Finally Taken Plunge

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

20 May 2008 10:27

Having read all the encouraging postings from the artists here I finally took the plunge at the weekend and tried to do some heraldic art. It was partly prompted by noticing a craft supplier with a cheap lightbox (it has a damaged base which doesn’t affect its operation).

First go was my crest

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Talksinsentences/CrestCleanScan.jpg

Doing my crest took most of the weekend on and off. The lightbox was a great way of copying a nose that I was happy with from one drawing and combining it with a beard from another.

I’m also trying to do my complete achievement - with the aid of scanned images that allow me to resize things to get proportions right. Unfortunately I have discovered that I just can’t draw lions passant :cry: which is a bit of a problem.

Still it’s only the beginning.

And of course after that comes learning the use of colour. Eek!

James

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

20 May 2008 10:32

James,

Very nice work.  For a first go this is extremely good!  You do remember seeing some of my first things wink  On this piece I like the eyes.  They have a natural look and feel to them.  Nice job!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

20 May 2008 10:42

Nice job James!

I particularly like the nose and brow and neck. All three are nice. I look forward to seeing your continued work. smile

P.S. A light box is key for good heraldic work IMO. Well that and draftsman tools like a compass, ruler, etc.