University of Michigan

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

14 November 2006 10:57

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/pharmsciscientists/files/um_seal_-_color_wowhiteboarder_.gif

Azure, an antique oil lamp enflamed Or resting on the cover of a closed book Argent.

Motto: Artes, Scientia, Veritas (Latin, "Arts, science, truth")

Does the closed book indicate that they give closed book exams or that study time is over?:eek:

Here is a link to the history of the seal: http://bentley.umich.edu/bhl/seals/sealtp.htm

The rising sun back of the shield was taken from the coat of arms of the State of Michigan.  Would this be a supporter?

Stuart

Stuart
Total Posts:  230
Joined  01-12-2005

14 November 2006 13:39

Hail to the Victors! My whole family went to U of M except for me, a lowly Commodore. (Vanderbilt) Since it is fully behind the shield it could be viewed as a supporter of sorts.

My father is always going on about the fact that the University was founded before Michigan was admitted to statehood, so the sun might be one of the few things that the University adopted from the state.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

14 November 2006 13:43

Stuart wrote:

Hail to the Victors! My whole family went to U of M except for me, a lowly Commodore. (Vanderbilt) Since it is fully behind the shield it could be viewed as a supporter of sorts.

My father is always going on about the fact that the University was founded before Michigan was admitted to statehood, so the sun might be one of the few things that the University adopted from the state.

It is a small world.  My father graduated from UMich Dental, my mom from UMich Nursing, and I from Vandy Graduate School.  My father was always going on about how cold it was.

Stuart

Stuart
Total Posts:  230
Joined  01-12-2005

14 November 2006 14:02

WARNING:  >NON HERALDIC CHATTER<

My wife and I, and my Wolverine parents, went to the Michigan Vandy game in September , the first between the two since ‘67 or ‘69 or something. At least Vandy scored one touchdown. There were above us in the stands a huge family, all wearing collegiate sweatshirts reading either "Vandergan" or "Michibilt." A seamstress had cut many in half and sewn them with the other team’s jersey creating these dimidiated shirts! (There, there’s a heraldic term at least) So, apparently, there is a Michigan Vanderbilt connection!

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

14 November 2006 22:21

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BUCKS!!!!

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

14 November 2006 22:22

What terrible hera;dry, would be a lot better scarlet and grey 8)

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

16 November 2006 11:20

Back on topic, if that’s possible—UM also uses a logo closely linked to the actual arms—IMO worth an "honorable mention"

(My favorite memory of UM was the Rose Bowl in 1966 or 67, when a heavily favored Michegan team was humbled by the Bruins of UCLA.  Or maybe it was Michegan State—I was so hung over I could barely focus on the field…)