The lowly pomegranate

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

27 April 2007 06:30

I believe Dennys, in the Heraldic Imagination, says the opposite, that angels are always male.  But it is certainly true that, other than the archangels Michael and Gabriel, they consistently seem to be portrayed as rather effeminate.

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

27 April 2007 07:23

Hello Joseph,

Although I don’t have a copy of Rodney Dennys’ Heraldic Imagination on my bookshelves (I always thought I had copy, but it appears not!), when I made my recent statement regarding the gender of angels I was going by my reading of Julian Franklin’s ‘Shield and Crest’ which states on page 135 that ‘heraldic angels are female angels’.  Boutell’s is rather brief upon the subject of angels and casts no light upon their gender.  Neither does Friar or his other volume with John Ferguson.

As you say, angels in heraldry have tendency to look ambiguous and indeterminate on the gender front.

Regards.

John

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

27 April 2007 08:42

I have Dennys, but not at hand, and there was no time to retrieve it as I was writing earlier.  I’ll try to remember to see what he says tonight.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

27 April 2007 12:33

Hmmm ... gay angels, busy bees, pomegranites and Japanese priests. The diversity of our little group is astonishing. :rolleyes:

DRShorey

DRShorey
Total Posts:  528
Joined  11-12-2005

27 April 2007 14:21

Is it bad to want to thwap a fellow member of the Society on the head?! wink

Dave

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

27 April 2007 14:46

Dennys claims that angels are sexless on p. 110, citing two instances of naked angels as proof.

The idea that spiritual being would need sexual reproductive organs is an extremely odd one.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

27 April 2007 14:46

I’m not sure, David.  For a moment he had it sounding like I was designing a shield for an episode of "Desperate Housewives."

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

27 April 2007 14:48

Returning to the subject line, I’d see a pomegranate as a symbol of love and fidelity, based on its appearance in the myth of Persephone.  She ate six seeds, and was thus committed to be married six months out of the year.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

27 April 2007 14:52

Some tell the legend as four seeds (to account for winter when her mother mourned her absence), but I get your drift.

Actually, I have read in various places that for different groups the seeds can represent wisdom (seeds of knowledge), in Greece it is a symbol of marriage, and many cultures see it as a symbol of fertility / motherhood.  Since my wife is a teacher, has three children, and has to put up with me, I figured to go with the "triple threat" and use three as charges.  The bee is simply to denote her given name (Debra = from the Hebrew for "bee").

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

27 April 2007 14:55

As for an angel’s lack of reproductive organs, I was thinking of a demi-angel anyway.  Since its for my wife’s crest, I was…ah…simply concerned…ah…about keeping….ah….the "softer bits," as it were…ah…of a more feminine….uh…aspect.

Yeah, yeah, that’s what I meant.

Get with the program, group!  Explaining myself only leads to trouble! :oops:

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

27 April 2007 15:46

DRShorey;44115 wrote:

Is it bad to want to thwap a fellow member of the Society on the head?! wink

Dave

Yes, dave, it’s very bad. You, however, are probably neither the first nor last who wanted to do that. Though what poor Father Henry did to deserve it eludes me.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

27 April 2007 21:19

WBHenry;44093 wrote:

Shield:  Argent, between three pomegranates slipped leaved and seeded proper, upon a chevron Gules a bee proper.

Crest:  On a wreath of the colors a demi-angel proper vested Argent winged Or holding in the dexter hand a pomegranate (feminine in form).

I would blazon it as follows:

Argent, a chevron Gules charged with a bee volant, between three pomegranates seeded, slipped and leaved Proper.

On a wreath of the colours a demi-angel issuant Proper, winged Or, habited Argent, bearing in the dexter hand a pomegranate Proper.

The only thing that I might propose is to add two more bees volant and then the arrangement of charges would be in the style Sir Thomas Wriothesley, Garter King of Arms (1505-34).

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

27 April 2007 21:27

Patrick Williams;44112 wrote:

Hmmm ... gay angels, busy bees, pomegranites and Japanese priests. The diversity of our little group is astonishing. :rolleyes:

I suggest that you read the book Heavenly Genitalia, Dispelling the Myth of Gender Neutral Celestial Beings in their Depiction on late Medieval Flemish and Northern French Tapestries, Linens and Embroideries for more information.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

28 April 2007 11:22

David Pritchard;44007 wrote:

A very tired heraldic symbol for academics.

Read The Oxford Guide to Heraldry and you will get quite a different impression.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

28 April 2007 16:44

Daniel C. Boyer;44143 wrote:

Read The Oxford Guide to Heraldry and you will get quite a different impression.

I was aware that some Medieval writers attributed a different significance to the owl than Classical sources. Just the same, American institutions of learning as well teachers, instructors and professors use the owl (very liberally) as a symbol according to its ancient attributes. It is in this context that the symbolism of the owl has grown very tired.