Royal Air Force heraldry

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

10 February 2007 13:36

Most RAF units carries a Badge but a few have also been granted full armorial achievements. These I to present here.

I begin with a utfit that are not strictly a RAF unit but I include it for its conection to the service.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6169/skanna0049oo3.jpg

CoA of the RAF Museum.

Blazon: Azure a Astral crown Or a chief embattled of the second. As for a crest: upon a wreath of the colours an RAF roundel encircled by a laurel wreath all proper issuant fram an Astral crown or.

http://www.rafweb.org/Command_Groups/StaffColl.jpg

CoA of the RAF Staff College which on 1 januari 1997 was incorporated into the Joint Services Command and Staff College. The grant made 2 January 1970 mentions that the helmet should be a RAF pilot’s helmet proper, probably the only heraldic use of this type of helmet. The three pallets sabel is from the arms of Marshal of the RAF Viscount Trenchard’s arms. The Cross is fromthe arms of Air Chief Marshal Sir Robert Brooke-Popham the first commandat of the Staff College. The Stars is the constellation Aquilla (Eagle) representing flying. The crest is the Hawk of Horus the Egyptian God of the Sky.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

10 February 2007 20:01

OK…I guess I’m going to be a jerk here…but…while I like the art over all especially with the first image the pilot’s helmet is…just…too dang weird for me…here is a case where tradition really, really pays off IMHO.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

11 February 2007 05:04

Yes the pilot’s helmet is a bit too modern. Some new arms with more traditional helmets.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4221/skanna0047rl8.jpg

CoA granted 9 December 1931 by the College of Arms to the Central Flying School.

Blazon: Sable on a fess wavy argent between in chief two wings conjoined and inverted Or and in base an anchor of the third and a sword proper pommel hilt gold in saltire two bars wavy azure. As for a crest, on a wreath if the colours upon the battlements of a tower proper a pelican gules rising from her nest gorded with a Naval crown Or.

The wings, anchor and sword represtent the three armed services who have been trained at the school. The wavy fess stands for the River Avon close to where the school was formed in 1912. The pelican symbolises the school relenishing itself through its trainees. The naval crown symbolises the Navy personel trained and the tower the Army.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/3267/skanna0048dw5.jpg

CoA of the Empire Test Pilots School, granted by the College of Arms 7 September 1949.

Blazon Azure semee of mullets Or, on a pale argent a torch enflamed proper.

Crest: issuant from a astral crown Or an eagle wings elevated and addorsed azure.

The field semee of mullets symbolises the sky and the torch learning.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

11 February 2007 18:19

I think the pilot’s helmet to me is jarring because of the mantling.. i mean if you’re going to do modern, do modern, if you’re going to go traditional, go traditional, but that juxtaposition is especially awkward

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

11 February 2007 19:17

Well to be honest, what modern type mantling would go with such a helmet? Perhaps a leather pilot’s jacket torn to shreds? wink

Cheers,

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

12 February 2007 00:30

Quote:

Well to be honest, what modern type mantling would go with such a helmet? Perhaps a leather pilot’s jacket torn to shreds?

LOL Mohamed! I can see this happening…somewhere…someone will try it…LOL. Oh man…too much…

Colin, I think that you have a good point there.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

12 February 2007 01:48

MohamedHossam wrote:

Well to be honest, what modern type mantling would go with such a helmet? Perhaps a leather pilot’s jacket torn to shreds? wink

Cheers,

No you would have a pilots jacket around the shield, like an emporer mantling, and the pilot’s helm on top