Help with blazon?

harold cannon

harold cannon
Total Posts:  240
Joined  30-03-2011

13 March 2013 00:08

I have been working on these for a friend as a gift and I am horrible at doing the blazon. Can someone help me out?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8552890515_35b057e3ff_b.jpg

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

13 March 2013 01:46

Assuming that it is a light black

Argent a boar rampant Sable armed, langed and unguled Gules collared Azure edged and chained Or the chain reflexed over its back on a chief Azure three buckles Or

Crest: A boar’s head couped close Sable armed and langued Gules grasping in its mouth a thistle, thereon a bee Proper.

Comments: The spine of hair on the back of a boar is often in a different tincture from the body in which case it is also crined of that tincture. I have never seen eye colour specified. Personally I’d make the collar all Or for better contrast and easier blazon. If it is vitally important that the buckles be oval then that could be added.

How exactly is the head in the crest meant to be? I would say that as depicted it is not really ragged enough to be properly termed Erased but too ragged to be properly Couped. I’ve added "close" to the description since you appear to want it in Scottish fashion, which is not default everywhere.

Unless being blazoned separately you could get away with "A boar’s head as in the arms…"

NB: From my perspective these arms say desperately trying not to be Fergusson.

James

harold cannon

harold cannon
Total Posts:  240
Joined  30-03-2011

13 March 2013 15:06

Much of this is based off of the Furguson arms. The person I have been helping is a member of that clan. He wanted to inluded many of the elements and he was happy with this rendering.