Armorial of Haiti

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

11 May 2007 16:33

My copy of the new Armorial of Haiti published by the English College of Arms arrived in today’s mail…only a mere three years after I ordered it! It seems a handsome volume and regardless of its tardy arrival I’m looking forward to going through it thoroughly. Just a cursory glance shows evidence of one thing: Haitian heraldic design was extremely simple and clear.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

11 May 2007 19:58

gselvester;44759 wrote:

My copy of the new Armorial of Haiti published by the English College of Arms arrived in today’s mail…only a mere three years after I ordered it! It seems a handsome volume and regardless of its tardy arrival I’m looking forward to going through it thoroughly. Just a cursory glance shows evidence of one thing: Haitian heraldic design was extremely simple and clear.

Very glad to learn that this long awaited book has finally appeared in three dimensional form rather than as a concept! I wish that I had ordered the book when I first received the mailer long ago as the exchange rate has changed considerably to my detriment.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

11 May 2007 22:52

Ooooooohhhh!!!!!

You are so lucky!! I love the Haitian heraldry, and have only seen so far images of the Royal arms.

Would you be so kind enough as to scan some of the pages to show us?????

Regards,

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

12 May 2007 12:19

Will do. So far it makes for very interesting reading.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

07 August 2007 17:50

As promised here are some images from the Haitian Armorial:

1. The Arms of the King (Henri Christophe)

http://excoboard.com/forums/18883/user/133625/249876.jpg

2. The Arms of the Queen

http://excoboard.com/forums/18883/user/133625/249877.jpg

3. The Arms of the Capital (Cap-Henri, now known as Cap-Haïtien or simply "Le Cap")

http://excoboard.com/forums/18883/user/133625/249878.jpg

4. The Arms of the Baron Béliard

http://excoboard.com/forums/18883/user/133625/249880.jpg

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

07 August 2007 18:38

Fr. Guy,

Could you tell us who the actual heralds were in the Kingdom of Haiti? They had great creativity and innovation. Were the heralds and their heraldic artists native Haitians or were they foreigners recruited for this task by the king?

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

07 August 2007 19:23

There is little known about them but Henri Christophe did have a college of heralds of his own. There were 13 of them and a king of arms. They had duties involving ceremonial and protocol and were also involved in devising the heraldry of Haiti.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

07 August 2007 20:56

Wow, Amazing! I have the names of the heralds somewhere, will find and post soon.

Thanks for the pics, wonderful example of "exotic" heraldry. :D

Cheers,

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

07 August 2007 21:11

From "Heraldry and the Heralds", I forgot the name of the author:

Quote:

By another royal edict, undated but probably of May 12th, 1811, he appointed the Great Officers of State, including the Grand Almoner, Chancellor, governors of the palaces, chamberlains, secretaries, and so on. Among these he established a College of Arms, under the general heading of Hèrauts d’Armes, consisting of one King of Arms and thirteen heralds, who took their titles from the principal towns of the kingdom, These were:

Pierre Martin, King of Arms [of Haiti]

Germain, Cap Henry Herald

Baraquet, Sans Souci Herald

Jean Louis Narcisse, Fort Royal Herald

Simon Mancel, Port de Paix Herald

Louis Clement, Mole Herald

Jacques Thimotee, Gonaives Herald

Charles Chavanne, Saint Marc Herald

Leger, Port au Prince Herald,

Hilaire Boisdore, Leogane Herald,

Etienne Bastien, Jacmel Herald

Hyppolite Brangler, Dessalines Herald

Savary, Cayes Herald

Pierre Mouchet, Jeremie Herald…

Cheers,

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

07 August 2007 21:21

Here are the blazons of these arms, also from "Heraldry and the Heralds":

The King:

Quote:

Arms: Azure semee of estoiles or, a phoenix crowned with the Royal Crown issuant from flames all of the second, in base on a ribbon [?or] the words "Je renais de mes cendres".

There is no crest, but the shield is surmounted by the Royal Crown of eight arches and encircled by the Collar of the Order of St. Henry

Supporters: Two lions guardant ermine each crowned with the Royal Crown.

Motto: Dieu, ma cause et mon epee

The Queen:

Quote:

Arms: Azure semee of bees, but otherwise like those of the King, but without the Collar of the Order

Supporters: As those of the King

Motto: Dieu protege le Roi

The Capital City:

Quote:

Arms: Purpure, in base a warship with sails set upon the sea entering the port all proper.

There is no crest, and the shield is surmounted by a Royal Crown

Supporters: Two figures of "Hercules" sable clothed with lion-skins proper, and each holding in the exterior hand a club or.

Motto: Malgrè les vents et les flots

Baron De Bèliard [Director and Steward of the Gardens and Forests of the Royal Palaces]:

[His marriage on August 20th, 1819 was witnessed by the King]

Quote:

Arms: Sable, a watering-can and a garden rake argent [in saltire? my copy is cut off here]

Crest: Upon a barred helm, a hat sable trimmed or with [cut off here again] gules and two ostrich feathers argent

Supporters: Two chameleons vert

Motto: Utile en plus d’un genre

I have alot more blazons in English (all original French blazons are available online), I’ll post them if anyone is interested. (Fr. Guy, you do the pics, I’ll do the text wink)

Cheers,

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

07 August 2007 21:28

Here is a pic of the Order of St. Henry, seen encircling the arms:

http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Haiti/haiti-St Henry GC.jpg
Quote:

The Royal and Military Order of St. Henry: Grand Cross with Collar, breast star, collar and badge.

The Royal and Military Order of St. Henry (Ordre Royal et Militaire de Saint Henry): founded by King Henry I on 20th April 1811 to reward outstanding valour and exceptional military and civil merit. Awarded in a superior class (Grand Cross with Collar) and three ordinary classes (1. Grand Cross - limited to sixteen recipients, 2. Commander - thirty-two recipients, and 3. Knight - unlimited in number). Ribbon: plain black moiré sash for recipients of the Grand Cross, red moiré neck ribbon for Commanders, and a moiré chest ribbon in the national colours for knights. Obsolete 1820.

The order, and more information at: http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Haiti/haiti3.htm

The man behind it all:

http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Haiti/haiti-HenryChristophe.jpg
Quote:

1806 - 1820 Henry I, by the grace of God and the Constitutional Law of the state, King of Hayti, Sovereign of Tortuga, Gonaïves and other adjacent Islands, Destroyer of Tyranny, Regenerator and Benefactor of the Haitian Nation, Creator of her Moral, Political and Martial Institutions, First Crowned Monarch of the New World, Defender of the Faith, Founder of the Royal and Military Order of Saint-Henry

Cheers,

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

07 August 2007 23:00

MohamedHossam;48410 wrote:

(Fr. Guy, you do the pics, I’ll do the text wink)

Oh no! They’ve gotta go buy the book!

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

07 August 2007 23:03

This might just be me, but does anyone else think the collar of the Order of St. Henry looks rather similar to the collar of the Order of the Garter? What strikes me as similar are the knots and circular links. I wonder if it’s design was based on the Garter’s.

Image: Collar of the Order of the Garter

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

07 August 2007 23:12

Eh, I dunno, do to the nature of Haiti and the political climate at that time, I’d say more French-influenced than anything. It reminded me a bit of the Order of St. Louis… :D

Cheers,

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

08 August 2007 11:18

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
The flag of the Kingdom of Haïti under Henri Christophe, adopted in 1811.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/3708/ht1811pv0.gif
</div>

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

16 August 2007 04:12

While researching other things, I came upon some information regarding the first coat-of-arms (in a revolutionary from) of the Republic of Haiti. They were designed in 1806 by Alexandre Sabès Pétion (1770-1818), President of the Republic of Haiti from 1806-1818.  Haiti at this time was divided into two parts, the Kingdom of Haiti in the north ruled by King Henri I (Christophe) and the Republic of Haiti in the south.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2232/haiticoais2.jpg
</div>