Working on arms for the City of Thorsby, Ala

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

02 November 2010 09:30

IMO, nicely done!  I recognize the basic design comes from your arms.  Please explain the design and the rationale.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

02 November 2010 11:51

eploy;80250 wrote:

IMO, nicely done! I recognize the basic design comes from your arms. Please explain the design and the rationale.

Edward,

Go to the top of this thread and you’ll find the entire history of the effort.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

02 November 2010 20:46

Given the circumstances & public exposure—and of course the nice design!—this should be a candidate for the next Design Awards.

laneryd

laneryd
Total Posts:  34
Joined  27-08-2010

03 November 2010 07:39

eploy;80250 wrote:

IMO, nicely done!  I recognize the basic design comes from your arms.  Please explain the design and the rationale.

The design and rational for my arms, which were published half a year before the design of the arms of Thorsby:

The principal idea is, that from my name, a name you can read on some rune-stones from the Viking age, just be using Thor`s Hammer on a shield (Torsten=Thor- stone, which means thunderbolt or tough/robust).

As I learned more about heraldry, I would like to make it as simple and clear as possible. I even tried to make a blazon only in heraldic terms without mentioning the hammer. And I nearly got away with it, because it was preliminarily approved of before it was finally registered as a “Thor`s Hammer throughout”. I would more like to see it as a Scandinavian expression for thunder, and that is why it is all light (Silver) in all darkness (Sable).

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Total Posts:  265
Joined  12-06-2007

03 November 2010 10:03

I like your arms, and I remember your reticence about the charge and it’s ancient, mythological connection, but I think it’s entirely appropriate, and I’m glad you went forward with it.  I can’t make out what your crest is, though.

laneryd

laneryd
Joined  27-08-2010

03 November 2010 11:10

Charles Glass;80262 wrote:

I like your arms, ...  I can’t make out what your crest is, though.

Thank you!

My crest is a Thor`s Hammer upside-down of gold, with a red birds tail from a Red Kite (Milvus milvus) coming up from the handle. You recognize the Red Kite bird from the V-shape of its tail, and you know that V stands for Victory. The Red Kite is the national bird for Skåne (Scania) which is the most southern part of Sweden and (some think) gave the name to the whole Scandinavian half-island.

Red and gold are the colors of the flag of Scania and also of the middle-age flag of the Nordic Union between all Scandinavian countries.

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

04 November 2010 22:17

Both designs are indeed very elegantly simple and therefore pleasing to the eye.  Thanks for sharing.

laneryd

laneryd
Joined  27-08-2010

05 November 2010 05:35

Kelisli;80269 wrote:

Both designs are indeed very elegantly simple and therefore pleasing to the eye.  Thanks for sharing.

It was my pleasure to present them in this honorable forum. smile

Caledonian

Caledonian
Total Posts:  153
Joined  13-09-2011

07 October 2011 08:19

Hugh Brady;71097 wrote:

I would be interested in hearing how a city in Alabama selected the Swedish Heraldry Society to design its arms. How did they find you? Or did you find them? Etc.

Thorsby, Alabama, is possibly the only community in the state to be founded by Scandinavian immigrants (rare in the Southeastern U.S.).