Revision etiquette, etc…

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

08 May 2009 21:04

I was following Claus’ thread regarding the simplification of his arms and changing one’s blazon can certainly have a positive out come, but…

I’d be interested in having a discussion about the idea of changing arms and if it’s a respectable practice and under what circumstances if any.

I’ve heard some cons: degrades the value of a blazon; particularly disruptive if the arms have been used for more than one generation…

... and some pros: revision and evolution may lead to simpler, more attractive arms; acceptable and expected as someone becomes more familiar with heraldry.

Not only am I interested in hearing this debate for academic purposes… but it’s something I have been mulling over personally regarding my own arms.

So… what does the AHS say?

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/phe0134l.jpg

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

08 May 2009 21:36

My first thought is: Why would you be considering changing your beautiful arms? They are among my favorites in the forum.

That said, I would think it ill advised to change ancestral arms, unless they are embarrassingly ugly or ill-conceived.

On the other hand, I would see no problem with altering arms on the occasion of some major change in the status or fortunes of an individual or family. That certainly has many ancient precedents. Of course, I would hope that such changes move in the direction of greater simplicity, clarity, or elegance—not just adding more stuff to ones arms. (I think, for example, of a bishop simplifying his personal arms or altering them to better marshall with those of his see.)

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

09 May 2009 00:51

as a general rule, i do not like the idea of altering one’s arms unless it is really needed, as in the case of Claus’ arms and registering them etc. i, or rather my family did, but that was within a very short time in designing them to begin with. but, there is no way we would redesign them now. i suppose, however, if for some reason Dad went to have them granted by, say CHoI, and it came back different i’d look to the method that Doc Drake uses and combine them if need be.

i can’t see any reason, and i mean any at all, to change one’s ancestral arms. but, i’m one of those types who doesn’t like people meddling with history and re-writing it in light of contemporary (by definition always changing) sensibilities. and for me this is the same thing as ancestral arms are historical and help in telling the family history…for better or worse.

now your arms are so newly designed i could see no problem with it per se. except that some people out there might get in the habit of redesigning their arms every couple of years to suit their changing artistic tastes. to me at least that is very bad heraldry.

as an artist and designer, if you came to me on this, i’d say the only thing i’d change would be the border…I’d drop it…and otherwise leave your arms alone. but, that’s me and what do i know?

p.s. this is why a long "fridge test" is advisable imo.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

09 May 2009 07:42

In my humble opinion, the Society’s guidelines are pretty eloquent regarding this matter.

Actually changes are as essential for our life, heraldic or otherwise, as continuity. Heraldry provides armigers with immense varieties of chances to use the same arms in a new way, and to use brisures or, say, introduce new crests for different family branches is much less revolutionary than a complete revision, but the latter is also possible if ... well, if both the armiger<strike> and her/his/their competent heraldic advisor<strike> do find it justified. To change assumed arms which contain a heraldic error (unless this error is "sealed by the immemorial use") is as normal as to go to a dentist, and in many case this is equally true for granted arms.</strike></strike>

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

09 May 2009 10:28

I’m with Fr. Byers on this one.  I see your arms and badge and know exactly who I’m talking to - when whipping thru a forum quickly, my mind recognizes your arms faster than your name.  To me - That’s a great testament to your arms.

Having said that, if you have a family change or significant event, by all means make the change as appropriate.  If you’ve got a "niggling" of something you don’t like in your current arms - I’d give it a long thought before I changed.

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

09 May 2009 12:19

Dohrman Byers;69011 wrote:

My first thought is: Why would you be considering changing your beautiful arms? They are among my favorites in the forum.

That said, I would think it ill advised to change ancestral arms, unless they are embarrassingly ugly or ill-conceived.

On the other hand, I would see no problem with altering arms on the occasion of some major change in the status or fortunes of an individual or family. That certainly has many ancient precedents. Of course, I would hope that such changes move in the direction of greater simplicity, clarity, or elegance—not just adding more stuff to ones arms. (I think, for example, of a bishop simplifying his personal arms or altering them to better marshall with those of his see.)

Agreed as to all.

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Total Posts:  255
Joined  06-01-2009

10 May 2009 00:22

Jeremy,

I truly like your arms.  Like Kathy said they stick in the mind—in a good way.  wink  (I speak soley for myself here.)

Regards,

Robert

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

10 May 2009 02:17

Be glad that you live in such a free society and do as you please. If you want to change your arms, change them. If you later decide you like the original design, resume your use of it. For better or for worse, the stakes are very low. The past of American heraldry, such as it is, will not be besmirched by your changing your arms, and the future will not be compromised by it. If I felt genuinely inspired to change my arms, I wouldn’t hesitate at all to do so. What’s the worst that could happen? Some descendant of mine noting a conflict between the image on my signet ring or my stationery and the blazon I have on file at the NEHGS?

Mind you, Joe M. and Co. have done an amazing job of synthesizing a plausible, coherent, historically-based vision of appropriate American heraldic practice, and this vision rightly frowns on changing arms for "light and transient" reasons, but I’d say being uncomfortable with an emblem that’s supposed to represent your identity is weighty and nagging, not light and transient, and therefore justifies your doing whatever you’re free to do (which is anything) to alter it.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

10 May 2009 15:42

I appreciate the compliments. I’m fairly confident I’ll keep my arms - but I’ll at least share what I had in mind. The first reason is aesthetics - so most likely not going to happen - but I had thought my shield would look better with an engrailed bordure instead of embattled. Almost as if the escallop shells had taken bits out of the edges.

More realistically - I’m getting married - and my fiancee’s father is in the process of assuming arms of his own which may lead to the marshalling of our arms. A simpler design would make that easier - perhaps removing the bordure all together.

There’s still a good chance I won’t.

So far there seems to be a consensus about changing arms in general. A much shorter conversation than I was expecting.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

11 May 2009 11:08

If you don’t like your arms marshalled with your wife’s on the same shield, rather than changing your arms, why not display your marital arms on separate shields, side by side, yours to dexter and turned for courtoisie?

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

11 May 2009 12:16

Dohrman Byers;69062 wrote:

If you don’t like your arms marshalled with your wife’s on the same shield, rather than changing your arms, why not display your marital arms on separate shields, side by side, yours to dexter and turned for courtoisie?

Or simply call off the wedding. wink

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

11 May 2009 12:37

Dohrman Byers;69062 wrote:

I recall at least one example, by Denny I believe, that looked very nice.

arriano;69066 wrote:

Or simply call off the wedding. wink

"I’m sorry dear, our achievements don’t marshall well.  It would never work out."  LOL

dr.h.roth

dr.h.roth
Total Posts:  129
Joined  19-03-2008

11 May 2009 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dohrman Byers View Post

This is actually a very time-honored tradition in German heraldry.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

11 May 2009 23:12

Better yet, Let the arms follow the name and change your name.  Assuming your wife may be the heiress to her father’s arms.  You could place your arms as an escutcheon of pretense on hers… <chuckle>

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Total Posts:  255
Joined  06-01-2009

11 May 2009 23:55

Jeremy,

I’m glad that you shared with us the reasons why you’re considering changes to your arms.  I feared the worst; expecting a complete overhaul and something quite, if not completely different from the arms you display now.

IMHO, the change of the bordure is certainly not a major change, and yes it is to enhance the aesthetics.  I guess I will have to amend, or rethink my previous statement.  I mistakenly expected drastic changes.  So, I guess I could contradict myself and say, you could easily pass off with a different bordure.  8-)

Regards,

Robert

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

12 May 2009 04:16

I get the sense waht Jeremy is after is his arms marshalled with his wives for use as an avatar and other purposes, not only display in the home.  Size to distinguish both arms displayed together may be his concern.