American Roll of Independent Arms (link)

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

06 November 2008 12:36

Perhaps you have seen this site before, but here is a link to this Roll http://www.modernheraldry.com/roll3.htm Some Arms is quite good I think. But there are som funny things as the blending of Latin and English in the Seal of the Archbishop Sean A. Nutter.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

06 November 2008 12:42

Complete NONSENSE! The worst kind of "bucket shop".

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

06 November 2008 12:53

What a fugly shade of purpure.

Why do you call it a bucket-shop?  At least they’re original arms, rather than selling "The Arms of Smith" to every Smith, Smythe, Schmidt and Schmidtlap.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

06 November 2008 12:57

Well at least for the most part they seems to follow Heraldic rules.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

06 November 2008 14:04

Marcus K;64310 wrote:

Well at least for the most part they seems to follow Heraldic rules.

Click on the icons and look at the supporters, etc.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 November 2008 14:58

And the 30 tasselled green galeri with swords, crosiers, miters, and pallia for "Apostles" Robinson, and Terrill, not to mention the same hat with double-barred cross, miter, crosier, and pallium for "Archbishop and Primate" Smith.

Some of it’s awful, but I agree that "bucket shop" isn’t quite the right term.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

06 November 2008 15:03

I tried to find out who is behind this operation. From the website of the Ecumenical Catholic Church of America…

Quote:

David Ortiz with The Modern Heraldry Company has been commissioned to create a new Coat of Arms for our Patriarch, His Beatitude Archbishop Dr. RC Anderson.  Mr. Ortiz has been designated as the Official Church Herald of the Ecumenical Catholic Church of America. Mr. Ortiz has created the wonderful design shown below which has been ECCAepted as the official personal Coat of Arms of His Beatitude Archbishop Dr. RC Anderson.

Emphasis mine.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

06 November 2008 16:18

Michael Swanson;64317 wrote:

Click on the icons and look at the supporters, etc.

Well I agree that they create a overloaded and pretentious effect. But as there is no rules who can’t or can not use supporters in the USA they are not wrong as such. As for my native Sweden supporters should not be used by Burgher Arms.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

06 November 2008 16:27

Joseph McMillan;64318 wrote:

And the 30 tasselled green galeri with swords, crosiers, miters, and pallia for "Apostles" Robinson, and Terrill, not to mention the same hat with double-barred cross, miter, crosier, and pallium for "Archbishop and Primate" Smith.

Some of it’s awful, but I agree that "bucket shop" isn’t quite the right term.

Well they are sure overloaded and perhaps different insigna should have been chosen. And especially the Pallium should have been left out, as this is a symbol of communion with the Holy See. But the constellation of the Mitre, Crozier and Sword acctually have been used in Heraldry, but again as these "Churches" are modern creations one should have refrained form using this ancient practice. But looking strictly to the Shields they are for the most part according to Heraldic rules.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

06 November 2008 16:35

It was interesting to see so many peaceful clerics with swords as well as mitres, croziers and processional crosses, even one "apostle" with the black galero of a simple priest and the 30 tassels of an archbishop.

Some of the arms are quite nice, but I can’t say much for the colour palette in use.  Some of the renderings were quite shoddy although the designs were nice.

I consider this to be a genuine query, not intending to cast aspesions on claims of legitimacy, but, are these bishops, apostles and archbishops of recognised Churches?

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

06 November 2008 16:56

Well anyway I found the Apostolic Anglican Church listed under the heading Anglican churches "Not in communion". But I would guess that these "Churches", primates, bishops and the like probably are unrecognized by the larger part of Christianity.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

06 November 2008 17:21

How can you not like arms for a brewery?

http://www.modernheraldry.com/pict_dsb.htm

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

06 November 2008 18:45

The clerical arms in this collection seem to follow the rule that the smaller and more (shall we say) "independent" the church, the grander and more pretentious the titles and arms of its clergy.

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

06 November 2008 18:53

Dohrman Byers;64335 wrote:

The clerical arms in this collection seem to follow the rule that the smaller and more (shall we say) "independent" the church, the grander and more pretentious the titles and arms of its clergy.

I take great offense to that!

Signed,

His Most Illustrious Imperial Pope-Bishop of the Canadian Catholic Atheistic Communion, Defender of the Royal Faith and Saint-Elect.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

06 November 2008 20:22

Quote:

http://www.modernheraldry.com/roll3.htm

Totally hideous IMHO, and pretty appallingly drawn.

"Heraldry is our passion", they say! - And, to make it all even sillier, they display an achievement of an earl described as a "marque’s Arms on a painting" (sic! - http://www.modernheraldry.com/images/BMD_marq.jpg and http://www.modernheraldry.com/every_day_heraldry.htm ).

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

06 November 2008 23:07

Perhaps we should invite Mr. Ortiz to join our ranks.