Advice sought: arms for ancestor

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

06 June 2011 14:32

Wondering what everyone on here thinks about designing arms for an ancestor, and whether designing arms for an ancestor might be impossible in some instances.  In particular I was wondering if those who have wrestled with this situation could pass on what your rationale was.

If I’m going to design arms for this ancestor, one main goal would be to end the usurping of the English branch of the family’s arms.  I would want them to be used by more than just me.

My maternal family (the Rathbun/Rathbone clan) all descend from one particular family who came from Blackpool, England in 1655.  At the head of this family was John Rathbone.  In fact, almost everyone in North American with the surnames Rathbun or Rathbone can probably count him as an ancestor.  He was a prominent resident of Block Island, RI and was a member of the Rhode Island general assembly.  In fact, the anchor Or on my crest is an allusion to the anchor in the arms of the state of Rhode Island.

Certainly someone worthy of remembering, but here’s the problem; the Rathbun family and the Rathbun family association almost usually usurp the arms of the Rathbone family of Greenbank, England.  In fact I have a printed-out family history with these arms on the cover.

How do I go about getting other people on involved?  Who else did those of you who have been through this consult?

Thanks

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

06 June 2011 14:40

Mr. Olivo, I am in the minority here with this opinion, but I believe that attributing arms to ancestors is my least favorite option.  I am more in support for choosing arms to attribute to a family association.  This is, of course, just a friendly opinion and I know that most others here will weigh in on the opposite opinion. smile

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

06 June 2011 14:47

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;84209 wrote:

I am more in support for choosing arms to attribute to a family association.

+1.  This distant ancestor had the opportunity to assume arms while he was alive.  He didn’t.  It seems presumptious to posthumously assign arms to him.

Assuming arms for the family association seems like a better idea.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

06 June 2011 14:53

<sigh> Jeffery, David - UNLESS you are assuming them for a close relative to honor his/her memory….  <don’t argue with me on this one, it’s been a rough week already and I’ve explained it elsewhere and I’ve been at work since 5:00 AM and - Just save it for tomorrow!>

Yep, I think the family association is a better idea…

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

06 June 2011 15:31

Kathy McClurg;84216 wrote:

<sigh> Jeffery, David - UNLESS you are assuming them for a close relative to honor his/her memory….  <don’t argue with me on this one, it’s been a rough week already and I’ve explained it elsewhere and I’ve been at work since 5:00 AM and - Just save it for tomorrow!>

Sorry you are havin’ a rough week Kathy. smile

lucduerloo

lucduerloo
Total Posts:  86
Joined  13-09-2009

06 June 2011 17:22

Imagine one of our descendants designed arms for us. How would we feel about it?

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

06 June 2011 17:28

I see everyone’s point about arms for a family association rather than an individual.  But since my goal is to prevent the ongoing usurpation of the English Rathbone arms, it seems that very few people would actually know about it (only those few active in the association).

How does one shout louder than the bucket shops?  I think that maybe I’m just biting of more than I can chew.

grin

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

06 June 2011 17:37

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;84209 wrote:

I am more in support for choosing arms to attribute to a family association.  This is, of course, just a friendly opinion and I know that most others here will weigh in on the opposite opinion. smile

What exactly is meant by a family association?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

06 June 2011 17:53

jcar;84243 wrote:

What exactly is meant by a family association?

Usually this means a geneologically based enclave which shares information based on a surname and/or common ancestor.  It can also include family reunion event organization as well.

I can imagine there may be more to a family association (sometimes read as surname society), though I have only read about them and I am not a member of any so I do not have access to details.

There is no reason you cannot start your own for a more recent ancestor, but there may already exist one for distant ancestors so it would be good to check?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

06 June 2011 17:58

Mark Olivo;84241 wrote:

How does one shout louder than the bucket shops?  I think that maybe I’m just biting of more than I can chew.

:D

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

06 June 2011 18:53

Mark - Does the ancestor in question have a living direct male descendant? If so, then that person would assumably be the person who would "inherit" these arms. How does this person and other male descendants feel about such a design? Do you track down all living ones and get their approval? I don’t know how big your family is, but it would seem the right thing to do and potentially difficult and possibly exasperating.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

06 June 2011 21:12

lucduerloo;84240 wrote:

Imagine one of our descendants designed arms for us. How would we feel about it?

Exactly

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

06 June 2011 21:59

Kathy McClurg;84216 wrote:

Kathy,

Sorry.  Didn’t mean to hit a nerve.  I haven’t been tracking what you’re referring to, but don’t mean to offend.

David

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

06 June 2011 22:25

Mark Olivo;84241 wrote:

I see everyone’s point about arms for a family association rather than an individual.  But since my goal is to prevent the ongoing usurpation of the English Rathbone arms, it seems that very few people would actually know about it (only those few active in the association).

grin

Most bucket shops have some type of coat of arms for just about any surname.  (Except most seem to lack one for Stolarz haha).  There isn’t a whole lot you can do about it unfortunately though.  Continued education to the general public on heraldry is the best solution.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

06 June 2011 22:39

Mark Olivo;84204 wrote:

My maternal family (the Rathbun/Rathbone clan) all descend from one particular family who came from Blackpool, England in 1655.  At the head of this family was John Rathbone.  In fact, almost everyone in North American with the surnames Rathbun or Rathbone can probably count him as an ancestor.  He was a prominent resident of Block Island, RI and was a member of the Rhode Island general assembly.  In fact, the anchor Or on my crest is an allusion to the anchor in the arms of the state of Rhode Island.

I assume there is no evidence that this gentleman used a coat of arms?

Mark Olivo;84241 wrote:

wink

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

06 June 2011 22:48

I’m still a little confused on what exactly a family association is.  It almost sounds like a surname group or something…but I don’t think that it is.  Somebody help me :p