Facebook?

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

05 June 2011 18:34

The problem with message boards is, you run out of things to talk about.  You always see older members get irritated by new threads, discussing a subject they’ve already talked about long ago.  They then advise people to "Use the search feature".  Eventually you can just search for old threads to get all your answers, and you never have to make a new post.  Then the board gets dry and shriveled, and nobody wants to even bother making any new threads…or can’t think of any new threads to make…or you just shoot down the newbies who do in fact ask the questions by just saying "SEARCH IT!".  I ran a message board for 4 years, keeping activity levels up, is like trying to swim up stream, and being lazy and just telling people to use the search, will not help that.  Yes, people should search the old threads, but that shouldn’t be your automatic response.

A consistent flow of new members is what keeps a message board going.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

07 June 2011 14:50

Well said. And a Facebook fan page would help towards driving membership. I don’t see what’s wrong with the same conversations coming up. New people are interested, and people like to engage in conversation - so what if it’s the same as before? If anyone is irritated about people asking instead of searching, I suppose they don’t have to respond at all. Personally, I’d rather people ask than not ask at all. And speaking as someone who’s worked in the development department of a nonprofit - outreach necessitates saying the same thing over again - that’s how you educate. It’s how people find out about heraldry.

Father Guy suggested I propose it to the board. I was hoping this thread served as my proposal - but if you think I should prepare something more formal, I’d be happy to.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

08 June 2011 23:40

Jeremy Corbally-Hammond;84356 wrote:

Well said. And a Facebook fan page would help towards driving membership. I don’t see what’s wrong with the same conversations coming up. New people are interested, and people like to engage in conversation - so what if it’s the same as before? If anyone is irritated about people asking instead of searching, I suppose they don’t have to respond at all. Personally, I’d rather people ask than not ask at all. And speaking as someone who’s worked in the development department of a nonprofit - outreach necessitates saying the same thing over again - that’s how you educate. It’s how people find out about heraldry.

Father Guy suggested I propose it to the board. I was hoping this thread served as my proposal - but if you think I should prepare something more formal, I’d be happy to.

Very well said.  Lets face it, most people aren’t willing to even ask the questions, let alone take the time to search for their question.  It’s a pain to search hundreds of threads, not to mention 12 pages of some beefy topic to find the answer to your question.  It’s easier, and not to mention more personal to ask somebody.  I don’t mind topics coming up again because sometimes you get new angles to it that you didn’t have in the original topic.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

09 June 2011 01:05

J. Stolarz;84503 wrote:

I don’t mind topics coming up again because sometimes you get new angles to it that you didn’t have in the original topic.

For your crimes against the internet, you are hereby sentenced to 5 years hard labor as forum mod.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

09 June 2011 08:55

J. Stolarz;84503 wrote:

Very well said. Lets face it, most people aren’t willing to even ask the questions, let alone take the time to search for their question. It’s a pain to search hundreds of threads, not to mention 12 pages of some beefy topic to find the answer to your question. It’s easier, and not to mention more personal to ask somebody. I don’t mind topics coming up again because sometimes you get new angles to it that you didn’t have in the original topic.

1.  I feel like I’m coming across lately as really rude and unpleasant, and I apologize.

2.  Maybe this is a generational thing.

But

3.  If someone can’t be troubled to take the time to read TWELVE FREAKING PAGES! to find out what he wants to know, when various and sundry search engines have eliminated the work of plowing through indices and all the rest, then I personally don’t care if he EVER gets his answer.

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Total Posts:  226
Joined  23-04-2010

09 June 2011 09:28

Joseph McMillan;84531 wrote:

There is undoubtedly a generational gap on this particular board. I remarked to Kimon the other day just how civilized this little corner of the internet was. That is, in a large part, due to the older, wiser, members. That’s not to say your urging of new users to utilize the search function is wrong.

I do agree with Joshua, that in order to encourage new members, you need to be gracious when they ask a question that has been asked before. Take the time to introduce yourself, because that’s really what they’re doing as well. After you say hello, mention the search function, or post a link.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

09 June 2011 09:49

1.  I feel like I’m coming across lately as really rude and unpleasant, and I apologize.

Would that everyone on the internet was as even-keeled as Joseph, even when frustrated.  I’ve rarely picked up anything more than a polite but firm reminder to double-check:

a) one’s references,

b) one’s logic,

c) the AHS guidelines and resources, or,

d) what’s been posted before.

Seems reasonable.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

09 June 2011 10:51

It’s somewhat generational.  I’m noticing how old I’m getting at work as the next generation arrives.

Keep it up Joe,

With computers as they are - most answers are within arms length.  Having said that, it took several rounds of Joe’s reminders for me to at a minimum refer to the guidelines and run searches.

I hope I haven’t annoyed Joe too much lately, other than I’ve been feeling a little cheeky lately.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

09 June 2011 10:58

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;84513 wrote:

For your crimes against the internet, you are hereby sentenced to 5 years hard labor as forum mod.

I was the head forum administrator for 4 years to a 500+ member board.  It isn’t that bad wink

3.  If someone can’t be troubled to take the time to read TWELVE FREAKING PAGES! to find out what he wants to know, when various and sundry search engines have eliminated the work of plowing through indices and all the rest, then I personally don’t care if he EVER gets his answer.

People should take responsibility, and do some research on their own, I will give you that.  However short of helping new members design their arms, or posting some little heraldry finding like an arms we saw on a library, wine bottle, or funeral home…we’ve pretty much already covered just about every heraldry topic you can imagine.  Why don’t we just let the forum roll over and die, because heaven forbid we discuss the same topic twice.  If you don’t care, then don’t reply to the topic.

Maybe things are generational.  Most of the older members seem pretty content with the board being where it is…while the 20 - 30 year old members want to see the society move forward.  It’s what makes the world go round.  I’m not sure one side is more in the right than another, but just has varying opinions on what they feel should be done.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

09 June 2011 11:37

J. Stolarz;84543 wrote:

IMaybe things are generational.  Most of the older members seem pretty content with the board being where it is…while the 20 - 30 year old members want to see the society move forward.  It’s what makes the world go round.  I’m not sure one side is more in the right than another, but just has varying opinions on what they feel should be done.

I wouldn’t classify based purely on age (somewhat of a faux paux to political correctness), however I might defer to those with more applicable experience (which can correlate to advanced age).  So playing the odds, I will bend my ear longer to the more senior in years in the likelihood of applicable experience having been obtained, while at the same time, appreciating the fresh and unindoctrinated perspectives of the uninitiated to this subject (who are not neccessarily young in years) because they often come up with new insights (which would be valueless without then combining them with old foundations).

Dennis the Menace and Mr. Wilson do not have to be in perpetual battle. raspberry

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

09 June 2011 11:50

Nobody likes political correctness…but I’ll try not to mount my soapbox on the subject wink.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

09 June 2011 12:05

J. Stolarz;84558 wrote:

Nobody likes political correctness…but I’ll try not to mount my soapbox on the subject wink.

Lol, you mean nobody over the age of 30 something likes policital correctness… oh wait… :banghead:

:rofl:

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

09 June 2011 12:10

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;84561 wrote:

Lol, you mean nobody over the age of 30 something likes policital correctness… oh wait… :banghead:

:rofl:

:rofl: Good one.  My gosh I love this forum.

I know that I have a lot to learn in just about every department of my life, but it’s fun learning about heraldry and other issues here on AHS.  The maturity level on this forum is much higher than most message boards a frequent, and it’s refreshing.  I know I butt heads with quite a few of you on a regular basis, probably due to the way I come across in my messages.  That being said, I really do have a respect for all of you, and especially the senior members that have been here since I joined back in 2007.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

09 June 2011 12:19

But

Oh, gosh - I certainly don’t consider your posts rude or unpleasant. And I’m not saying I mind people forwarding newcomers to the guidelines or pre-existing threads. By all means, they’re great sources. I don’t have a problem with that practice.

While we seem to be in the mode of making lists, my points are:

1. The existence of information online shouldn’t preclude its propagation.

2. Propagation of information in written form, even online, requires repetition as well as multiple strategies/avenues to meet multiple customized methods of information gathering.

3. Dialog (such as through this forum) can supplement static sources as a strategy. Neither supplants the other.

4. Facebook and our forums are both strategies/avenues used to encourage dialog. Neither need supplant the other.

People learn differently - some by reading, some by doing, some by conversing. As an organization interested in the promotion of widely misunderstood art and science - shouldn’t we be compelled to employ multiple avenues and strategies for the propagation of this information?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

09 June 2011 12:48

Jeremy Corbally-Hammond;84566 wrote:

Oh, gosh - I certainly don’t consider your posts rude or unpleasant. And I’m not saying I mind people forwarding newcomers to the guidelines or pre-existing threads. By all means, they’re great sources. I don’t have a problem with that practice.

While we seem to be in the mode of making lists, my points are:

1. The existence of information online shouldn’t preclude its propagation.

2. Propagation of information in written form, even online, requires repetition as well as multiple strategies/avenues to meet multiple customized methods of information gathering.

3. Dialog (such as through this forum) can supplement static sources as a strategy. Neither supplants the other.

4. Facebook and our forums are both strategies/avenues used to encourage dialog. Neither need supplant the other.

People learn differently - some by reading, some by doing, some by conversing. As an organization interested in the promotion of widely misunderstood art and science - shouldn’t we be compelled to employ multiple avenues and strategies for the propagation of this information?

Well done! It looked iffy there for a moment, but I do believe the Bismark has been sunk. :D