Purely Egyptian Charges

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

21 February 2007 19:13

Hassan, the arms supported by Gods of the Nile were shown in the painting of Khedive Ismail Pasha, that you shared previously.

David, very interesting stamp. Thanks for sharing.

Hassan, when I was in Egypt, I saw on a wrapping paper for yeast (many old and reputable companies in Egypt to this day use their pre-revolutionary logos, advertisemnts, and packages) that featured a medal that the company had earned (this is simlar to the gold medals sometimes depicted on olive oil, or wine bottles if anyone notcies) that featured the Royal Arms (azure, a crescent and 3 stars argent) on a French-type European shield (the kind that is pointed at the bottom), crowned with the royal crown, and "supported" by two Sphinx(es). They were in a "laying" down position, i.e like the actual Sphinx at Giza.

You know, sphinxes in their various forms would make absolutely splendid crests….

Regards,

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

21 February 2007 19:32

Kelisli wrote:

as Crown Prince, with his daughter, Princess Hadice Hayriye Ayshe Durrusehvar Sultan

She doesn’t look very happy at having her picture taken… :wookie:

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

21 February 2007 19:35

The crocodile could also be used either as a charge or a crest as it is here in the coat-of-arms of Jamaica

http://www.jamaicanpride.com/images/coatofarms.gif

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

22 February 2007 09:48

MohamedHossam wrote:

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/bc6f9f6a1c.gif

Azure, seme of Ankhs Or. (Ankhey?) I have a feeling that if my Egyptian heraldry becomes popular, this charge will be used ad nauseum.

A charge of this form has already been used, but it is usually, though I think not always (sometimes it is called an ankh), called a "cross ansated".  That said, I still think people will identify it as Egyptian.

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

22 February 2007 10:43

Daniel C. Boyer wrote:

A charge of this form has already been used, but it is usually, though I think not always (sometimes it is called an ankh), called a "cross ansated".  That said, I still think people will identify it as Egyptian.

Yes, and also known as the crux ansata.  Sometimes called "the sandal strap of Isis," though not in a blazon.

/Charles