Corporate Arms

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

11 December 2011 13:26

I have been out of the loop with designing for the past few months and must admit that I’m due for a major refresher on the basics, so bare with me.

A friend of mine runs a local surplus/gun/tactical training business and has brought me along to do graphic design work for him. One of the things I did, more for fun than anything, was design arms for his shop. As it is a military styles shop and he values tradition, I figured he would appreciate the legacy of it all (which he did).

So I wanted to share a rough copy of the arms I designed and get some feedback from the Society. My step back into the game, as it were.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b146/Snydercrew/Chief-Embattled.jpg

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

12 December 2011 00:25

The arms and crest themselves aren’t bad, though maybe the shield is a bit complex for corporate use where they will, if used at all, serve the same purpose as a logo.

As for the supporters (any supporters, not just these—artistically they’re not bad) I’m reluctant to revive past discussions as to their appropriateness…

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

12 December 2011 01:03

The design itself wont actually be used for public display or as a logo. It’s more of in-house shop situation than anything. There are already logos and a moniker in place, so this is just a formal representation of the shop. Honestly, from the way he was talking I wouldn’t be surprised if he wanted to adopt them for himself.

As for the supporters, I recalled when creating the arms that they are not to be placed on the shield for individual unless they can prove they have earned it (more or less), but I remember seeing that corporations/businesses could. After I designed them, I looked this up and realized that I was missing the key aspect of "national or historical importance." With that, the eagles are going to be removed—I just haven’t gotten around to doing it yet. Something I meant to mention on my initial post. A rookie mistake wink

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

12 December 2011 10:35

With no helm, I’m thinking the grenade crest would look more like a crest if it were placed on a wreath.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

12 December 2011 11:25

Do the charges of the field each represent something significant?  The snake reminds me of the "Don’t Tread on Me" logo somewhat.  The three arrows having something to do with the "not easily broken proverb?" I take the crosses in chief to indicate christian allusion and the embattled chief to reference that the store is also something of an armory or bastion for its customers?

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

12 December 2011 21:37

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;90450 wrote:

Do the charges of the field each represent something significant?  The snake reminds me of the "Don’t Tread on Me" logo somewhat.  The three arrows having something to do with the "not easily broken proverb?" I take the crosses in chief to indicate christian allusion and the embattled chief to reference that the store is also something of an armory or bastion for its customers?

You are pretty much spot on with everything. The gentlemen I did this for comes from a long lineage of military veterans and is a very proud of the United States being his home. He is what most people would call a "militant, card carrying NRA member, gun nut", but not to the extremes of overthrowing the government and stock piling emergency rations and ammo.

The snake is in reference to the Gadsden Flag, which has been a personal motto for him since I have known him. The arrows are more of a reference to being ready for battle. Honestly, the two of them together is by chance as it is a piece of clip art. Crosses do indicate Christian allusion. So it is a very personal set of arms directed at him, but would be a good representation of his lineage.

As for the crest, I was going to use a helm and go with a standard approach, just haven’t quite gotten that far. This is in addition to removing the supporters per recommended guidelines smile