Andriacco

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

19 March 2011 14:16

Mr. Dan Andriacco, director of communications for the archdiocese of Cincinnati, has asked me to design a coat of arms for him. (His family is not armigerous; his grandfather was a shepherd in Italy.)

One very simple, classical design that occurred to me, would be: Vert a saltire between four lions’ heads erased Argent.

The family name, originally Andriaccio, is a diminutive for Andrea/Andrew—hence the X-shaped cross. The would-be armiger’s baptismal name is "Daniel Mark"; both names make me think of lions.

This design is so simple and classical that I feel certain it must be in use already , but I can’t find it. I’m still looking; but if anyone recognizes it, I’d appreciate a heads up.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

19 March 2011 15:12

Fr Dohrman,

The reference to Daniel and Mark is very clever; wouldn’t it be more allusive to use only two lion heads?

As a non-speaker of Italian I may be wrong, but I think that the -accio suffix is actually the opposite of a diminutive, and that the name should therefore mean "Big Andy."  Can’t think of any heraldic implications of that, though.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

19 March 2011 15:56

You may be right about "-accio." Either way, "Andy."

I’ll keep the two heads option in mind, in case I find this design and need to difference it.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

19 March 2011 17:54

I’ve seached high and low on Google and have found no blazons which come close enough to be in danger of being impinged upon.  People seem to like to use crosses between erased lion heads, but saltires not so much, and none using the tinctures involved.

The arms for Técou community in Tarn, France use: Vert a saltire Argent so some people might see an allusion to this rather than Italy?  Well, probably not since a tiny community buried in France probably wouldn’t have a monopoly on argent saltires and green fields, hehe.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

19 March 2011 18:05

If his name were O’Andriacc instead of Andriacco, you could have two lions supporting a saltire—very Irish.

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

19 March 2011 19:32

Made some sketches…

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
[ATTACH]827[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]828[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]829[/ATTACH]
</div>

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

19 March 2011 19:47

How about two lions and two lambs?—bringing in grandfather’s work, the Biblical reference to the lion laying down with the lamb, the agnus dei (sp??} and far greater likelihood of avoiding inadvertaqnt infringement.

The lion & lamb would also make a nice crest, but I assume he will use a galero of some sort.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

19 March 2011 21:12

Fr. Dohrman, you’ve come up with a nice design, and Claus, some nice options.  Of course I’m partial to vert and argent.

My vote would be for the four lions’ heads.  Interestingly (in that I didn’t think I would) I like Claus’ design with the single head in base better than the one with two heads.

lucduerloo

lucduerloo
Total Posts:  86
Joined  13-09-2009

20 March 2011 12:04

I would prefer the lion and lamb combination. We are after all talking about arms for a clergyman.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

20 March 2011 12:17

lucduerloo;81756 wrote:

I would prefer the lion and lamb combination. We are after all talking about arms for a clergyman.

I think you should look at that first post again…

Dohrman Byers;81741 wrote:

Mr. Dan Andriacco, director of communications for the archdiocese of Cincinnati, has asked me to design a coat of arms for him.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

21 March 2011 10:03

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Claus: I love your lions’ heads! Mine are much more "primitive." I’ll post some artwork as soon as I have time.

As Fr. Guy picked up, Mr. Andriacco is a layman. In fact, just this morning he said his son is interested in an appropriately differenced version of the arms.

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Joined  25-05-2005

21 March 2011 10:41

The lions’ heads are not mine. All credit to John Gaylor, who allowed me to use his artwork some years ago.

lucduerloo

lucduerloo
Total Posts:  86
Joined  13-09-2009

21 March 2011 15:48

I guess I lost my thread somewhere along the line

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

24 March 2011 15:15

I finished the design for Mr. Daniel Mark Andriacco. (I’m just beginning to play with gradients.)

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4458/andriaccodmweb.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The cross of St. Andrew (saltire) is for "Andriacco". The lions’ heads are for Daniel (of lion’s den fame) and Mark (as in Venice).

The client asked for three things in particular:

(1) the colors of the Italian flag, hence the unusual wreath and mantle, to balance the green white and red,

(2) some reference to his career as a journalist, hence the scribbling lion crest,

(3) the insignia of the Order of the Holy Sepulcher (of which he is a member), hence the Jerusalem cross on the billowing white mantle, evocative of the white cape worn by knights of the EOHS.

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Joined  25-05-2005

24 March 2011 16:26

Although requested, I would advise against placing the insignia of the Order of the Holy Sepulcher (of which he is a member), hence the Jerusalem cross on the billowing white mantle,  evocative of the white cape worn by knights of the EOHS.

These arms are quite possibly to be inherited by children, which most likely are not members of the Order. It would be better if he chose to show membership in the traditional way.

[ATTACH]831[/ATTACH]
</div>

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Joined  25-05-2005

24 March 2011 16:34

Although requested, I would advise against placing the insignia of the Order of the Holy Sepulcher on the mantling, even if it is evocative of the white cape worn by knights of the EOHS.

These arms are quite possibly to be inherited by children, which most likely are not members of the Order. It would be better if he chose to show membership in the traditional way.

[ATTACH]834[/ATTACH]
</div>