Andriacco

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

25 March 2011 16:26

We discussed Mr. Andriacco’s children. We decided that, if any of his children care to use his arms, the cross of the EOHS would be omitted from their achievements. In fact, we discussed the possibility of differencing their arms by the use of different crests and mantling. I also gave Mr. Andriacco an achievement of his arms, showing only the shield placed in front of the cross of the EOHS, as you have shown it, Claus.

So far, only one of Mr. Andriacco’s children has shown any interest in this project—his son (not the eldest), who is in the US Air Force. He, however, does not seem interested in bearing his father’s arms. In the design process, I proposed to Mr. Andriacco a more modern alternative to the rather conventional design he finally chose. This alternative focused on the cross of St. Andrew and the quill pen representing his career in journalism. It is this design which his younger son wishes to adopt.

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/8061/andriaccomje.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I’m still working on a crest for these arms. Sgt. Andriacco has asked for something to represent his military service.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

29 March 2011 15:49

Interesting design!—certainly clean & simple.  How would you blazon the partition? —too low to be "per fess" but a little high to be a plain point.

Jay Bohn

Jay Bohn
Total Posts:  283
Joined  04-03-2008

29 March 2011 16:31

Michael F. McCartney;81834 wrote:

Interesting design!—certainly clean & simple. How would you blazon the partition?—too low to be "per fess" but a little high to be a plain point.

Per base?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

29 March 2011 16:44

No such thing as "per base." It could be blazoned as Sable a base Argent, overall a quill pen bendwise sinister and in base a saltire couped all counterchanged. The format is vaguely similar to the arms of former Prime Minister Harold Macmillan, 1st Earl of Stockton:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/MacMillan-Armorial/Macmillan-Stockton.gif

which are blazoned Argent a Chief Or overall between three Open Books proper edged Or and bound Azure those in chief inscribed respectively in letters Sable "Miseres" and "Discere" and that in base also in letters Sable inscribed "Succo" and as many Mullets Azure a Lion rampant Sable, the "overall" referring to the charges, not the chief.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

31 March 2011 09:18

Here are the finished arms of the younger Andriacco. He selected a shield entirely different from his father’s, but I constructed the achievement in a similar way.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8427/mjapng.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

St. Andrew’s cross is for "Andriacco," the quill pen for journalism. The younger Andriacco is in the US Air Force and asked for some references to that. For a crest, therefore, I used an eagle and decorated the mantling with an Air Force star (a mullet argent pierced gules). The airman’s specializations are in Public Affairs and Electronic Systems Technology. The Air Force badge for Public Affairs features a quill pen and a bolt of lightning, the latter also serving well to represent electronics—thus the lightning bolt in the eagle’s beak.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

31 March 2011 21:46

The arms of the younger Andriacco look great!

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

01 April 2011 01:16

Dohrman Byers;81810 wrote:

So far, only one of Mr. Andriacco’s children has shown any interest in this project—his son (not the eldest), who is in the US Air Force. He, however, does not seem interested in bearing his father’s arms.

Although the designs are very pretty, I find it unfortunate that his son does not wish to use the arms. Heraldry, after all, is the use of hereditary designs on a shield.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

01 April 2011 08:32

Charles E. Drake;81864 wrote:

Although the designs are very pretty, I find it unfortunate that his son does not wish to use the arms. Heraldry, after all, is the use of hereditary designs on a shield.

I totally agree with Charles.  I’ve been hanging back from saying so for fear of igniting a firestorm, but I find the tendency for everyone to have a coat of arms that expresses himself or herself personally a depressing manifestation of the temper of the times.  Was it Tom Wolfe who described us as the "me generation"?

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

01 April 2011 11:50

Charles E. Drake;81864 wrote:

I agree. I guess I prefer that the next generation adopt a different coat of arms to abandoning the use of arms altogether; but it is a shame. Alas, one has little clout in these matters. Mr. Andracco’s elder son has begun to show interest in this project. I’m hoping for better luck with him.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

01 April 2011 15:38

A classic (well, heraldic) example of the difference between what I "can" do vs what I "should"...

...having said which, he’s within his rights.  Will be interesting to see what his other son(s), or the grandkids of each line, eventually decide to use (if they use at all).

And it may be an object lesson in adopting arms without prior consultation with one’s siblings/cousins/heirs.

Jay Bohn

Jay Bohn
Total Posts:  283
Joined  04-03-2008

01 April 2011 16:11

Joseph McMillan;81865 wrote:

I totally agree with Charles. I’ve been hanging back from saying so for fear of igniting a firestorm, but I find the tendency for everyone to have a coat of arms that expresses himself or herself personally a depressing manifestation of the temper of the times. Was it Tom Wolfe who described us as the "me generation"?

One can be equally critical of the assumer whose design is too me-centric that it turns off the descendant or the descendent who wants to to go his own way. (I was trying to avoid gender specific language, but it just got too awkward.)

I think this is similar to some of what I was trying to say here.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

01 April 2011 18:19

Jay Bohn;81872 wrote:

One can be equally critical of the assumer whose design is too me-centric that it turns off the descendant or the descendent who wants to to go his own way.

Critical, but perhaps not as critical. The founder of the arms is by definition the parent of those who later inherit them, and respect for one’s father and mother has divine sanction.

But I agree that a person assuming arms should at least make sure the design isn’t so egocentric that his children are certain to disavow it.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

03 April 2011 17:54

Good news! Mr. Andriaccao’s elder son is perfectly happy to use his father’s arms. I suggested a slightly different crest, to distinguish them. Still working on that.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

04 April 2011 17:13

While of course Jr. is free to alter Sr.‘s crest, there is AFAIK no imperative to do to—keeping the heritage as is, would seem to be the more usual course.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

05 April 2011 14:05

I’m thinking of offering Dan Jr. several options.

1) Use his father’s arms (shield and cfrrest) differenced only by omission of the cross of the EOHS.

2) Use his father’s shield undifferenced but with a distinctive crest.

3) Use his father’s arms, the shield diffrenced with a label during his father’s lifetime, the crest either the same as his father’s undifferenced or also differenced with a label.

4) Use his father’s shield differenced with a label during his father’s lifetime and a distinctive crest.

I’m interested in folk’s opinions as to which of these they would recommend—or something I haven’t thought of.