Evolution

JOSE CARRION RANGEL

JOSE CARRION RANGEL
Total Posts:  90
Joined  02-06-2006

18 October 2007 05:20

What a fantastic post, Father;

But the "logical" end of that evolution would be: Put the field of gold (that represent the sky) in the superior position, and the pine forest in the lower position;(it´s a joke)

Somethig like this:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_gTQCiRKlM-U/RwKZAhzsm4I/AAAAAAAAAIw/I8UA-mnCUTk/s400/Selvester8.JPG

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

18 October 2007 17:00

Reminds me of the story about Constantine winning after he had a vision of the cross in the sky.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

19 October 2007 10:20

DJensen;47485 wrote:

I always understood "Lucky Charms" to be a slightly derogatory term meaning a variety of shapes and/or colors thrown together that those of us who don’t have an extensive background in heraldry tend to put together in our first attempts at creating arms.

The allusion seems to be to pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, green clovers, blue diamonds, purple horseshoes and red balloons (yes, I had to look all those up) from the Lucky Charms cereal dumped from a box onto a shield in an effort to create what a "pictorial C.V.".

And the cereal has gotten worse over the years with the introduction of more and more shapes (and the introduction of special shapes for a limited time).

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

19 October 2007 19:45

Jose, you forgot to change the motto to read "Forgive Me Lord"...

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

19 October 2007 20:54

Fr. Guy—a most interesting, informative and—if I may use the word for a worldly pursuit smile—inspirational account.

If you don’t mind a question - do you consider your arms as pertaining only to you, or to your extended armorial family (siblings, nephews, cousins etc.)?  And if the latter, have any of the potential heirs-portioners actually taken up these arms, with suitable changes in the additaments, for their own use?  And if so, have they differenced or cadenced the basic arms or kept them as is?

I’ve noticed that some of the many clerical arms you & others have shared here & elsewhere, are so churchy that its hard to picture laymen relatives using them.  If I can coin an inept phrase, many of them seem to be "lucky rosary beads" along the lines of "lucky charms" arms outside the church.  Others, yours most definitely included, manage to blend simple religious allusions (e.g. your cross) with simple non-religious elements (e.g. your canting chief) to create very effective arms that are equally comfortable in or out of orders, depending on the choice of external additaments.

Again, thanks for sharing!