Idea for a New Crest?

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

07 July 2015 02:41

Hello everyone

My arms, which I assumed way back in 2007 with the help of this forum, are per pale, vert and argent, three crescents (arranged one and two) counterchanged.

I never really adopted a truly distinctive crest, and the one that I used was a panache of three ostrich feathers, vert, argent, and vert.

I was thinking of choosing a tower or with a swallow-tailed flag vert flying over it. The tower (in my imagination representing a desert fortress) represents my interest in military history and my favorite place, the Citadel of Cairo. The flag flying above represents my interest in vexillology (which led me to heraldry). I was thinking of making it swallow-tailed, because a) that is my favorite shape of flag, and b) so that it isn’t mistaken for the Qadaffi-era Libyan flag.

http://i.imgur.com/lk7azf6.png

I couldn’t really figure out how to "stand" it on the torse. It’s a rough sketch.

And here’s another sketch of what it would look like with my arms.

http://i.imgur.com/lXc2exj.png

What do you think?

Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn
Total Posts:  229
Joined  15-06-2005

07 July 2015 08:37

A nice idea for a crest, combining your interests like that.
MohamedHossam;104505 wrote:

I couldn’t really figure out how to "stand" it on the torse. It’s a rough sketch.

A crest is supposed to stand on the helmet, with the torse encircling it and hiding the bits and pieces which hold the crest in place.  In this case, the tower would appear to arise from within the torse, rather than rest upon it.  The curved lower edge of the tower would be hidden.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

07 July 2015 16:03

Ditto Arthur.

You might consider having the pennon parted per fess green & white or vice-versa (just suggestion)

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

07 July 2015 16:50

Michael,

That’s a good idea, and I thought of it, but I always see striped pennons like that as military lance pennons.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

07 July 2015 22:27

Fair enough.

Would a white tower adequately allude to a desert fortress generally, or the Citadel of Cairo?

Again, just a suggestion, in this case to retain the two-color palette of the arms; but only if it meets your desired symbolism and looks right to you.

(As an aside, I’ve always liked your arms - clean, simple, nice allusion to family history, and easy to recognize in small scale or at a distance (the postage stamp and flag-at-a-distance tests).

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

07 July 2015 23:43

I picked Or because I imagined my coat of arms painted with gold leaf or as a metal and enamel badge or painted on a china dinner service, so it needs to have some gold in it to give it a bit of regalness lol :D

Thanks a lot! I used to think they were too simple and once thought of giving it a Victorian-style landscape heraldry makeover with a desert scene Proper haha

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

10 July 2015 10:31

Hi All,

I hate to be a party-pooper, but assistance with design on personal arms is a benefit for members only. Mohamed, I would encourage you to consider membership in AHS so we can continue this lively discussion!

Cheers,

Jeremy