canton

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

15 September 2008 14:39

Jeremy Hammond;63342 wrote:

I have (as explored in a previous thread) devised arms for my maternal grandfather. My mother is not an heiress. I am a bastard and use arms that have nothing to do with my paternal side. How (in)appropriate would it be to augment my arms with a canton of my grandfathers? This question is mostly out of academic curiosity, but I admit, the idea is appealing. I love my grandfather very much and could possibly see doing this. Squash the idea while you still can!

This wouldn’t be an augmentation (which implies recognition of either merit or favor on the part of someone who can grant the augmentation), merely an element of the design.  In my opinion, a canton with your maternal grandfather’s arms on it would be well in keeping with very old heraldic practice, as I understand it.

Now I personally happen to think it would clutter what are now very elegant-looking arms, but there’s no objection other than esthetics that I can see.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

15 September 2008 15:48

I agree with Joe, that it would be a shame to alter your elegant arms.

What about a crest? Do your grandfather’s arms include a crest? What about adopting (or adapting) his crest?

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

15 September 2008 16:43

Joseph McMillan;63350 wrote:

In my opinion, a canton with your maternal grandfather’s arms on it would be well in keeping with very old heraldic practice, as I understand it.

Oh good, being somewhat of a medievalist as well - I like that aspect.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

15 September 2008 16:52

Joseph McMillan;63350 wrote:

Now I personally happen to think it would clutter what are now very elegant-looking arms, but there’s no objection other than esthetics that I can see.

Dohrman Byers;63352 wrote:

I agree with Joe, that it would be a shame to alter your elegant arms.

What about a crest? Do your grandfather’s arms include a crest? What about adopting (or adapting) his crest?

Thank you very much for the compliments. I can’t really make a decision on it yet, anyways. I was mostly curious. My grandfather is still alive (He’s pretty rugged despite approaching 90 and still lobster-fishing in a tiny boat on his own!) and there are Uncles and Aunts who would have a stake in my grandfather’s assumption of arms. So, while I have designed them, I have yet to approach him or any other would-be inheritors about it yet and I wouldn’t feel comfortable displaying my shield with a canton bearing hypothetical arms.

Despite that, I suppose this is what it would look like.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o158/jeremy6857/cantonarms.gif

It does seem a bit intrusive. The shades of Tenne and Or are too close as well.

As for the crest idea - maybe. The proposal for his crest is here.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

15 September 2008 20:36

Both designs (yours & the one for your grandfather) are nice, but IMO the combination is an example of the whole being less than the sum of the parts.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

16 September 2008 00:16

The crest you designed for your grandfather is very nice. For yourself, I could see the same lion holding a sword but per pale Or and Vert (perhaps without the goutte de sang).

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

16 September 2008 09:02

Michael F. McCartney;63364 wrote:

Both designs (yours & the one for your grandfather) are nice, but IMO the combination is an example of the whole being less than the sum of the parts.

I agree for the most part. It was none the less an interesting exercise.

Dohrman Byers;63370 wrote:

The crest you designed for your grandfather is very nice. For yourself, I could see the same lion holding a sword but per pale Or and Vert (perhaps without the goutte de sang).

That’s not a bad idea. I could also add a goute de sang to the sword in my current crest. I’m quite fond of my demi-talbot Sable.

I hope I haven’t hijacked this thread. :?

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

16 September 2008 12:07

Your own arms are elegant.  The arms you designed for your maternal grandfather are simpler and every bit as elegant.  Adding anything to either coat would diminish the effect and the value, in my opinion.  I would support you incorporating something from your grandfather’s arms or crest , perhaps a demi lion with the bloody sword, or use the tinctures from his arms for your crest, or for a badge.