Sherlock arms

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

27 July 2008 18:08

A few months ago I had the U.S. Heraldic Registry create certificates for two cousins of mine who are direct descendants of a 15th century Irish nobleman. Meant to show a link before, but better late than never:

http://usheraldicregistry.com/index.php?n=Registrations.20071201H

The certificates were Christmas gifts. I think the rendering came out very nice and both my cousins were pretty excited to receive the certs.

Deer Sniper

Deer Sniper
Total Posts:  222
Joined  13-06-2008

28 July 2008 00:00

Very nice gift!

They should be pleased! :D

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

28 July 2008 03:47

Original arms of the Sherlock’s:

Per pale Argent and Azure, three fleur-de-lis counterchanged.

Original crest of the Sherlock’s:

A Pelican in her piety Proper.

This is a nice difference of arms and allusion to family Arian.

arriano

arriano
Joined  20-08-2004

28 July 2008 12:25

Donnchadh;61228 wrote:

Original arms of the Sherlock’s:

Per pale Argent and Azure, three fleur-de-lis counterchanged.

Original crest of the Sherlock’s:

A Pelican in her piety Proper.

This is a nice difference of arms and allusion to family Arian.

Thanks for the comments. 3 fleurs de lis was used by the Sherlock family in County Kildare. The Sherlock family in Counties Meath and Wexford used 1 fleur de lis. The Sherlock family in Counties Waterford and Cork used 2 fleurs de lis. If anyone is interested, there’s a chapter with more info about the arms and crests used by Sherlocks in an online family history I wrote (page 121):

www.theflyingscotsman.ca/sherlock_tree.pdf

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

28 July 2008 19:04

I will check out the website Arian.

A quick note/question…the blazon I gave above is for the Sherlock’s of King’s County (Co. Offaly). It accounted to be specifically for the family of Sherlock of Rahan Lodge, Co. Offaly (King’s County) from A.D. 1900 (The Irish Book of Arms, by O’Laughlin who uses as resources and photocopies images from: The Irish Compendium, by Francis Nichols, 1735; The Peerage of Ireland, with arms of all the Lords, spiritual and temporal, corrected to January 20th, 1768, by Edward Kimber; Peerage of Ireland, by J. Almond; Peerage of Ireland, by Aaron Crossley, 1775; Peerage of Ireland, by John Lodge, 1789; The General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, by Sir Bernard Burke; The Genealogical and heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Ireland, by Burke, 1904; Visitation of Ireland, by Howard and Crisp, 0897; The Heraldic Calendar, by William Skey, 1846; Irish Peerages, by John O’Hart; Ancient Funeral Monuments of Ireland, by Weener; Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies, by Burke, 1841; Irish Families, Dr. Edward MacLysaght; History of Ireland, by Keating, IGF 3 vol. set; The National Library of Ireland, Dublin; Genealogical Office, Office of the Chief Herald, Dublin, Ireland), so I wonder how this got messed up…unless these Sherlocks of Rahan Lodge are from the Sherlocks of Kildre that you mentioned. Any idea on that for me? (I love this stuff!!!)

The history of the Sherlocks of Rahan Lodge can boast of a Count John Sherlock who was a Chamberlain to His Holiness and who inherited the house from his aunt Elizabeth Ball O’Brien, "Lady O’Brien". I’ve never been able to find out if the title was of a Papal, or Holy Roman Empire, or French, or Spanish, etc origin. Do you know?

Anyway the house is now owned by a McDermott family. Thanks for this thread and I will check out your link! smile

arriano

arriano
Joined  20-08-2004

28 July 2008 19:47

Thanks Denny. The Sherlocks of Rahan Lodge are descendants of the Kildare Sherlocks. You’ll find info on them on page 21 (specifically the footnote on that page). However, this is the first time I’ve seen reference to the arms being used by that specific branch of the family, so thank you for that.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

29 July 2008 02:45

No problem Arian. As I said, I love this stuff. Irish nomenclature is how I came to be interested in heraldry! :D

arriano

arriano
Joined  20-08-2004

09 April 2010 18:03

Someone sent me this terrific pedigree today. Note in the bottom right corner info about the coat of arms for this family.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49155781@N05/4505845613/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49155781@N05/4505845613/

Hugh Brady

Hugh Brady
Total Posts:  989
Joined  16-08-2005

10 April 2010 11:35

Very, very nice.

arriano

arriano
Joined  20-08-2004

05 July 2011 17:14

I recently found this image of the bookplate for Col. Francis Sherlock, KH (ca 1771-1848 ).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charmainezoe/5559047273/

It’s interesting to me in that he is from the Sherlock family of Co. Kildare, Ireland, but his arms differ from those usually used by members of the family. Traditionally, the arms are "Per pale Argent and Azure, three fleurs de lis counterchanged." However, it appears Francis’ arms are "Azure, a chevron between three fleurs de lis Argent." Francis left Ireland and settled in Southwell, Nottinghamshire. His older brother, William, inherited the family estate of Sherlockstown in Kildare. Not sure if Francis had a new arms created because he felt it was necessary or simply wanted to differenciate himself from the elder line. However, both the crest and the motto are the same. The escutcheon of pretense is that of Wylde, his wife’s family.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

06 July 2011 00:07

Very attractive.  A wonderful gift to say the least.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 July 2011 08:30

Arian,

A side issue, but looking at the descent given on the USHR certificate, I would think there may be a generation missing.  14 generations in a period of more than 500 years averages out to each son being born when his father was 35+ years old.  That sounds a little high, doesn’t it?

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

06 July 2011 10:01

Beautiful arms!  I would love to see my tree out to 14 generations.

arriano

arriano
Joined  20-08-2004

06 July 2011 11:37

Joseph McMillan;85726 wrote:

Arian,

A side issue, but looking at the descent given on the USHR certificate, I would think there may be a generation missing.  14 generations in a period of more than 500 years averages out to each son being born when his father was 35+ years old.  That sounds a little high, doesn’t it?

Agreed, it does seem high. But it’s what I’ve found using a lot of documented research. Also, remember that this is an Irish family - lots of kids. The descent isn’t always showing the oldest child. My great-great-great grandfather, Thomas Henry Sherlock, had sixteen children (two died in infancy) with two wives. He was 30 when his first child was born, and 63 when the last one arrived.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

07 July 2011 17:29

as a side note, and don’t know if it applies here, but in ireland it had been a sort of social custom for men and women to marry older than they do now. several historical documentaries i’ve seen on this from both Eire and USA point this out. however, that also tended to be more common amongst the common folks, or the native irish and not the Anglo-Irish or Norman-Irish excepting those whose socio-economic status was that of the native Irish. again don’t know if it applies, but it was a societal custom there before.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

07 July 2011 22:30

Donnchadh;85804 wrote:

as a side note, and don’t know if it applies here, but in ireland it had been a sort of social custom for men and women to marry older than they do now. several historical documentaries i’ve seen on this from both Eire and USA point this out. however, that also tended to be more common amongst the common folks, or the native irish and not the Anglo-Irish or Norman-Irish excepting those whose socio-economic status was that of the native Irish. again don’t know if it applies, but it was a societal custom there before.

I’ve read things to the same effect with respect to various populations (colonial New Englanders got married older than colonial Virginians, for example), but the difference seemed to be on the order of mid-20s vs. late teen/early 20s or thereabouts.  And before birth control and television, it was very unusual for a married couple to go more than a couple of years before the first child came along, barring medical issues.