Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

09 November 2006 13:41
Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

09 November 2006 14:11

All of these you posted today were great until this one… sigh… oh well.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

09 November 2006 15:44

I don’t know that it ‘s that bad.  Argent chapé Sable, in base three flames Gules.  I’m going to assume charitably that the faded rose color is supposed to be red—Holy Spirit and all that.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

09 November 2006 18:57

Joseph McMillan wrote:

I don’t know that it ‘s that bad.  Argent chapé Sable, in base three flames Gules.  I’m going to assume charitably that the faded rose color is supposed to be red—Holy Spirit and all that.

http://www.ohiodominican.edu/about/history/logo.asp

I think you’ll need to muster more charity, since they use metal on metal.

Quote:

The Ohio Dominican University logo consists of the name of the University and the date it was founded, around an escutcheon, or shield. At the center of the shield is a flame. The colors of Ohio Dominican are white, black and gold, which are the colors of the Dominican Order and the Papacy. The black and white colors signify the University’s tie to the 800-year-old tradition of the Order of Preachers, whose members are known for their commitment to the life of study and service through excellence in preaching and teaching the Word. The inclusion of the papal gold signifies the University’s service to the Church.

The shield is two-thirds black and one-third white, which suggests the habit of the Dominicans. The habit is white and the cappa, or cloak, is black. The flame, superimposed upon a field of white, carries several meanings. Just as light enables sight, liberal education enables insight and human development. As an institution of higher education, the University offers to all sincere seekers of the Truth the chance to do so through the liberating education it offers.

A legend about St. Dominic tells that before he was born, his mother had a dream in which she saw a dog carrying in its mouth a flaming torch, the torch of Truth, that his Order would eventually carry into the world. The flame also symbolizes the fire of the Holy Spirit,  Who gives wisdom, understanding, good counsel, courage, knowledge, piety and fear of the Lord. The hope of Ohio Dominican is that this fire will burn in the hearts of all of its students so that they, using their gifts, might engage in the renewal of the world.

The Ohio Dominican University logo was created to give our University a consistent and clear symbol to various audiences. The use of this logo on a consistent basis without distortion of shape, or replacement of typeface or colors builds a strong sense of identity among alumni, students, faculty and staff, the public and other academic institutions.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

09 November 2006 20:17

Even with the apparent technical tincture violation, IMO these are really nice, simple, uncluttered & clean arms!  One could blazon the flames "proper" and allow for some shade of gold as artistic license, but why bother?  Tincture "rule" is a useful "best practice" in most cases but in this case - IMO anyway - the design "works."

But then that’s a personal reaction, others may differ.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

09 November 2006 21:36

If the allusion is to the papal colors, then tincture violation be damned; blazon the flames "Or."  Rules are made to be bent.

I’m sure that the Dominicans, who basically invented scholastic theology(Albertus Magnus, Thomas Aquinas, and all those guys), can come up with a watertight logical rationalization of the apparent violation, if an appeal to the authority of Archbishop Heim is not sufficient.