Alternate "colours"

Barrie Burr

Barrie Burr
Total Posts:  169
Joined  23-05-2009

30 January 2010 02:56

I was watching my football team (Manchester United) on TV a few days ago and they were playing in one of their “away” colours as their usual strip of red is also the usual strip of the “home” side. So it is normal for European football teams when playing away from home, to wear different colours to the “home team” if their usual colours are the same. I have no idea if this happens in US grid-iron “football”.

This got me thinking about knights having “alternate colours” for away battles…..crazy notion I know but I am interested to know how many members would have an “away colour strip” of their arms!!!!

I came up with this format for my arms….same colours re-arranged and different ordinaries used. Yeah yeah, I was bored and decided to have a play….... Doing my version of Kimon’s banner and shield (attached) inspired me to this colour scheme by changing the Saltire to Chevronel’s and turning the world upside down re the colours. For those who do not know the story behind my arms, the information was supplied to AHS when I applied for my arms to be placed in the Member’s Roll. I have no idea if this information is available to other members. Anyone interested in this sort of information can ask me by contacting me via the members massage/email area….......

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u119/bbheraldry/AHS Images/HomeandAwayColours2.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u119/bbheraldry/AHS Images/KimonsBanner-AHS.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u119/bbheraldry/AHS Images/Andreou-Kimon.jpg

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

30 January 2010 04:03

Very interesting idea - home and away shields…

As to US football, the distinction in Home and Away teams is made by dark for home and light/white for away games.

Love the emblazons for Kimon!

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

30 January 2010 04:58

Kathy McClurg;74643 wrote:

As to US football, the distinction in Home and Away teams is made by dark for home and light/white for away games.

Normally but not invariably—some NFL teams prefer to wear white at home, most famously the Dallas Cowboys.  The college football rule is as Kathy describes, but a few teams have exceptions to preserve traditional practice—Louisiana State wears white at home for example.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

30 January 2010 09:29

In the NHL, most of the time the home team wears white.  Very nice job on Kimons arms as well smile

lucduerloo

lucduerloo
Total Posts:  86
Joined  13-09-2009

31 January 2010 07:45

This posting is probably redundant, but knights—or at least some knights—had "arms for war" and "arms for peace". The former were their appropriate version of their family’s arms. The latter a device that they apparently used in tournaments. The three ostrich feathers on sable used by the Black Prince is probably the best known example of this. In the Low Countries princes used "arms for peace" (at least at their funerals) until the early 17th century.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

31 January 2010 07:51

Since I cannot add anything to the thread, I just wanted to mention that those look great! Thank you Barrie!