of education’ was displayed upon the shoulders of the University’s supporters, as well as if I recall correctly as an element found within the University’s badge.  From a British perspective, murrey as been used on occasion in the arms of educational establishments, as well as having been employed in the arms granted to teachers, lecturers and other educational professionals.  I recall that I used this particular ‘fountain’ on another occasion within the design of the arms of a gentleman who had interest in education.

If you wish to view the armorial bearings of the University of the West of England, Bristol go to: www.uwe.ac.uk/aboutUWE/coatOfArms.shtml

Trusting that the above is of interest, assistance and use?

Yours aye,

John

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

26 April 2007 07:48

Unfortunately, the murrey stain is depicted as sable in the illustration. I am glad to learn that murrey is being used in modern grants. I had thought that its use in new grants of arms had ended during the Tudor period. The arms of Isabelle Mylbury in particular come to mind.

liongam

liongam
Joined  19-02-2006

26 April 2007 08:11

Dear David,

The use of murrey only appears in the fountains as depicted upon the shoulders of the supporters and not upon the shield itself.  The dexter half of the shield is supposed to be sable.  For those who are interested, it should also be remarked that the mantling is ‘party gules and sable doubled argent’.

Regards.

John

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

26 April 2007 08:36

What about the shepherd’s crook?  It might be a bit too much like a crosier but if you depicted it a little more plainly, like the tool rather than the badge of office it might symbolize something like "leading the minds of youth"... or something.

If you wanted to play up the shepherd theme perhaps a herding dog of some type, which could also evoke themes of hard work, fidelity, courage, etc. etc.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

26 April 2007 18:22

liongam;44025 wrote:

Dear David,

The use of murrey only appears in the fountains as depicted upon the shoulders of the supporters and not upon the shield itself.  The dexter half of the shield is supposed to be sable.  For those who are interested, it should also be remarked that the mantling is ‘party gules and sable doubled argent’.

Regards.

John

Dear John,

I realise this but on my screen the fountains on the supporters appear as dark gold and black. Maybe I need to adjust my screen settings if they appear gold and murrey on your screen. Please let me know.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

27 April 2007 02:45

Well, let’s see if my blazoning skills have improved:

Shield:  Argent, between three pomegranates slipped leaved and seeded proper, upon a chevron Gules a bee proper.

Crest:  On a wreath of the colors a demi-angel proper vested Argent winged Or holding in the dexter hand a pomegranate (feminine in form).

Remember:  Spelling doesn’t count (unless its pall vs pale or some such non-sense).  So, what would this look like?  What I wanted to design or Ish Kabibbles appendix?

liongam

liongam
Joined  19-02-2006

27 April 2007 03:14

Hello David,

As you say you may well need to adjust your settings.  The fountains as shown upon my screen are distinctly Or and Murrey. By the way, compartment upon which the supporters are depicted is representative of the Avon Gorge, a notable local landmark in Bristol (and the West Country) through which flows the River Avon.

Regards.

John

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

27 April 2007 03:16
liongam

liongam
Joined  19-02-2006

27 April 2007 05:42

Hello William,

The blazon for your wife’s proposed arms might scan better as follows:

Arms: Argent on a Chevron Gules between three Pomegranates slipped leaved and seeded a Bee volent all proper

or

Argent on a Chevron Gules between three Pomegranates slipped leaved and seeded proper a Bee volent also proper

With regard to the crest.  I think that you need not specify the gender of the angel as I believe that in vast majority of cases in heraldry you will find the default setting is ‘female’ unless for some reason a ‘male’ angel is required.  At present I bring no examples to mind.

Regards.

John