Work in progress

David_T

David_T
Total Posts:  41
Joined  13-12-2012

17 December 2012 01:29

First, my thanks to Kenneth Mansfield for his advice and guidance in helping mold my original concept into something at least approaching accepted heraldic practice.

I have Photoshopped a rough sketch, seen in my avatar. The current blazon is:

Argent an American Brown Bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) passant reguardant proper, on a chief engrailed Azure seven novae Argent.

Motto: “In vis gnaritas libertas” meaning (intended) "In the strength of knowledge, freedom".

It has been several decades since I last studied Latin, and my grammar and conjugation are rusted well beyond any practical use. From reading through threads, I understand that there is at least one "Latin authority" present, and I would appreciate any applicable correction.

I have scrapped my original idea for a crest. I would like to find something symbolizing my Scottish, Irish and Welsh ancestry without being cookie-cutter cliche about it.

Any and all constructive criticism is welcomed.

harold cannon

harold cannon
Total Posts:  240
Joined  30-03-2011

17 December 2012 02:03
Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

17 December 2012 04:43

This is a nice design David. Is there a reason for the invected chief?

Building on the overall design, I’m wondering if a fir twigged chief http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Havukoro.svg and/or the bear gorged would add some chutzpa. I’m thinking here of a design or a portion of a design that could be repeated in the crest.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

17 December 2012 06:20

The first use of the term nova to describe a charge that I’m aware of occurs on my dad’s arms… a star of eight points with cardinal rays extended (in the same appearance as a compass rose of eight points). Is that how you also intend to use the term for your arms David?

David_T

David_T
Joined  13-12-2012

17 December 2012 09:25

Richard G.;96871 wrote:

This is a nice design David. Is there a reason for the invected chief?

Building on the overall design, I’m wondering if a fir twigged chief http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Havukoro.svg and/or the bear gorged would add some chutzpa. I’m thinking here of a design or a portion of a design that could be repeated in the crest.

Thank you, Richard.

Yes, the engrailled chief comes from, and is an element of, the ancient arms of my Clan MacTavish Chief’s arms. My Chief’s arms use it in the first and fourth quarters, with a crosslet fitchee between two mullets.

I rejected the original idea of a bear’s head erased for the crest, not wanting to repeat that element of the design.

Thank you again for your input.

David_T

David_T
Joined  13-12-2012

17 December 2012 09:30

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;96875 wrote:

The first use of the term nova to describe a charge that I’m aware of occurs on my dad’s arms… a star of eight points with cardinal rays extended (in the same appearance as a compass rose of eight points). Is that how you also intend to use the term for your arms David?

Yes, Jeffrey. The eight-pointed star has very special personal meanings to me. It may be from reading your blazon that I picked up the term for the charge. If I am out of line using the term, I can find another to indicate the same figure. I certainly mean no disrespect to you or your father.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

17 December 2012 09:43

David_T;96868 wrote:

an American Brown Bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) passant reguardant proper

I believe that Ursus arctos horribilis is most generally called a grizzly bear, rather than an "American Brown Bear".

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

17 December 2012 10:14

Harold,

You’ve got a chief invected confused for a chief engrailed.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

17 December 2012 10:32

I would simply blazon these as eight-pointed stars (or, for the pompously inclined, stars of eight points).

Nice design, but I’d urge you to call a bear a bear (and just a bear).  Heraldically, any temperate zone bear blazoned "proper" is going to look pretty much like any other.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

17 December 2012 10:53

“In Vis Gnaritas Libertas” – “In the strength of knowledge, freedom”

Grammatically, Vis would need to be in the ablative – which would give you “In Vi”.  Gnaritas would also need to be in the genitive – which would give you “Gnaritatis”.  All told: "In Vi Gnaritatis Libertas".

I will say that Gnaritas is an uncommon word for knowledge, not necessarily incorrect, just not commonly used.  Scientia is more-common and of classical origin, whereas Gnaritas is medieval Latin.

There is a whole batch of mottos formed by “Ex Scientia ______” or “Ex ______ Scientia”:

Ex Scientia Tridens

from knowledge, sea power

motto of the United States Naval Academy

Ex Luna Scientia

from the moon, knowledge

motto of the Apollo XIII moon mission

Ex Scientia Vera

from knowledge, truth

motto of Middle Tennessee State University, College of Graduate Studies

Ex Astris Scientia

from the stars, knowledge

motto of Starfleet Academy (from Star Trek)

Ex Vulgus Scientia

from crowd, knowledge

from James Surowiecki’s 2004 book “The Wisdom of Crowds”

there is also the related:

In Scientia Opportunitas

in knowledge, there is opportunity

motto of Edge Hill University

Using such a construct would give you “Ex Scientia Libertas” as “from knowledge, freedom”; or “In Scientia Libertas” as “in knowledge, there is freedom”.

In 1597, the English philosopher Sir Francis Bacon famously wrote “Ipsa Scientia Potentia Est” meaning “knowledge itself is power”.  You could paraphrase that as “Ipsa Scientia Libertas Est” as “knowledge itself is freedom” – or just “Scientia Libertas Est” as “knowledge is freedom.

harold cannon

harold cannon
Joined  30-03-2011

17 December 2012 10:54

Kenneth, I had thought that but I did my rendering based on the sketch that David had origionally in his avatar.

So I guess the question is, was the image of the blazon wrong or was I wrong? LOL

David_T

David_T
Joined  13-12-2012

17 December 2012 10:57

An idea for my creat…

On a wreath of the liveries, a Celtic knot argent between two branchlets of Eastern Red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) proper.

harold cannon

harold cannon
Joined  30-03-2011

17 December 2012 11:00

David,

I assume you want the chief portion of your arms like that of MacTavish. I will adjust the design this evening and send it to you.

David_T

David_T
Joined  13-12-2012

17 December 2012 11:01

harold cannon;96885 wrote:

Kenneth, I had thought that but I did my rendering based on the sketch that David had origionally in his avatar.

So I guess the question is, was the image of the blazon wrong?

My wording in the blazon and my sketch were both based on the table appearing on Page 3 of the AHS Heraldic Primer. To wit:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/uploads/Primer/3a.gif

Ahh..  Interesting. My Chief’s blazon in the Lyon Court Matriculation reads engrailed, but shows points down and rounds up (invected, according to the AHS table) in the depiction in the same document. Confusing. I will bring this to his attention.

Back to the fridge for mine until I can determine which is correct for a MacTavish reference.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

17 December 2012 11:03

harold cannon;96885 wrote:

So I guess the question is, was the image of the blazon wrong?

The image is wrong. If that were a field divided per fess it would be correct. But the "engrailing" is of the chief, so the sharp points need to be going away from it.

See the arms of David’s clan chief:

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/m/images/Image148.jpg
</div>

harold cannon

harold cannon
Joined  30-03-2011

17 December 2012 11:15

Got it!

I will fix it this evening.