Design Assistance Request from Jeff

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

07 April 2011 06:07

Feudal lords who could not or would not fight themselves certainly had to hire their swords, however, I have read not a few accounts of vassals who attended their lords in person and who also enjoyed finding excuses to bloody their maces in peacetime.  I blame it on English weather and French cuisine.

I will have to read up on Michel Pastoureau, thanks for posting… it was my understanding that early feudal lords attended their liege’s in war as often as not and this only drastically changed roundabouts the hundred years war and beyond with the advent of large scale professional mercenary armies.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

07 April 2011 09:06

JBGarrison;81959 wrote:

Feudal lords who could not or would not fight themselves certainly had to hire their swords, however, I have read not a few accounts of vassals who attended their lords in person and who also enjoyed finding excuses to bloody their maces in peacetime.  I blame it on English weather and French cuisine.

I won’t argue about the English weather but, apparently, you’ve never tried French cuisine.

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

07 April 2011 10:40

kimon;81960 wrote:

I won’t argue about the English weather but, apparently, you’ve never tried French cuisine.

Exercise.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

10 April 2011 19:03

kimon;81960 wrote:

You are correct as I have not tried it.  This because a friend of mine growing up who left the states to serve in the French Foreign Legion told me all about French food (no, were’ not talking gourmet :snail: here). Tastes great in fact, especially the pastries however, after long exposure, let’s just say it can be painful to sit down for long periods. I didn’t want to have to explain an obscure attempt at humor, but I’ve been called out, haha, so there! wink

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

11 April 2011 15:26

Hmmm…I’d always heard that Heaven was French cooks, English police & German mechanics…which the other end of the elevator ride was English cooks, German cops & French mechanics.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

13 May 2011 18:26

Okay, I’ve doodled my dad’s achievement of arms so I can see what it looks like.  I’ve prepared some plaques to paint this on to send down to him in CA.

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=845&d=1305325107