Pille Crest by Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

02 January 2012 18:06

The crest of Philippe Pille. A good friend and Patron of mine, Phil was a Bomb Disposal Officer in the Belgian Army. It was painted with gouache on art board. This is the second version of the crest I have painted and so I made some changes in the style and scale of the ‘bomb’.

http://jamiesongallery.com/ppcopyrightasj.html

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

02 January 2012 18:16

Nice work.

Aquilo

Aquilo
Total Posts:  278
Joined  02-10-2010

02 January 2012 18:29

Philippe is such wonderful person and I think this crest matches his unique personality .

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

02 January 2012 19:05

Thank you Dale.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

02 January 2012 19:26

Wonderful job as always!

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

02 January 2012 22:17

Simply brilliant and I wouldn’t expect any less. I love how you balanced the flames with the tail of the lion, in look and feel.  Great work, Andy.  You keep amazing us all with your superb skills and technique.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

03 January 2012 07:31

Kelisli;91386 wrote:

Simply brilliant and I wouldn’t expect any less. I love how you balanced the flames with the tail of the lion, in look and feel.  Great work, Andy.  You keep amazing us all with your superb skills and technique.

Thanks fella’s ! Hassan many thanks for the comments on my work, enjoyed our chat and always glad to hear from one of my existing patrons :cool:

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

03 January 2012 15:53

Nice!—I especially like the expression on the lion’s face—priceless!

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

04 January 2012 07:29

Well I don’t know about you but all beasts in heraldry should look mildly irritated and some downright ferocious and hungry. So they should be skinny too, a fat lion is a lazy lion ! I hate depections of beasts that are bordering on cute or leaning toward Bambi. Lions of course are the king of beasts and so should look proud, fierce, brave and noble. Now the man that owns this crest has all of those qualities and I wanted the lion to look at the flaming bomb and have that attitude of ‘bring it on’ I can deal with this !

Anthony Wood my tutor funnily enough had a conversation with Ce, my fiancee, over lunch recently about this very subject and he told her that he always taught me that the ideal heraldic beast would be somewhere between the real thing and a Walt Disney cartoon. He pointed out the genius of Walt Disney in capturing the attributes of the animals he drew and simplifying them. Heraldry is no different.

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

04 January 2012 09:45

Andrew Stewart Jamieson;91440 wrote:

Anthony Wood my tutor funnily enough had a conversation with Ce, my fiancee, over lunch recently about this very subject and he told her that he always taught me that the ideal heraldic beast would be somewhere between the real thing and a Walt Disney cartoon. He pointed out the genius of Walt Disney in capturing the attributes of the animals he drew and simplifying them. Heraldry is no different.

I have long wondered what an emblazon would look like if it was to be drawn by one of the masters cartoonists of Disney, e.g. Carl Barks or Don Rosa. I’m guessing that it would still be easily recognizable, and yet have a humorous quality. I know that at least Don Rosa has draw the arms of the McDuck’s, and it wasn’t all that bad…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

04 January 2012 11:43

Andrew Stewart Jamieson;91440 wrote:

By coincidence I was just discussing some of the Disney and other cartoon designs of WWII US Army Air Force squadron insignia with Chuck Mugno of TIOH just a week or so ago. The USAF, of course, has become far too dignified for such things—I think its official heraldic guidelines actually prohibit the use of cartoon figures—but fortunately some of the old designs were grandfathered.

Even when these badges are not properly "heraldic," many of them among among the best military heraldry we have. The one Chuck called to my attention was that of the 41st Airlift Squadron:

http://www.afhra.af.mil/shared/media/ggallery/webgraphic/AFG-071214-001.jpg

In 1943, when this emblem was approved, the unit was the 41st Troop Carrier Squadron, with the primary mission of dropping paratroopers into New Guinea, the Philippines, and elsewhere in the southwest Pacific area. The badge captures this perfectly—note the angry expression of the kitten and its claws extended, ready for a fight.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

04 January 2012 16:33

This is brilliant. I’m a cat person and my super hero weakness is cute kittens, cartoon or real.

Incidentally, I’ve had the idea of rendering heraldry (namely for the more active of you in the forum) in cartoonish format myself for the last month or so, though I hadn’t acted on it or given voice to this zany notion.

Ideas floatin’ through the ethers maybe.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

05 January 2012 16:18

One of our forum’s best home-grown heraldic artists (Denny McGoff) began IIRC as a cartoonist, or at least with a significant experience & talent in that arena; and while his work rapidly adopted a more traditionally heraldic appearance, IMO the residual cartoonist’s muse contributed a good deal of the visual impact of his heraldic art.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

06 January 2012 07:07

Michael F. McCartney;91483 wrote:

One of our forum’s best home-grown heraldic artists (Denny McGoff) began IIRC as a cartoonist, or at least with a significant experience & talent in that arena; and while his work rapidly adopted a more traditionally heraldic appearance, IMO the residual cartoonist’s muse contributed a good deal of the visual impact of his heraldic art.

I have watched his work improve over the last few years and I like his direct style. Ce and I count him as a very good friend.  I am about to paint his arms for him and give them a ‘special’ treatment.

Peter Harling

Peter Harling
Total Posts:  87
Joined  19-11-2009

06 January 2012 15:12

Well! I guess if you are near enough to the bomb as Phill has been then your expression will be one of two things! Mine would be one of terror, I don’t mind telling you! Andy has caught the expression of defiance, and I’m sure that that is the expression of a man who like Phil has made the profession of dealing with bombs. Andy has caught the character of Phil in that expression. I admire the crest and most certainly the man who bears it!

Regards ...........  Peter

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

09 January 2012 19:17

Peter Harling;91516 wrote:

Well! I guess if you are near enough to the bomb as Phill has been then your expression will be one of two things! Mine would be one of terror, I don’t mind telling you! Andy has caught the expression of defiance, and I’m sure that that is the expression of a man who like Phil has made the profession of dealing with bombs. Andy has caught the character of Phil in that expression. I admire the crest and most certainly the man who bears it!

Regards ...........  Peter

Thank you Peter.