Coat Of Arms Second Draft

George Lucki

George Lucki
Total Posts:  644
Joined  21-11-2004

04 December 2007 21:16

Madalch;51875 wrote:

And I don’t think a woman can be rampant.  (ETA:  And a gentleman would never suggest the term "displayed".)

Hmmm, let’s see the "woman displayed her arms on a lozenge" - why is that problematic?

I think the suggestion that women can’t be rampant is a clear gender bias. I wouldn’t limit what a woman can and can’t be… While it would be an original charge in heraldry here are some examples from nature so to speak - I believe they are all American images:

First the best one - here are some young girls clearly rampant combattant!

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/72419964.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193CC300C081D9F470082531DBB6FC0F709A9C90C239FB09043A55A1E4F32AD3138

And her is an example of a woman rampant or perhaps salient

http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2002/11.07/photos/07-soccer2-225.jpg

Another woman rampant

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/uploaded_images/KickTightRoundedLoRes-733568.jpg

and here is an iconic example of the woman tricorporate rampant which I gather is blasoned a Charlie’s Angel

http://sjisasillyboy.tripod.com/tour/logo4.jpg

Finally here are the parts of a Charlie’s Angel separated out and you can certainly see the rampant posture of the sinister and dexter ones.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/74/039_44780~Charlie-s-Angels-Posters.jpg

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

04 December 2007 21:43

George Lucki;51883 wrote:

Finally here are the parts of a Charlie’s Angel separated out and you can certainly see the rampant posture of the sinister and dexter ones.

Azure, between two foxes rampant, a fox salient proper

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

04 December 2007 21:47

AILD;51861 wrote:

Painted shields? Sorry to be ignorant but what exactly do you mean?  Could you give me one or two visual examples?

No worries. If you use Google images and use search terms like "medieval" and "shield," some reproductions will pop up that provide a general idea of how heraldic shields originated. Someone else here might be aware of a good museum collection of arms and armor with images online.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

04 December 2007 23:19

Quote:

and here is an iconic example of the woman tricorporate rampant which I gather is blasoned a Charlie’s Angel

ROFL!!!

:rotf:

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

04 December 2007 23:23

I’m still waiting for someone to show an emblazonment of Michael’s suggestion.  (And people think heraldry is boring…)

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

04 December 2007 23:32

Linusboarder;51878 wrote:

Josh,

While this attempt is a much better version than your previous one, It still could use some work. Hopefully your membership goes through soon and we can work on design a little more in the member’s area Design thread.

If you are going to try for the Polish style (and I would recommend it) it’s entirely possible you’ll have/want to put some of the symbols in your Crest.

Quote:

I do not find any of your offerings here to be attractive, certanly not more attractive then your heraldic avatar. Why are you dropping the reference to the Porsche arms/logo?

I am certain that George Lucki could assist you in designing Polish style arms which incorporate the horse rampant

I’ve shown the two versions of the coat of arms that I’ve done (The first one in the locked topic, the one in my avatar, and this newest one) to some of my close friends and family.  What I find interesting is when they select their favorite they almost always pick this latest one.

Which, by the way, I made some changes to that I thought needed to be made.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m144/KenrakenOkwaho/SimplerCoatofarms.png

I’m failing to see why this particular design is so…complex or over the top.  Yes I will agree that the first one had too much going on.  This one however, to my eye, and my artistic taste, is not that difficult to describe.

There is a chevron, celtic cross, freu-de-lys, and a wolf.

Due to the lack of blue pigment in the shield itself, I would plan to make the mantling with a white underside, and a blue top.  For the crest I planned to hit upon my Polish roots again with a common symbol for the country of Poland, the eagle.

Alright, for a description of my arms.  The celtic style cross relates to my Irish roots (my second largest nationality) as well as my Christian beliefs.  The Fleu-de-lys hits on my french roots.  The chevron gives a divide but also symbolizes a carpenters square.  Below it you have a wolf to symbolize my cherokee heritage, my love of nature, belief in commitment to one partner, loyalty to family, and persistance…all things that go hand in hand with the true nature of wolves.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

05 December 2007 00:24

Well this one is by far (IMO) the best of the three that you mentioned above. I think it would be a chevronelle, not a chevron in this version.

I guess you mentioned the polish style and I started to expect something extremely simple… like Azure, a wolf rampant argent. There are definitely examples of shields that are busy.

MY only suggestion would be to take you time and don’t rush into anything. There’s a lot of ways to be creative and you don’t want to miss out on something you would really like because you’re in a hurry wink

As a fan of symmetry you may want to just use 2 fleury crosses instead of the Celtic and Fleur De Lis.

George Lucki

George Lucki
Total Posts:  644
Joined  21-11-2004

05 December 2007 02:19

AILD;51897 wrote:

For the crest I planned to hit upon my Polish roots again with a common symbol for the country of Poland, the eagle.

I should caution against that - the Polish white eagle as a crest device is the crest of the ancient Royal Arms of Poland - and has been used in Polish heraldry in crests very very sparingly - the arms of Lech Walesa as an example. It is an immediately recognizable symbol but with 40 million Poles and more than 15 million abroad it would be easily overused. smile You’ll need to choose a different crest. It is more common to use a part of the eagle - I had suggested the wings, but the legs and talons have been used as has the head or a head and wing or a wing and talon, etc. - but there are also other ways to symbolize Polish roots. Where is your family from for example?

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

05 December 2007 03:49

Andrew J Vidal;51862 wrote:

Sable wolf on an Azure field.

And yes Josh the tincture violation rules are very much still in effect. They have been for the better part of the last 700 years and only a small number of arms were ever "granted" that were clear violations (Arms of Jeruselum for example).

As the Late Archbishop Heim wrote in his excellent book "Or and Argent" the tincture rule was never a law until someone wrote it down in a book around 1300 and thereafter everyone copied it. The arms of Jeruzalem never violated the rule as it did not excist in the time the arms were created. There are many "violations" in all realms of heraldry (and this includes the UK) so the "rule" is more of a guideline, but a very good guideline that make sense to be followed but not to strict (for example a field of sable next to one of azure is perfectly exceptable imho).

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 December 2007 06:27

You know, guys, when one moderator warns against detailed design work in the open forum, and another locks the thread for crossing the line, it’s not a real good idea to proceed to open another thread and continue violating the forum rules.