Arms for Step-Father-in-Law

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

23 June 2011 21:38

My wife and I have decided that her mother’s husband would actually greatly appreciate having a personal coat of arms designed for him. I thought I’d at least seek some initial ideas from people here in the forums - I know how much everyone likes to design arms.

He’s ex Navy. XO on Submarines. We’ve decided to stick with blue and gold for the livery colors. He has a doctorate and now teaches business at university.

Hobbies include guns, dogs, motorcycles and the outdoors - though, of course, not all of these things need be represented.

So far we’ve thought about employing a pheasant as a principal charge as it relates to guns, dogs and the outdoors all in one.

Thoughts?

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

24 June 2011 04:22

Shield:  Azure a pheasant volant Or (Could make it a little less simple with a Orle Or, too) - In Burke’s General Armory, most Pheasants are found in crests.

Crest:  On a wreath Or and Azure, Between two Dolphins naiant reguardant Or a book bound Azure. (although I do get tired of books and torches on the "school" side. Reminiscent of the Navy Dolphins and includes a reference to teaching, per se)

So, no chance of canting?  I see it’s a step-father, so is your wive’s name the same as his?

Jeff Poole

Jeff Poole
Total Posts:  138
Joined  07-03-2009

24 June 2011 06:28

lets be a little radical

Arms "azure a seahound Or" should cover the navy and dogs in one go, make it semee of bezants (gold coins)(bezantee?) for business to give

"Azure semee of bezants a seahound Or"

and for the crest "on a mound vert in front of a ? tree proper a dolphin holding a book Or bound Azure"

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

24 June 2011 11:29

FYI - I believe the "dolphins" included in submariners’ insignia are actually dolphin-fish, ie mahi mahi.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

24 June 2011 11:53

I hadn’t thought of using a dolphin - duh!

His last name is Prindle - if anyone wants to try canting. I actually love canting.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

24 June 2011 15:07

Jeff - I like the idea, but Jeremy specified a Pheasant…  Maybe a seme of Bezants behind it.. Bezante

Arriano - The heraldic Dolphins are close enough to the submarine dophins that it works.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

24 June 2011 15:13

What I’m finding so far on Prindle is it appears to be a name related to a location.  As some of the very reliable internet folks say.. Probably near a noted valley or ravine…  I think the canting is going to have to be left to our more clever members…

I do like the Sea Dog idea - but am unsure a submariner would like the combined reference…  Jeremy would have to tell us how his step father in law sees the idea of a sea-dog.

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

24 June 2011 15:50

Kathy McClurg;85266 wrote:

What I’m finding so far on Prindle is it appears to be a name related to a location.  As some of the very reliable internet folks say.. Probably near a noted valley or ravine…  I think the canting is going to have to be left to our more clever members…

I’m less clever, but more literal…Prindle to me seems to be begging for a cant on "brindle".  Given that he likes dogs, why not a "Plott Hound proper" for the crest?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2V0y62kSFu4/SbVMs0v5elI/AAAAAAAAAXw/5-6pMCbFAQI/s400/65021996.JPG

For the shield, what about:

Per fess engrailed or and azure a heraldic dolphin hauriant counterchanged?

Jeff Poole

Jeff Poole
Joined  07-03-2009

25 June 2011 04:03

Thanks Kathy I should have read it a bit closer, I like "Azure semee of bezants a Pheasant Volant Or" and for the crest "on a mound vert in front of a ? tree proper a dolphin holding a book Or bound Azure"

Jeff Poole

Jeff Poole
Joined  07-03-2009

25 June 2011 04:31

To add to Kathy’s comment re Burkes, Papworth has

<div class=“bbcode_indent” >
Arg. a chev. az. betw. three pheasant cocks vert beaked and legged gu. breast yellow. Richard Chopin, Alderman of London, W.

Arg. a chev. gu. betw. thre6 pheasants (of the second another) ppr. (?O’Merreh.)

Az. a ‘chev. betw. three cock pheasants or. Tomkins, Webley, co. Hereford.

Gu. a chev. (plain) betw. three pheasants and a bordure engr. arg. Zeketh, Harl. MS. 1404.

Sa. a chev. betw. three pheasants arg. Jeeveis, co. Worcester.
</div>