My arms by Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

02 November 2011 05:22

Yesterday, Andrew completed my arms which I’d like to present here.

http://jamiesongallery.com/globefamilyarms.html

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

02 November 2011 05:39

Congratulations on being the owner of such a beautiful emblazonment!

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

02 November 2011 06:41

Richard G.;89528 wrote:

Yesterday, Andrew completed my arms which I’d like to present here.

http://jamiesongallery.com/globefamilyarms.html

Richard, thanks for posting these. I found them an interesting coat to do in so many ways. First the crest, a challenge to get two lions and an armillary sphere in a ships hull and keep them all proportionate and keep the crest to a size which could be worn.

Then the stain Sanguine. I am not sure if people realise that red, any red, is notoriously difficult to shade darker without hitting black too soon. So starting with a dark red was tricky. I had to bring all the surrounding colours up to speed so as to balance and harmonise with each other. When it came to highlighting the Sanguine the easy thing would have been to add white. But using the colour mix I had that would have only made the highlight a shocking pink! so I experimented with adding other colours and eventually arrived at a tone which was light enough but did not jar to much with the base colour.

I also reduced the number of nails on the shield and made them larger. All in all a nice set of arms to design and paint.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Joined  26-07-2011

02 November 2011 07:15

Thank you Andy. Until now, I’ve not had a hand painted version of my arms and of course I’m delighted. Not being an artist, nor familiar with the medium of colours and their properties, I had no idea the (sanguine) tincture of my arms would present it’s own set of challenges. In my opinion you’ve resolved this with great finesse.

I’m especially pleased with the nails. Traditional passion nails might have been an obvious choice, however since so many of my ancestors were nail makers, I’m grateful you chose to create something quite unique and representative.

In heraldry, Globes do not abound in either name or illustration, and I’m the first person who bears our surname to assume arms. The armillary globe is intended as a subtle illustration of my name, and I’m very pleased with your analogy.

This is something I will cherish.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

02 November 2011 10:28

My compliments to the artist and congratulations to you, Richard.

This is an outstanding emblazonment.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

02 November 2011 10:37

Once again, Andy proves that he’s one of the top artists in the field.  The final achievement is quite beautiful.  I do love that the nails are not traditional nails that you’d see in a hardware store.  But my favorite part of it has to be the crest.  There’s something about the two blue lions that I love (which may be why I love your family’s extended set of COA) and these are painted to perfection.  Congratulations!

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

02 November 2011 11:14

The crest is truly wonderful to behold!  Beautiful work (as usual), Andrew.  And congratulations, Richard, on an emblazonment that I am convinced will be enjoyed by your family for generations to come.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

02 November 2011 11:27

A splendid emblazonment of a splendid coat of arms!

Luis Cid

Luis Cid
Total Posts:  163
Joined  03-09-2009

02 November 2011 13:28

Very impressive work by Andrew. Thanks for sharing this Richard.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

02 November 2011 14:17

Beautiful!  The helm is amazing.  Congratulations.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

02 November 2011 15:39

It is nice to see your crest, Richard, not all distorted the way has been done by the "clip-artists". It is masterfully illustrated, but I wonder why the helm affronty. It has the effect of showing the ship in the process of coming about, if that’s the right term. A helm in profile would have made more sense to me.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

02 November 2011 15:51

Kenneth Mansfield;89549 wrote:

It is nice to see your crest, Richard, not all distorted the way has been done by the "clip-artists". It is masterfully illustrated, but I wonder why the helm affronty. It has the effect of showing the ship in the process of coming about, if that’s the right term. A helm in profile would have made more sense to me.

I think either would work, but to me it makes more sense for the ship to be athwart the helm than for both lions to be looking off to the same side.  Had the lions not been guardant, a helm in profile might have made more sense.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

02 November 2011 15:52

Joseph McMillan;89551 wrote:

I think either would work, but to me it makes more sense for the ship to be athwart the helm than for both lions to be looking off to the same side.  Had the lions not been guardant, a helm in profile might have made more sense.

I’ll buy that. A point I had not considered.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

02 November 2011 21:20

Dittos all around—and many thanks for sharing the gorgeous eye candy!

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

03 November 2011 00:42

Richard G.;89533 wrote:

I’m especially pleased with the nails. Traditional passion nails might have been an obvious choice, however since so many of my ancestors were nail makers, I’m grateful you chose to create something quite unique and representative.

My first thought was of a carpenter who missed his nails often with the hammer (hence the sanguine). wink

Richard G.

Richard G.
Joined  26-07-2011

03 November 2011 06:06

David Pritchard;89560 wrote:

My first thought was of a carpenter who missed his nails often with the hammer (hence the sanguine). wink

:rofl: :rofl: