Haitian College of Arms

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

13 February 2007 04:53

Everyone knows that Brazil and Mexico were at one time or another Empires, but not many people know or maybe not many people care that Haiti was twice and Empire and once a Kingdom.

In fact there was a massive ‘native’ class of nobles, King Henri I (1811-1820) created 4 Princes, 8 Dukes, 22 Counts, 37 Barons and 14 Knights.  He also founded a College of Arms to keep track of everyone’s arms.  These records can be found in part on THIS lovely site:

http://pages.infinit.net/cerame/heraldicamerica/etudes/haiti01.htm

Emperor Faustin I (1849-1859) created 4 Princes, a whopping 59 Dukes, 2 Marquis, 99 Counts and a stunning 215 Barons.

In any event, I thought someone more fluent in French than I am would be interested in this website.

Incidentally, here is the blazon of King Henri I:

HENRY CHRISTOPHE 1er, roi d’Haïti.

Sur un écu sommé de la couronne royale et entouré du collier de l’ordre royal et militaire de St-Henri : d’azur semé d’étoiles d’or au phénix du même sommé d’une couronne royale, entouré d’un listel d’argent avec la devise «Je renais de mes cendres».

Supports : deux lions d’hermine armés, lampassés et couronnés d’or.

Devise sur un listel d’or sous l’écu «Dieu, ma Cause et mon Épée»

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

13 February 2007 05:08

There already is a short thread regarding Haitian heraldry though it does not mention the site that you posted above. The link is: http://www.heraldrysociety.us/forums/showthread.php?t=2336

I had opportunity to speak with an educated Haitian gentleman familiar with history and the monarchies of long ago. I asked for instance if there still was Comte de Limonade and a Duc de Marmalade living in present day Haiti. He said that they did still live in Haiti and that most of the old titled families lived in the northern part of the country. I found this to be most interesting.

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

13 February 2007 05:22

Another interesting and excellent site on the Haitian monarchies:

http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Haiti/haiti.htm

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

13 February 2007 06:41

Dear Mark,

You might very well be interested that The College of Arms in London is the throes of publishing the ‘The Armorial of Haiti’.  The original manuscript of which is kept at The College of Arms.  Although my wife who was once the Assistant Librarian at the College tells me that there is another copy in France.

When working at the College myself as a research assistant I do remember handling the College’s original.

If you go to the College’s website, click on ‘What’s New’ you will find a notice about the publication of the ‘Armorial’ with a downloadable brochure. Ignore the dates for publication as the College is somewhat behind with its publication.

Yours aye,

John