Daughter’s new arms

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

02 June 2012 04:30

Thank you, Jared and Michael.

Next week is her birthday and her junior high promotion ceremony. One of her friends who lives down the street asked her if she was going to be home the first few days of vacation or spending some time at her grandmother’s. This girl loses her phone privileges frequently for getting poor grades, and complained that she probably wouldn’t be able to text for a while. Jordan told her to look for the banner ("... zig-zaggy with a little yellow flower."). If it was flying, she was home that week.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

02 June 2012 06:09

Identification .... what it’s all about. wink

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

05 June 2012 16:23

Joseph Staub;93750 wrote:

My concern there is that someone would imagine the rose goes at the top of the arms, above the stripe.

I can understand your concern, but given that the rose is a metal, I think any reasonable heraldist would put it where you have. Then again, reasonable heraldists are a dying breed.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

05 June 2012 19:36

I suspect Ms. Staub would quickly correct anyone silly enough to place "her rose" incorrectly.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

08 June 2012 14:24

Kenneth Mansfield;93836 wrote:

I can understand your concern, but given that the rose is a metal, I think any reasonable heraldist would put it where you have. Then again, reasonable heraldists are a dying breed.

May I respectfully disagree here. It seems that from time to time, medieval brisures were intendedly made of colour upon colour or (much less frequently AFAIK) of metal upon metal, to stress that they are additions, not the initial integral parts of the composition. This practice was more or less inherited by modern heraldry (let us recall the Angevine inescutcheon of the arms of Spain, for example). So, I would rather blazon the position of the rose.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

08 June 2012 18:44

Michael Y. Medvedev;93897 wrote:

May I respectfully disagree here. It seems that from time to time, medieval brisures were intendedly made of colour upon colour or (much less frequently AFAIK) of metal upon metal, to stress that they are additions, not the initial integral parts of the composition. This practice was more or less inherited by modern heraldry (let us recall the Angevine inescutcheon of the arms of Spain, for example). So, I would rather blazon the position of the rose.

A fair point, Michael. And one I had not considered.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

11 June 2012 15:56

Brevity of blazon is nice, but clarity is paramount.

(Dittos to the compliments above)

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

12 June 2012 10:49

Joseph Staub;93757 wrote:

No connection to Estonia, though I like their flag.

Probably for the same reason that I seem to like the tricolor flag shared by Extremadura (Spain) and Putumayo (Columbia)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/Flag_of_Extremadura.svg/200px-Flag_of_Extremadura.svg.png

As far as Estonia is concerned, I like the tricolor just fine, but I think that the proposed Nordic/Scandinavian Cross variants is better.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3646/nordicestonia.png

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 June 2012 11:42

steven harris;94011 wrote:

As far as Estonia is concerned, I like the tricolor just fine, but I think that the proposed Nordic/Scandinavian Cross variants is better.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3646/nordicestonia.png

Except that Estonia is neither Scandinavian nor Nordic.

sterios

sterios
Total Posts:  78
Joined  17-10-2010

12 June 2012 13:23

Joseph McMillan;94013 wrote:

....yes, but they belong to the Finnic people.

Nick B II

Nick B II
Total Posts:  203
Joined  26-11-2007

12 June 2012 14:41

The inherent weirdness of Estonia’s post-Russian position in Europe’s regions is proven by the fact it’s usually identified as a "Baltic" nation along with Latvia and Lithuania. In geographic terms "Baltic" should include the Russians, Germans, Poles, Danes, Swedes, and Finns as well. But nobody ever refers to the Swedes as most prosperous Baltic state.

Putting those exact three states in the same region with nobody else doesn’t make cultural sense. Estonian and Finnish are probably more closely related then the German dialects, but neither has any relationship to the Baltic languages of Latvia and Lithuania. As an economic region it makes sense, even if the name is silly. Politically it makes sense to some extent, but even then Finland should be in there.

What’s happened is pretty simple: the Russians don’t particularly want any post-Soviet states to leave their strategic sphere-of-interest, which means any regional designation that adds Finland to the Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania bloc either reduces Finland’s ability to defy Russia (by adding it to the Russian sphere) or forces the Russians to take stern action because it increases Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania’s ability to defy Russia.

All three Baltic states would probably jump at the chance to become officially Nordic, but the Russians have already tried to freeze Ukraine to death by cutting off natural gas supplies, and destroy the Lithuanian economy with internet hacks; so they don’t dare actually do it.

Nick

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

12 June 2012 15:01

Those pesky Russians wink

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

12 June 2012 15:27

Not too loudly, my friend, they might hear you…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonia#Estonia_as_a_Nordic_country

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

12 June 2012 17:17

I would be interested to learn how you would qualify that statement.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 June 2012 17:40

steven harris;94021 wrote:

Not too loudly, my friend, they might hear you…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonia#Estonia_as_a_Nordic_country

Ooooo….not only Wikipedia, but "Citation_needed."

But to give you another Wikipedia reference:  "The Nordic countries make up a region in Northern Europe and the North Atlantic which consists of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden and their associated territories."  These also happen to be the five members of the Nordic Council.

If speaking a Finno-Ugric language makes a country Nordic, then we’ll have to design a "Nordic"-style flag for Hungary as well.