Just thinking about a badge design

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

14 June 2013 18:24

I’ve been kicking around the idea of devising a badge really for no other reason than I enjoy doing this stuff.  A while back I had devised a badge that was blazoned "On an Oval fesswise Sable, environed of a torse Sanguine and Or, a Wolf Courant Regardant Or" but that didn’t seem all that creative.

Today it occured to me that I would like to represent the charges on my arms but not necessarily repeat them.  To that end I have come up with this design which is blazoned (hopefully correctly): Pendant from a Hamecon de Loup Sable, a Hawk’s Lure per Pale Sanguine and Or.

The Hamecon de Loup also known as a Wolfsangel or crampon was a device used to hunt/kill wolves.  I avoided the imagery more closely associated with a Wolfsangel simply because of the negative connotations associated with that.  The hawk’s lure is what it is. What does everyone think?  Do you have any better suggestions?

http://www.thesupertribe.com/images/Badge.png

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

14 June 2013 19:12

Not sure why they’d be combined.  Why not just the hawk’s lure per pale?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

15 June 2013 00:01

I’m not sure why you’d want an object in your badge that represents the killing of the thing you put on your arms to represent one of your aspirations. Given that the lure is used in (positive reinforcement) training a hawk, maybe better to pair it with a clicker. smile

Or, as I think Joe is suggesting, as a stand-alone item.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

15 June 2013 01:03

Joseph McMillan;99372 wrote:

Not sure why they’d be combined.  Why not just the hawk’s lure per pale?

The simple answer is that I found the combination esthetically pleasing.  Plus the sable and per pale combination also mimics my shield tinctures.  Really, there is no reason they have to go together at all.

Kenneth Mansfield;99373 wrote:

I’m not sure why you’d want an object in your badge that represents the killing of the thing you put on your arms to represent one of your aspirations. Given that the lure is used in (positive reinforcement) training a hawk, maybe better to pair it with a clicker. smile

Or, as I think Joe is suggesting, as a stand-alone item.

I chose the Hamecon de Loup for lack of a better wolf representation.  I’m not crazy about it again because of the negative connotation that comes with it.  I’ll keep looking into other charges.  I’m not opposed to the hawk’s lure alone but I am still in the concept stage and fully open to any and all suggestions.  Thanks for your input thus far gentlemen.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

15 June 2013 01:37

I don’t see any reason why the traditionally illustrated lure can’t be black on the top, connecting part, which would give you the exact division of your arms.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

15 June 2013 01:41

You could suspend the hawks lure from anything black if you want to keep the allusion to the field of your arms.  It would of course be nice if there is a wolfish allusion, but as noted by others above not something designed to kill off your main charge!

Or maybe just the lure, with the upper part (the knot?—there must be a name for it) black & the lower parts parted as as is.  Maybe "a lure per fess, in chief sable and in base per pale Sanguine and Or" though there’s likely a more felicitous way to blazon it.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

15 June 2013 02:15

Hmmm, perhaps simply replacing the hamecon de loup with a crescent. The crescent moon being the allusion to the wolf.  Then I’d just need a reasonable way to mate it to the hawk’s lure.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

15 June 2013 02:23

Interesting.  Since the lure could include a cord, that could be looped (bad pun for "loup") over the lower end of an increscent or depressant, perhaps oriented in bend sinister like the actual increscent moon in tonight’s sky?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

15 June 2013 10:16

The allusion to the wolf with a crescent is a much better solution and I like Mike’s ideas of both angling it and hanging the lure from it. While I appreciate the symmetry of having a plain crescent above a perfectly straight lure, I can imagine some beautiful artwork displaying the other.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

18 June 2013 01:41

Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts.  I’ve had a bit of time to draw up a few more concepts based somewhat on your comments to include simply replacing the hamecon de loup with a crescent and adding a cord to the hawk’s lure, a different arrangement of crescent and lure, and simply the lure on it’s own.

When you have some time, I would greatly appreciate your input on these as well. While I’m not 100% sure about blazoning of these examples, I did have an idea on the blazon the different parts of the lure itself as something to the effect of "a hawk’s lure corded and capped [x tincture] and feathered [y tincture].

http://www.thesupertribe.com/images/BadgeVersions.png

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

02 July 2013 18:15

Nowed about and pendant from a reversed crescent Sable, a Hawk’s Lure padded and lined Or, winged Sanguine.

After doing a little bit of research into Falconry, I’ve discovered that the proper name for the parts of the lure are the line, pad, and wings.  In the middle ages, the line was usually just a simple braided cord, the pad was made of leather with an embroidered velvet cover, and the "wings" were generally real bird wings.

I’m currently leaning towards something akin to the blazons "Nowed about and pendant from a reversed crescent Sable, a Hawk’s Lure padded and lined Or, winged Sanguine" and "A Hawk’s Lure palewise, line nowed above and padded Sable, winged per pale Sanguine and Or".  I haven’t had a chance to draw either of these up to see what they might look like but they aren’t all that different from what I have shown above.

I’m leaning towards nowing the line as I’m not particularly fond of just having the line loose about the lure.  To me it just feels untidy displayed that way.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

01 August 2013 18:30

emblazonments of the ideas I had in my last post.  I like the padding but the wings feel a little scrawny to me.  Didn’t feel like redrawing all new wings just for consideration though.

Nowed about and pendant from a Crescent inverted sable, a Hawk’s Lure padded and lined Or, winged Sanguine

http://imageshack.us/a/img191/2237/96tz.th.jpg

A Hawk’s Lure palewise, line nowed above and padded Sable, winged per pale Sanguine and Or

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/3553/17hn.th.jpg

Not 100% sure on the blazons either.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

01 August 2013 18:34

I really like the second of these two.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

02 August 2013 08:04

I prefer how the second badge mirrors the "per pale Sang and Or a chief Sab" of your arms.

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

02 August 2013 08:27

steven harris;100055 wrote:

I prefer how the second badge mirrors the "per pale Sang and Or a chief Sab" of your arms.

Ditto!  smile

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

02 August 2013 16:11

motx72;100056 wrote:

Ditto!  smile

Another vote