Irish Chiefs & Chieftains Roll version 2

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

11 January 2010 13:38

This is the third and final piece for the Leinster part of this roll. It is the arms of O’Toole Fer Tire, Prince of Fer Tire de jure, Lord of Uí Muireadhaigh and Uí Mail de jure, Comte O’Toole, Pair de France, Chief of the Name O’Toole.

This chief was recognized very early on by Dr. MacLysaght when he began the "courtesy" recognition by the CHoI office of the NLI. This chief died and had no children of his own to inherit the titles. The chiefship is considered dormant. I’ve read where there is a relation who is eligible for this chiefship but who has not sought it and again I’ve read where there is a claimant but from a cadet branch—not of the family that migrated to France. I simply don’t know which is correct and so in doing this project I decided to include these arms as they belonged to a chief who was among the first recognized in the 40s.

As for the coat of arms and crest they are really one of the easiest of the arms of all the chiefs and chieftains to be honest. However, this particular chief was also a French Count and a Peer of France; hence the coronet of a French Count lined with an Azure velvet cap and a mantle armoyé (reproducing the arms) fringed with gold and lined with ermine. Since his arms are that simply of a lion passant I couldn’t really find a suitable way to produce those on the red of the mantle as I’d seen in other arms of Pair de France I found on the internet especially in Google books on French heraldry.

Enjoy and again my apologies for my phone camera’s quality of the picture but my scanner is still out.

Emblazon:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9355/chiefotoolelayoutcolort.jpg

Blazon:

Arms: Gules, a lion passant Argent.

Crest: A boar passant Proper.

Additaments: A French comtes coronet Proper, lined with an Azure velvet cap; a mantle armoyé (reproducing the arms) fringed with gold and lined with ermine.

Motto: Tádócas Agam (I hope).

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

11 January 2010 13:43

next in the series are the achievements of the chiefs/chieftains who came from Royal Meath (the fifth and often forgotten Irish Kingdom) followed by Connacht, Ulster and Munster.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

11 January 2010 14:59

The collection is coming along nicely.  You have much more patience than I do.

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

12 January 2010 03:37

very nice picture Denny smile

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

12 January 2010 11:17

thank you both.

Ljubodrag Grujic

Ljubodrag Grujic
Total Posts:  36
Joined  07-11-2007

16 January 2010 06:48

Nice work.

About the O’Toole motto: It should either be Tá dóchas agam or Tá dócas agam with a dot over "c" for lenition (better the latter)

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

17 January 2010 01:32

thanks Ljubodrag. i will recheck my records and amend if need be…well…ask a mod to do it if UKOA and CHoI records i have are off. i suspect you may be right. come to think of it…i think it’s an older copy of Burkes i downloaded from online that may have it as i typed here. again will check it. thanks.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

21 January 2010 15:21

This is the first piece for the Meath section of this project. It’s the arms of The Fox (O’Kearney) of Kilcourcy, Lord of Teffia de jure, Chief of the Names Fox and O’Kearney.

The Fox is Mr. Douglas John Fox of Mildura, Australia. He is a delicatessen owner in Mildura, Australia. His father is still alive and would rightfully be The Fox, but apparently after his wife died in 1997 he has no desire to exercise his position as The Fox even within his own family and had his eldest son begin to assume any sort of responsibility or publicity in relation to being The Fox.

This family is in fact O’Kearney, but since a forefather became known as The Fox for his personal abilities the family has simply kept the name. It is also interesting to note that the O’Kearney Lords of Kilcoursey are of the same clan only being a cadet of the line that has assumed the name Fox.

Enjoy and again my apologies for my phone camera’s quality of the picture but my scanner is still out.

Emblazon:

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8940/chiefthefoxarmscolor.jpg

Blazon:

Arms: Argent, a lion rampant and in chief two dexter hands couped at the wrist Gules.

Crest: An arm embowed and hand in armor holding a sword all Proper.

Motto: Sionnach Abu.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

21 January 2010 15:23

Mods, Ljubodrag is correct regarding the motto for O’Toole (post #17 above) would you please edit the motto from what it is to this…..

Tá dóchas agam

thank you.

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

22 January 2010 06:50

nice picture it is getting to be a very nice armorial smile

Peter Harling

Peter Harling
Total Posts:  87
Joined  19-11-2009

22 January 2010 09:10

Thanks for the potted history Denny. I find it most interesting to hear a little about the families whose arms you are emblazoning so nicely.

Regards ....................  Peter

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

22 January 2010 15:18

thanks Ton. always nice to hear from you. smile

you’re welcome Peter. i find it nice to have a little background on the family if possible otherwise it is sorta…static…or bland…heraldry. this way, for me anyway, it is alive/real.

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

23 January 2010 07:53

These are great.  They’re clean, vigorous renditions that do honor to both arms and artist.

What I like best about them is that, even in the high level of artistry, one can still see the hand of the artist. It is obvious that someone sat down and drew these arms with love for the art.  That’s part of what heraldry is about, I say.

Kudos, sir, kudos.

Vires Per Ego

Vires Per Ego
Total Posts:  35
Joined  17-01-2010

23 January 2010 09:12

You get major props from the new guy! Your emblazonments are classic and tasteful.I`m very impressed,sir!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

25 January 2010 11:58

thank you Joseph and William. i appreciate it. i’m glad people like these. sometimes this issue (irish chiefs/chieftains) can spark odd debates, which isn’t what i want; i want it to be about the heraldry for the chiefs/chieftains regardless of what chief/chieftain is, or, isn’t. so, it’s nice to see they are appreciated. i’m taking a break from them for a week or so because i have an allied piece i have to do for a client for his wedding invitations right quick and in a hurry. but, i’ll come back to this in a week or so i believe.