Heraldic ghost?

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

12 May 2007 15:03

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are any examples of heraldic ghosts? I’m just curious.

My wife’s brother is about to graduate college with a BA in Music Education and I thought that I might present him with a registration certificate from the USHR with his arms as a graduation present. He and I have discussed devising his arms previously and this is what we have come up with:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Schaefer2.jpg

Arms: Argent, a base chequey Azure and Argent surmounted by a lamb passant Sable supporting a cross proper over it’s dexter shoulder with it’s dexter foregamb ensigned with a flag Argent bearing a cross clechée Gules voided.

Crest: A ghost holding two flaming drumsticks proper, one in each hand.

Motto: Der Lord ist mein Schaefer

He’s a percussionist, hence the “flaming drumsticks”. His nickname is “Casper” because he looks like he’s lived in a cave his entire life, and for a while he was the only caucasian member of the Lindenwood University chapter of the music fraternity ΦΜΑ. He runs a small company that makes custom drum bags and his business’ logo is a ghost with three congas as seen embroidered on his jacket here:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/IMG_0473.jpg

His last name is Schaefer, hence the sheep and motto. He’s always done his own thing and is kind of the “black sheep” of the family. He also has a “favorite cross”—a cross clechée Gules voided Argent. He’s always had a fascination with checkerboard patterns and his favorite color is blue, thus the base.

That should just about cover all of the symbolism in his arms. Comments?

Take care,

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

12 May 2007 15:06

The direction of the design is not only spooky but in bad taste. Try to save the perspective armiger from himself. If he wants a Casper reference, make it one of the three wise men of the east.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

12 May 2007 15:07

An interesting design.  However, some may take umbridge to a black Agnus Dei, since Christ is presented to be the pure and spotless lamb.  Perhaps a more "standard" black sheep could be used and a cross incorporated elsewhere on the shield?  Just trying to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings.

DominikS

DominikS
Total Posts:  21
Joined  09-05-2007

12 May 2007 15:37

As for the motto: if you want it to be completely in German instead of an English-German mixture, "Lord" should be translated into "Herr". Then again, the usual term used in Christian quotes in German is not "Schaefer", but "Hirte" - meaning the same, but one not being used.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

12 May 2007 15:43

Spooky? Bad taste? Oh my, this is not what was intended at all…:sad:

WBHenry wrote:

Just trying to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings.

Understood. What if I reversed the tinctures? Like:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Schaefer3.jpg

No offense was intended towards anyone, however he did want the Agnus Dei symbology to represent Christ, "the Good Shepherd". What do you think of the Sable field? Or perhaps an Azure field with Sable and Argent base?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Schaefer4.jpg

Take care,

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

12 May 2007 15:49

DominikS wrote:

As for the motto: if you want it to be completely in German instead of an English-German mixture, "Lord" should be translated into "Herr". Then again, the usual term used in Christian quotes in German is not "Schaefer", but "Hirte" - meaning the same, but one not being used.

Thank you, Dom. :D And welcome to the AHS!

Take care,

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

12 May 2007 16:13

Phil,

I like the last one best.

I don’t think the ghost is a problem.  Afterall there is a long tradition of supernatural and mythical creatures and beings being used in heraldry.

DominikS

DominikS
Total Posts:  21
Joined  09-05-2007

12 May 2007 16:21

PBlanton;44819 wrote:

Thank you, Dom. wink

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

12 May 2007 16:29

DominikS wrote:

I hope that explains the difference. If not, let me know :wink:

Dom, that explains it very well. Thanks! :D

Take care,

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

12 May 2007 23:21

hi phil i like the sable field with argent Agnus Dei. i think this not only is in better taste i think it simply looks better. the black and blue go very well together and the white is an excellent balance between the two. i would, however, make the staff argent as well. so i think #2 has more artistic merit for my tastes only mind you and certainly wont give the wrong impression on the Agnus Dei. all of course in my very humble opinion.

if of course he wanted to stick with the black sheep theme you could do that one but make it a simple, plain sheep that is sable and place the cross in chief either in two or three (id go with 2).

as for the crest…difficult to say. while i admit it is rather odd to have a ghost as a element of one’s achievement, why not? the heraldic panther is no more real than a ghost and so just as strange in its appearance as a ghost could, or likely would, be. in truth the ghost theme would be both very unique (i’ve not seen another one anywhere anyway) and very, very personal to the armiger.

i will note, however, as a cartoonist who works in traditional modes of cartooning as well as anime that whoever renders this ghost should you decide to go with it should make very certain that it is not depicted in the remotest manner as the real Casper is, for there is a very real license issue there and a copyright violation would surely be seen. further compounded by his nick-name. with cartooning and anime getting so legal now (thank you Disney Corp.) i would strongly<b></b> urge you to make sure the ghost does not resemble Casper at all…these corporate types are very, very particular about their cartoons being lifted out of license by anyone…just a word of warning from a cartoonist. smile