Gearhart

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

10 October 2007 18:50

My cousin was married last year to a fellow by the name of Gearhart.  He has admired my Coat of Arms and has expressed an interest in assuming one of his own.  He has used an images since he was a kid of a gear surmounting a hart, a bit simple perhaps no worse than Roosevelt’s field of roses or Stephens, chicken on perbend indented.

Would a gear be blazoned as simply a gear, or perhaps a cog, or maybe something from watter/wind mills, maybe a roundel embattled? When we’ve made some more progress I’ll have to show some examples.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

10 October 2007 19:08

ESmith;50550 wrote:

My cousin was married last year to a fellow by the name of Gearhart.  He has admired my Coat of Arms and has expressed an interest in assuming one of his own.  He has used an images since he was a kid of a gear surmounting a hart, a bit simple perhaps no worse than Roosevelt’s field of roses or Stephens, chicken on perbend indented.

Would a gear be blazoned as simply a gear, or perhaps a cog, or maybe something from watter/wind mills, maybe a roundel embattled? When we’ve made some more progress I’ll have to show some examples.

Intuition tells me that the surname Gearhart is actually an Anglcised version of the more common German surname of Gehrhardt or Gerhardt. Oddly enough, I recently encountered a question regarding the cogs of a mill wheel in the Intermediate Examination of the Heraldry Society (London), when I was asked to identify, draw and hatch this full achievement: Sable, on a bend between three cogs of a mill wheel Or, as many elm leaves Vert.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

10 October 2007 19:23

ESmith;50550 wrote:

...a bit simple perhaps no worse than…Stephens…

Hey!  :rolleyes:;)

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

10 October 2007 20:41

Other potential cants (heraldic puns) to consider might include a gerfalcon, which would IMO make a fine crest.

It would be helpful to know the etymology of the German name (see David’s earlier message) and/or to look for other possible canting charges in a German-English dictionary.

And of course a bit of your friend’s family background might be useful—where from, info re: immigrant ancestor (name, occupation, religious or military service, wife or mother etc.).  Not that we’d use it all, but it adds to the buffet table (I’m obviously late for dinner…)