Slightly Altered Emblazonment

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 November 2006 14:18

I just finished up a slightly different version of one of the emblazonments already on my members arms page, this one with my two (fairly modest) personal decorations hanging below the shield.  To dexter (with the yellow ribbon) is the Secretary of Defense Medal for Meritorious Civilian Service, with bronze palm for second award (the first award, from Secretary Cheney, was for service as desk officer for Saudi Arabia in the SecDef staff during Desert Storm, the second from Secretary Cohen for service as principal director of the Near East-South Asia region from 1998-2001.  To sinister (white ribbon) is the SecDef Medal for Exceptional Civilian Service, awarded by Secretary Perry for my stint as Russia Desk Officer (1995-96) and Director of Slavic States Affairs (1996-97).

Just showing off a little—not for addition to the permanent display.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/McMillan2-medals.jpg

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

12 November 2006 15:10

At the risk of sounding like a flatterer, I respectfully disagree with your desription of your decorations as "modest."  YOU are modest; your decorations are not. Diplomatic service, esspecially exemplary service, regarding Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War, and regarding the Slavic states after the break-up of the Soviet Union, carries a lot of weight with me.  I’m willing to bet that many members would agree.

I’m a citizen. Your decorations represent excellent service, in part, to me. (That’s our eagle on those medals, TKTHR.)  With great respect and gratitude I say wear’em on everything except your swim trunks and your pajamas, if you like. smile  They look good.

Joseph

J Duncan of Sketraw

J Duncan of Sketraw
Total Posts:  271
Joined  15-01-2006

12 November 2006 15:10

I think it makes your arms more personal and why should you not be proud of them. I think they should be displayed with your arms more often.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

12 November 2006 15:49

GONGMONGER! :p

Just kidding. I think the decorations complement your arms nicely. If used sparingly, I think that gongs, ribbons, and the like can really make an achievement of arms just that—a display of your achievements "at arms".
Joseph McMillan wrote:

Just showing off a little—not for addition to the permanent display.

I don’t know, it might look very nice in a frame on your wall or over the fireplace.

Take care,

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

12 November 2006 15:56

Joseph Staub wrote:

At the risk of sounding like a flatterer, I respectfully disagree with your desription of your decorations as "modest."  YOU are modest; your decorations are not. Diplomatic service, esspecially exemplary service, regarding Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War, and regarding the Slavic states after the break-up of the Soviet Union, carries a lot of weight with me.  I’m willing to bet that many members would agree.

I’m a citizen. Your decorations represent excellent service, in part, to me. (That’s our eagle on those medals, TKTHR.)  With great respect and gratitude I say wear’em on everything except your swim trunks and your pajamas, if you like. smile  They look good.

Joseph

Agreed. Both awards are for your very distinguished work. I appreciate your modesty, but would like to see them in your arms. It is an honor you deserve.

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Total Posts:  208
Joined  12-05-2006

13 November 2006 10:31

Joe:

To me, these are great examples of how personal decorations can be effectively and tastefully used in American arms.  It’s also a nice coincidence that the colors are complimentary.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

13 November 2006 12:30

Joe,

I think you’ve done an excellent job emblazoning your federal decorations.

—Guy

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

14 November 2006 15:56

Dittos all around.  Since American families often don’t bother with cadency, this identifies you from among the assorted siblings & cousins who might bear the same arms (assuming that you assumed them with that assumption as to coverage).

Hall/Perdue

Hall/Perdue
Total Posts:  179
Joined  16-12-2006

10 January 2007 18:23

[PHP]Just showing off a little—not for addition to the permanent display.[/PHP]

Oh My Why Not???

This is a wonderful example of American Heraldry.  Most of the time those medals get stuffed in someone’s closet or desk never to be heard from again.  Then when the family digs them out and doesn’t know what they are, they get sold in an antique store.  What a wonderful way to pass along to future generations the contributions you made to our country.

I don’t know much about military ettiquette, but if it is kosher with military people, by all means display them with your coat of arms.

Chapulin

Chapulin
Total Posts:  480
Joined  19-08-2005

10 January 2007 18:38

Looks great, at least your medals match your arms better then mine, but I guess we cant always pick our medals:)