Counterchanging and how to blazon it

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

05 March 2012 14:11

A friend of mine has taken a shine to heraldry.  So far he doesn’t want to join up (he thinks it would be a good way to waste a LOT of time :D

The question is, if layering counterchanging can you use a single reference to refer to all elements (#1), or do you have to describe them individually (#2)?

#1. Per pale azure and vert, semy of billets, on a chevron two needles all counterchanged.

#2. Per pale azure and very, semy of billets counterchanged, on a chevron counterchanged two needles counterchanged.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 March 2012 15:11

Dale Challener Roe;92663 wrote:

##2. Per pale azure and very…

A very heraldic style of phrasing, I must say, "pale azure and very" ... so very pale azure it looks almost white! smile

Substituting "argent," I think your first option works fine.

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

05 March 2012 16:41

Joseph McMillan;92665 wrote:

A very heraldic style of phrasing, I must say, "pale azure and very" ... so very pale azure it looks almost white! smile

Substituting "argent," I think your first option works fine.

:banghead: OK….aside from the ludicrously careless mistake of mixing up two color names that start with a :facepalm:, and of not proofing well enough to spell "vert" correctly :facepalm::facepalm:....

Thank you for your answer.  #1 was what I thought it would be, but I wasn’t sure if a single mention of counterchanging could be applied to several "stacked" elements.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

05 March 2012 21:37

Could always look up the blazon to my arms, too.

Sincerely,

-Also-a-bad-speller

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

07 March 2012 12:46

Would it also work with "billety" rather than "semy of billets"?

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

07 March 2012 14:35

Dear Dale,

I think the blazon should also indicate the attitude of the needles upon the chevron:

‘Per pale azure and vert billety on a chevron two needles points outwards all counterchanged’

In this case as with most one mention of ‘counterchanging’ will suffice.

Just a thought.

With every good wish

John