My Grandfather and the Purple Heart

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

24 September 2008 03:47

OK. Well, you are designing it and far be it from me to tell you what to do because he is your granddad. But, from where I sit the man did earn that Purple Heart and if ever there was a “gong” to be displayed beneath an American’s shield it would be that one IMO because it says so much about the man…not just that he served…but that he shed blood while doing so. But, that is just my opinion and in this case it isn’t worth a whole lot as I’m not designing them and he isn’t my granddad and you would know he best. smile

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

24 September 2008 09:18

Is it really a question of "revealing" he was hurt, or proudly showing that he shed his blood for his country?  I would vote for displaying his Purple Heart.  In many ways, it is of more importance in indentity than most modern knighthoods or honorary degrees given to philanthropists.

Your grandfather "stood on the wall".  He was a warrior.  Isn’t that the very essence of "coat armour"?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

24 September 2008 09:31

I’ve always viewed the Purple Heart as a token of appreciation from a greatful nation for the sacrifice of a soldier rather than an "honor". It seems odd to me that we use the term "earn" for the medal. It implies that the intent was to get wounded or somehow places the bravery of a soldier who got shot above those who do not.

That is not to say that it should not be displayed in an achievement, but why more so than a theater or campaign medal?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

24 September 2008 09:39

Kenneth Mansfield;63532 wrote:

That is not to say that it should not be displayed in an achievement, but why more so than a theater or campaign medal?

Maybe it’s a cop-out, but I think the best way to deal with the issue is simply to follow the military’s own categorization. By the awards regulations, the Purple Heart is considered a decoration, whether any of us might agree or disagree with the logic.

Of course, in heraldic terms that only goes to the issue of whether it is appropriate for display like other decorations.  Whether or not one actually displays it in an achievement is, as always, a matter of personal judgment.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

24 September 2008 09:53

Joseph McMillan;63533 wrote:

Maybe it’s a cop-out, but I think the best way to deal with the issue is simply to follow the military’s own categorization. By the awards regulations, the Purple Heart is considered a decoration, whether any of us might agree or disagree with the logic.

Of course, in heraldic terms that only goes to the issue of whether it is appropriate for display like other decorations.  Whether or not one actually displays it in an achievement is, as always, a matter of personal judgment.

You are, of course, correct, Joe. And yes, it is. smile

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

24 September 2008 13:58

I haven’t decided if it will be included or not. I can see both sides of the argument but I’m leaning towards leaving it out and might omit the medal(s) to at least be on the safe side. So far 2 of 5 of his children approve of the shield and crest.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

24 September 2008 14:24

I think I’ve come to a decision. You’re right, the Purple Heart would honor his sacrifice but it accomplishes that whether it’s included in the achievement or not.

I don’t want to overwhelm the achievement with Military memorabilia because I don’t believe my grand-father would want to be remembered as a military man. In fact, that’s why I left out any reference to WW2 in the shield itself. The entirety isn’t suppose to be a memorial piece about his service.

He’s not the kind of gentleman who puts his military history out there for everyone to see. The shrapnel hit to his ankles wasn’t the only injury he received. He witnessed the death of his best friend and has also suffered from PTSD. Don’t get me wrong, he doesn’t have regrets, and appreciates every honor given to him (even sometimes bringing him to tears of gratitude) but I don’t want the achievement to be just a reminder of that chapter in his life. He doesn’t hang his medals on the wall (the purple heart is in my cousin’s closet), so I’m omitting the medal because a primary purpose of coat armor is to display it.

I want to depict George Hammond, the fisherman, husband, father, grand-father and great-grand-father, deeply rooted in Washington County,  respected in his community and adored by his family - not 17 year old Sargent Hammond of the 83rd Infantry.

The crest will be a sufficient and respectful nod towards his service and won’t scream "I’m a veteran." There’s nothing wrong with taking pride in military service. I just feel this fits him better.

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

24 September 2008 17:04

Well said, Jeremy.

I think your design does exactly what you want it to do.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

25 September 2008 00:38

Kenneth, if you spill your blood for your country you did earn that medal. Period. Also I have no problem with other military medals under a shield…I am not in the camp that does not want them to be used at all or the one that parses them out based off of some form of criteria—either good or bad. I just think that of all of them this one symbolizes great sacrifice…excepting the Medal of Honor, which I would put above this one and all others…and should be shown. But, that’s me.

Jeremy, if that is what you were looking for then I think you got it. Good job.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

23 April 2013 12:44

I recently posted to Facebook this image with the caption: "Flying the family colors."

These are my grandfather’s buoys I based the arms design on.

My grandfather also passed away last year (and my grandmother the week before). I was not able to share this project with them before Alzheimer’s set in.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22086031/buoys.jpg

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

29 April 2013 01:21

Sorry to hear that your grandfather has passed.  Sounds like he was an admirable fellow on several levels, and a fit inspiration for his descendants.

FWIW my thoughts on continuity of arms in situations like yours IIRC—he was in fact your grandfather, you are part of that family & bear his surname—so the minor quibbles of maternal ancestry & illegitimacy, at least in the American context, isn’t relevant.  Ideally IMO you & he should bear, or be remembered by, the same arms.  Some minor difference, essentially a brisure, is optional for any of his descendants bearing his surname if desired but not necessary.

If your grandfather’s arms are displayed with the Purple Heart or other appropriate military decorations suspended beneath the shield—also optional—that’s IMO quite sufficient to distinguish your grandfather from any of his posterity.  If perchance one of his same-surname kids or grandkids (or maybe cousins etc depending on how broadly the arms are used) should also receive a Purple Heart, then despite the Guidelines IMO also displaying the appropriate service or campaign medal would adequately identify the relevant war for each recipient.

My views of course.