A fun opportunity…

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

31 October 2011 17:39

Hi All,

I wanted to share with you a wonderful opportunity I had this morning.  The 4th Graders at my daughter’s school have been studying Medieval Europe since the beginning of the year.  On Halloween every year they have a big "feast" where all the kids dress up and Knights, Lords and Ladies.  The teachers decorate one of the gyms like the inside of a castle.  The kids eat and dance and just have fun.

Yesterday I was contacted by one of the 4th grade teachers to come in today and speak to the kids about Heraldry.  As I only had 30 - 45 minutes, I touched on tinctures, basic Ordinaries and a few charges.  I had the opportunity to show them a couple full emblazonments, I used Kimon’s arms and my own.  I also had the chance to explain why Arms need to be unique (identification purposes for the Armored Knight) and how Arms are still very much in use today.  As a closing statement I explained the difference between a Coat of Arms and a supposed "family seal".  I stressed the fact that just cause your last name happens to be Stewart doesn’t mean you have a right to use the Stewart Arms (in a fun a humorous way).  I encouraged the children to learn more about Heraldry and the history of their own families.

I was honored when I was done to be asked back next year to make another presentation to them.  I am hoping at that time to have some fun Heraldry related handouts and maybe a few papers for "design your own shield".  If any of you would be interested in helping me devise things like this over the next year, I would welcome your assistance.

—Terry

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

31 October 2011 20:14

Good tor you!!—most of us would welcome the opportunity!

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

01 November 2011 05:51

I haven’t explored this much, but if the kids have computers:

http://www.yourchildlearns.com/heraldry.htm

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

10 December 2011 20:33

That’s fantastic. I would have thoroughly loved a visit like this when I was in school. Kudos to the teacher for bringing you in as well. I always enjoy hearing about the teachers who go above and beyond to teach their students.