Heraldry of the Chehabi Emirs of Lebanon

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

03 March 2007 21:41

Hey everyone!

I found the website of this you can say, Genealogical association of the Chehabi Emirs, being the descendants of a noble family that ruled in Lebanon during the 19th century. I found there logo of interest:

http://www.chehabemirs.com/images/Logo.gif

The ribbon at top says Lebanon, and the one on the bottom says "Society/Association of the Chehabi Emirs".

The Chehab’s were succesorts to the Druze Maan Family, of which in 1608 Fakhr-el-Din II, called the Great, forged an alliance with Tuscany.

Here are some flags used by the Chehabis:

http://flagspot.net/images/l/lb_shihb.gif
Quote:

According to Nehmé 1995, "Shehabian Flag: Consisted of a blue cloth with a white crescent."

Santiago Dotor, 26 September 2000

Usually spelt Shihab or Chehab. The Chehab dinasty webpage in the Almanach de Bruxelles says:

Originally a religious sect of Islam, the Druzes were assigned by the Atabeg of Damas[cus] most of Lebanon in 1119. The rulers belonged to the Maanid dynasty replaced in 1697 by the related Sunni Chehab Emirs who lost their sovereign power in 1842.

This would date the Shihab or Shehabian flag ca. 1697-1842 and the Maanid or Maaniïte flags ca. 1119-1967.

Santiago Dotor, 8 May 2003

**From FOTW**

Regards,

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

03 March 2007 23:57

Despite late 18th century ruler, Emir Bashir Chehab II and his successors being Maronite Catholics (and fromerly Sunnis), the shield of the family society looks surprisingly Persian in style. Any thoughts on this?

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

04 March 2007 00:21

Perhaps in emulation of the Qajar family association?? I really have no idea, I am just very intrigued by the choice of a heraldic emblem.

Perhaps anyone else has any idea? Arman, Hassan??