Design Assistance Request from Jeff

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

29 December 2010 22:42

Oh, and I don’t have photoshop or illustrator, I only have GIMP which I am not sure what file type that uses as I simply use it to edit JPEGs.

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Total Posts:  226
Joined  23-04-2010

29 December 2010 22:55

I think GIMP can open .psd files.

No, the 3-D effect is strictly the prevue of the heraldic artist. I chose to include the lines in this particular file. They can easily be "filled" out, but I rather like the effect they have. It’s looks especially nice next a Sun with a face (or In His Splendor as they say.)

When I was working on my own arms, Kenneth Mansfield graciously helped me out with the blazoning. That’s why I’m pretty confident that Compass Rose is a more accurate than Mullet of Eight Points.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

29 December 2010 23:57

I was reminded upon seeing this second introduction of this eight-pointed star in as many weeks, that I have used it before (in drafts of arms for my wife :oops:). In researching how to blazon it I discovered that the U.S. Army’s Institute of Heraldry calls this a compass rose. The Society for Creative Anachronism calls it a compass star. I was told by Geoffrey Kingman-Sugars in a private communication:
Quote:

A Crux Étoilée/Estoilée is heraldic-speak for a ‘star cross’. - a four pointed star.  A double Crux Etoile is an eight pointed star - one of four points superimposed over the top of another which has been rotated 45°.

I have been able to find no actual blazon that contains this language, however.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

30 December 2010 01:36

Jon, have you ever seen anyone else use the star like you have it in your arms?

Mr. Mansfield, the Principality of Hut river and SCA probably do know their stuff, but do you think if I could get away with quoting them as my sources when dealing with folks here? :o

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

30 December 2010 01:52

i so want to comment on the nonsense of the "principality of Hutt River" and their chief herald. however, i will leave it simply at i would take a HUGE grain of salt with any info i got from them or from their chief herald—this is based on my dealings in design settings (not personal…whole different issue) with said person as the head of heraldic design when i was at IAAH. but that’s just me.

George Lucki

George Lucki
Total Posts:  644
Joined  21-11-2004

30 December 2010 09:21

If you look at the arms and badges of the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada you will see this design blazoned as a compass rose. Mullets or stars have equal arms. Geoff Kingman Sugar’s blazon is simply silly as there is no need to create heraldically a figure that already exists in heraldry - but then "Huttian" heraldry is quirky… smile.

I noticed new promotions, knighthoods and peerages among the Huttian heralds. Knighthoods and titles are so rare in real world heraldry but apparently much much more common in Hutt River.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

30 December 2010 09:54

If you type site:www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil compass rose into a Google search, you will find many examples like this, and many more not like this. The compass rose would appear to have many iterations. The example George cites, for example, has 16 points. This would be a good case for the infamous as depicted in the margin phrase. I see no reason why you could not simply say a star of eight points. It may not be historical, but there are many things that find their way onto shields these days which are not.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

30 December 2010 23:11

So it seems to be the concensus that I can get away with blazoning this pesky star as "compass rose?"

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

30 December 2010 23:47

JBGarrison;80828 wrote:

So it seems to be the concensus that I can get away with blazoning this pesky star as "compass rose?"

I think so. You might specify of eight points just in case somewhere down the road someone interprets it to have 16, put I probably wouldn’t.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

31 December 2010 08:40

Agreed, thankyou Mr. Mansfield.  Seems prudent to specify "compass rose of eight points."

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

02 January 2011 17:39

[ATTACH]807[/ATTACH]

The blazon: Argent, a Star of Eight Points with Diagonal Rays shorter than Cardinal Rays Sable, and on a Chief Embattled of the last, Four Stars of Eight Points with Diagonal Rays shorter than Cardinal Rays of the field.

Input on both blazon and emblazoning would be greatly appreciated! :D

EDIT: negative reactions also welcome; my feelings won’t be hurt as I value honest opinion over niceties in this case

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

02 January 2011 20:29

JBGarrison;80870 wrote:

[ATTACH]807[/ATTACH]

The blazon: Argent, a Star of Eight Points with Diagonal Rays shorter than Cardinal Rays Sable, and on a Chief Embattled of the last, Four Stars of Eight Points with Diagonal Rays shorter than Cardinal Rays of the field.

Input on both blazon and emblazoning would be greatly appreciated! :D

EDIT: negative reactions also welcome; my feelings won’t be hurt as I value honest opinion over niceties in this case

I like the design. I would suggest the blazon "Argent a star of eight points the cardinal rays extended and on a chief embattled Sable four like stars Argent." Modern blazonry tends to deprecate the "of the last," "of the first" stuff as confusing, and to treat each tincture as referring to everything preceding it since the previous tincture mentioned.

But I hasten to add that there are no fixed rules of blazonry, and yours is perfectly clear and correct if you prefer it.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

02 January 2011 21:25

I agree with Joe on all counts. Nice work, JB.

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

03 January 2011 09:14

Dear Jeffrey,

I think the blazon somewhat ponderous.  Why not break new ground and invent a new heraldic stellar charge?  Why not name a star with four extended rays in cross and four shorter rays in saltire - a nova?  This would then allow you a more succinct blazon as follows:

‘Argent a nova sable on a chief embattled four novae all counterchanged’

Just a thought on the New Year holiday Monday.

With every good wish

John

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

03 January 2011 09:55

John, your answer is genius!

That word, nova, is what my dad always uses for his online handle!  I don’t know why I never made the connection between what kind of stellar critter that star was supposed to represent and his typical username… a million thankyous!

Also, thank you everyone for the continued input.

I’m going to run that new term by him. John, may I credit you as the source of this new heraldic term in any future occurrence where I might use it?  My credibility as a herald doesn’t merit the invention of new terms.